Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 01:53 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times

Advertisements

The sound that I hear all the time, constantly, is #1 in that link, with the #2 clicking sounds occasionally mixed in.

Sometimes I also hear a sound like a big diesel engine idling at a distance, or the neighbors running a generator at a distance.

Tinnitus sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 02:03 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
I can hear #2 now; it's slow clicking against a high pitch. Mine sounds more like a cricket, and there is no roar or steady pitch behind it. I guess I'm lucky.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:18 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,321,661 times
When I was a little girl my ears would "pop" and "click". All the time. Had all sorts of testing and no cause was ever found. No hearing loss. No I can make my ears make the popping sound and I have pretty consistent whooshing sounds. Every once in a while I hear #2 for a few seconds, but not often. I think I've been dealing with it so long that it doesn't bother me as much. Every once in a while I start researching again for a cause and cure.

It can be very disheartening.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:26 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Mine is somewhere between #1 and #3, a fairly high-pitched hissing or ringing sound. It gets louder when I eat white food, rice being the worst. It is also exacerbated by certain medications, notably elavil (amitriptyline) and ibuprofen. It started, according to my ear doctor in 1998, because I took neurontin (gabapentin) for a few months. But the hissing/ringing didn't go away when I stopped taking neurontin.

I find it helpful to run fans, air conditioners, air cleaning machines, etc. Also, I no longer try to listen to music from across the room, as it sounds as if the hiss takes up the entire space between me and the speakers. I'm better off with speakers at my desk and next to my bed. Wireless music came along at just the right time. I find it helps when I watch TV to have the sound at a just audible level and I use the closed captioning function. Turning the volume of anything up loud does not help.
Yup. A noisy room or amped up music can really set my ears off. 5 hours later, my tinnitus will still be much louder than usual. Because of the combination of deafness and tinnitus, I seldom go out to concerts or movies. For movies, I need those captions. Some theaters do offer special headphones for the hearing challenged, but IME, their sound quality is so crappy that I'd rather not. It isn't amplification I need so much as clarity and a quiet background. So I borrow DVDs from the library.

However I will go see true spectacles, because you don't need to catch all the dialog to enjoy those. This year it was Wonder Woman, Dunkirk, and the last Star Wars. Going to see the current Star Wars next week, in 3-D IMax. You sure can't do that on your TV. Then I'll come straight home and keep quiet until the ears calm down.

A good pair of wireless headphones are great for music.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:07 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yup. A noisy room or amped up music can really set my ears off. 5 hours later, my tinnitus will still be much louder than usual. Because of the combination of deafness and tinnitus, I seldom go out to concerts or movies. For movies, I need those captions. Some theaters do offer special headphones for the hearing challenged, but IME, their sound quality is so crappy that I'd rather not. It isn't amplification I need so much as clarity and a quiet background. So I borrow DVDs from the library.

However I will go see true spectacles, because you don't need to catch all the dialog to enjoy those. This year it was Wonder Woman, Dunkirk, and the last Star Wars. Going to see the current Star Wars next week, in 3-D IMax. You sure can't do that on your TV. Then I'll come straight home and keep quiet until the ears calm down.

To me the worst sound is a .357 magnum revolver going off. With many shooters we develop tinnitus first in ear opposite which hand we shoot with - right handers get tinnitus in their left ear first or the opposite for left handers. It has to do with the way the shock wave hits the body. The .357 you feel in your bones, it hurts; I feel more so than some of the larger weapons like the .44 magnum. Ear protectors are very, very, important if you are exposed to loud noise. I now always use both the ear plugs and the earmuffs when shooting or exposed to loud noise.

I always smile when one of the little sports cars pulls up along side and my windows are rattling form their speakers. While I am smiling; I am thinking to myself: You damn dummy! Just a little more time and they will be listening to the same tunes I have listen to all of these years! I hope they like crickets!

Old 12-26-2017, 10:05 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm going to make a doctor's appointment soon about a faint clicking noise I've started hearing over the last week, especially at night. I'm guessing it's tinnitus. I've had cataract surgery recently and hate to start another series of doctor appointments, but obviously I have to.

It really scares me as I had Stage 1A ovarian cancer about six years ago. I hope it's not a tumor. Scary. I'll fight for my life, for sure, but it's such a distraction.

Mostly it's not occurring during the day, and it's not loud, but I just hate having something else like this to deal with.
Is the sound (possible tinnitus) bilateral or unilateral? If it is bilateral (in both ears), you can be close to certain it is not a tumor. Unilateral hearing loss plus tinnitus should increase suspicion for acoustic neuroma.

A clicking sound could possibly be an insect in your ear, TMJ, or a variety of other things.

NSAID's like ibuprofen, aspirin, etc. as well opiate painkillers can cause tinnitus and can make it worse, too.

In addition to seeing your primary care physician, you ought to get in to see an audiologist soon. You won't need a referral to one, since they hope you will also need to buy a hearing aid, thus they are happy to see you, often the same day. Some audiologists don't even charge for the visit.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:55 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

The theater I use has what they call a "gooseneck". It's a small closed caption screen at the end of a flexible gooseneck with a base that fits in the cupholder. If you don't mind being seen with it I find it's perfect.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:37 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Is the sound (possible tinnitus) bilateral or unilateral? If it is bilateral (in both ears), you can be close to certain it is not a tumor. Unilateral hearing loss plus tinnitus should increase suspicion for acoustic neuroma.

A clicking sound could possibly be an insect in your ear, TMJ, or a variety of other things.

NSAID's like ibuprofen, aspirin, etc. as well opiate painkillers can cause tinnitus and can make it worse, too.

In addition to seeing your primary care physician, you ought to get in to see an audiologist soon. You won't need a referral to one, since they hope you will also need to buy a hearing aid, thus they are happy to see you, often the same day. Some audiologists don't even charge for the visit.
Unilateral, just in the right ear. Tried to make an appointment today and they were closed. Will try this afternoon.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
....Mostly it's not occurring during the day, and it's not loud, but I just hate having something else like this to deal with.
How it affects people varies a great deal from what I have read and been told.

Mine started four years ago and the nature of the sounds were various. It would last for three weeks and then stop for awhile, soon that pattern changed and I had it all the time, though sometimes it was softer. Then it changed to become VERY loud and and "soft" was loud.

And then it disappeared after maybe four years.

No changes in diet, prescription medications or herbal medications. I am a boring consistent human being and medical patient. So, who knows.

I would just say, "Take heart." From my experience, at least, it can go all over the lot....and vanish.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:07 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
What a great comfort in reading this thread, as at 67, I think I've finally developed it, in just one ear. It's not that loud, but I just hope it doesn't get louder. So I shall not suffer alone!

Last week, one morning, after showering, I cleaned my right ear with a q-tip and there was some blood on it, which has never happened before, but this is coming from my left ear. Strange!!! Perhaps that was the build up to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness