Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:04 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Oh, I'm paying the $65. The ins. co. didn't, so I have to, it seems. Whatever.

My problem is with not getting my blood test lab results because they refuse to give them to me without another "exam" so they can discuss them or interpret them for me.

All patients have a right to their medical records, is my understanding. And in my state, in particular, there is a statute specifically saying that patients don't need a doctor's release to get blood test lab results.
Welcome to the insurance world. Of course you can request your own records including the lab results. What are you gonna do when your labs say your BUN is elevated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 10:40 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,312,131 times
You can ask for a copy of your complete medical record. The lab result must be in there.

From the Federal government:
https://www.healthit.gov/patients-fa...medical-record

"A provider cannot deny you a copy of your records because you have not paid for the services you have received. If you request an electronic copy of protected health information, a covered entity is required to provide you with such electronic copy to the extent it is readily producible. Covered entities are permitted to charge reasonable, cost-based fees that cover the cost of copying (including supplies and labor) to provide you with a copy of your protected health information. They cannot, however, charge you a fee for searching for or retrieving your records."

Old 01-23-2018, 01:33 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,577,773 times
Quote:

Thanks. Yes, sounds like it was a cost scam, and they're holding my blood test lab results hostage.

I'm just going to pay the $65...that's an insurance thing, BASED UPON SOME INACCURACY IN THE DOCTOR'S RECORDS, because preventive exams are supposed to be no charge to the patient under the ACA. But to make things simple, I'll just pay it.

It's not getting my blood test results that irks me. It's paid for. They're mine. I'll send a letter asking for them, so I'll have that in writing. Then I'll file complaints if they don't send them to me.

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who's been scammed for extra visits.
Does your doctor work at a clinic of multiple doctors or does he work in a private office?

My clinic has an online portal where the lab results of all patients are listed in full. And they give the range of normalcy for each part of the lab tests so you can see if you measured within the normal range.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:59 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
I’d demand an explanation as to why they do it this way and never go back to that doctors office if that’s how they treat people.

My doctor has you come in a week ahead to do a blood draw, then your labs are available to discuss at your visit. It’s not rocket science. If for whatever reason you have a visit where there’s no time, they send the results to their portal and the doctor will make a comment or two on anything that needs attention.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:03 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,561 times
Have you considered he might have seen something concerning in the lab results he needs to review with you?

Old 01-23-2018, 08:09 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,998,620 times
Send the doctor's office a written request for a copy of your blood test results. Include your return address, your full name and date of birth, and sign it. If you really want to make sure they got the request, send it by certified mail. If you're going to complain to a government authority that your doctor won't give you your blood test results, you'll need to show that you properly requested them.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
I went to doctor November for annual exam. (Obamacare)

While I'm there, dr says, oh by the way, I require a "follow up exam" for first time preventive exams. NOW she tells me? So I say okay...it's to go over my lab results, I figure, or whatever. I will have to pay for it out of pocket because of my deductible. Cost anywhere between $65 and $101, they tell me.

Next week I go in to give blood for standard lab work. (They only do it on certain days.)

Then a couple of weeks later, I go in for what I think is a followup exam to discuss lab results and general health. But that's not what it is. She wants to do a whole new physical exam. Weight, blood pressure, oxygen, etc. Everything that had just been done a couple of weeks before. I say no, that I wasn't prepared for this (I secretly figure this is some insurance scam)...I don't want to weigh and such right after Thanksgiving. I pig out at Thanksgiving, so this would be a false picture of my health (I'm in excellent health). So I leave, without having it done.

I just rec'd a "past due" notice from the dr office for $65 that ins co won't pay because it wasn't really a "preventive exam," supposedly. ??? This is my first notice, so it can't be past due.

I call dr. office this morning, and ask them when they first sent the "notice," since it says it's "past due." Girl who sent the letter isn't in. I then ask to be sent a copy of my lab results, since it has been paid for. She refuses...she's not authorized to do that, unless I come in for the nurse to "go over the results" with me (that's the follow up exam that turned out to be a real but fake exam?).

In this state, I've read that patients are entitled to receive their blood work without having to go through a doctor. In other words, I can go into a lab and get it on my own. So this dr office is supposed to give me my results, but is refusing.

Anyone else heard of this? Who would I complain to about this? (I'm stuck paying the $65...you can't argue with invoices they say you owe.) But do I really have to go to a lab and pay to get lab work on my own, when it's already been done and paid for?
Obviously you haven't been seeing a doctor and now just decided to, right? "first time preventive exams"

First if all, that second visit isn't "a whole new physical exam".

That BP, weight routine happens every single time you go to the doctor.

Oxygen? What do you mean "oxygen"? Pulse ox? Funny you just said "etc" after that.

What's the etc???

I don't know all your particulars but what you're describing is routine for a new patient in the place I go.

I never go to the doctor, hadn't for about 7 years for anything "routine" - since I moved out of state. So I made an appointment for a physical - had the first exam. Got chest xrays, a bone density and other stuff.

Came back to give blood. YOU HAVE TO BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DO FASTING.

Then came back for the final review and I also included a gyn because I had assumed he'd give me a referral and I didn't know he'd do it himself so I had him do it..

I think you said it. You just didn't want your weight recorded. Or to pay your co-pay.

I paid a co-pay but I don't have Obamacare. Mine is $15.00.

Why didn't you just call the office and speak with the billing people? It's possible it was coded wrong. You just walked OUT? No wonder you got billed.

I also believe your labwork is available on a portal. Did you even ask about that?

And NO.

You guys are not qualified to interpret your own Labs.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-23-2018 at 08:20 AM..

Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I’d demand an explanation as to why they do it this way and never go back to that doctors office if that’s how they treat people.

My doctor has you come in a week ahead to do a blood draw, then your labs are available to discuss at your visit. It’s not rocket science. If for whatever reason you have a visit where there’s no time, they send the results to their portal and the doctor will make a comment or two on anything that needs attention.
It wasn't "their doctor".

It was an initial visit for a first time patient. THEN they ordered the blood work visit and the follow up which would be the EXACT same as YOUR doctor. Your doctor already KNOWS you and has your HISTORY and this doctor DIDN'T.

Hence the need to meet with the patient for the INITIAL visit to even KNOW anything about the guy and what to order.

LOL your doctor "make a comment" on your portal? And that's your "visit"???

THAT'S the guy I'd never go back to.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Does your doctor work at a clinic of multiple doctors or does he work in a private office?

My clinic has an online portal where the lab results of all patients are listed in full. And they give the range of normalcy for each part of the lab tests so you can see if you measured within the normal range.
And you GO BACK to review those labs. When you're a completely new patient like the OP.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:31 AM

Also funny to me people don't want to even invest the cost of ONE VISIT in their health.

Universal Health Care indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness