Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I would not be making a return visit to that doc! We are lucky we have a portal that we log into and the results of any tests are posted usually within a day or two. Only occasionally has my husband had to see the doctor concerning a blood test result, but only when there is an issue that needs to be addressed.
That's how mine works as well.
If there is anything that needs attention after the tests, I have the option of doing a teleconference with the doctor or PA at no charge.

It's pretty insane that they charged the OP for a follow-up.
I'd look for another provider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 09:08 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I went to doctor November for annual exam. (Obamacare)

While I'm there, dr says, oh by the way, I require a "follow up exam" for first time preventive exams. NOW she tells me? So I say okay...it's to go over my lab results, I figure, or whatever. I will have to pay for it out of pocket because of my deductible. Cost anywhere between $65 and $101, they tell me.

Next week I go in to give blood for standard lab work. (They only do it on certain days.)

Then a couple of weeks later, I go in for what I think is a followup exam to discuss lab results and general health. But that's not what it is. She wants to do a whole new physical exam. Weight, blood pressure, oxygen, etc. Everything that had just been done a couple of weeks before. I say no, that I wasn't prepared for this (I secretly figure this is some insurance scam)...I don't want to weigh and such right after Thanksgiving. I pig out at Thanksgiving, so this would be a false picture of my health (I'm in excellent health). So I leave, without having it done.

I just rec'd a "past due" notice from the dr office for $65 that ins co won't pay because it wasn't really a "preventive exam," supposedly. ??? This is my first notice, so it can't be past due.

I call dr. office this morning, and ask them when they first sent the "notice," since it says it's "past due." Girl who sent the letter isn't in. I then ask to be sent a copy of my lab results, since it has been paid for. She refuses...she's not authorized to do that, unless I come in for the nurse to "go over the results" with me (that's the follow up exam that turned out to be a real but fake exam?).

In this state, I've read that patients are entitled to receive their blood work without having to go through a doctor. In other words, I can go into a lab and get it on my own. So this dr office is supposed to give me my results, but is refusing.

Anyone else heard of this? Who would I complain to about this? (I'm stuck paying the $65...you can't argue with invoices they say you owe.) But do I really have to go to a lab and pay to get lab work on my own, when it's already been done and paid for?
Shouldn't you rest assured that everything is fine? That is, if there was a medical issue, doesn't the doctor have a responsibility to give you that information immediately and to begin treatment for health issues as soon as possible?

Around here, the only reason you hear anything about test results is if there is a problem. No news is good news.

If I were in your position, I would send a written notice to the doctor stating that because you have not heard anything regarding your test results, you are going to assume that you are in excellent health, and that if you were not in excellent health you know for a fact that the doctor would have notified you and initiated treatment immediately.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:13 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,782,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Around here, the only reason you hear anything about test results is if there is a problem. No news is good news.
This is bad advice. Mistakes happen, lab specimens get lost, results on the fax get swept up with other papers and never seen, etc, etc. You should always verify results. On 2 occasions I have performed a biopsy and mailed it to the pathology lab and when we call them a week later they say they never got it.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
And you GO BACK to review those labs. When you're a completely new patient like the OP.
This was not my experience when I started with my current doctor back in 2016.
She had me get all of my labs done BEFORE my initial visit so that she had all of the results available during that first exam.

If a doctor insists on seeing you first and then doing labs, there absolutely should not be a charge to report those results whether in-person, over the phone or what-have-you.
I'd advise anyone starting a new relationship with a provider to find out in advance exactly how the preventative care process works for that office up front.
There is absolutely no excuse for the sort of surprise that the OP experienced.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:19 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I went to doctor November for annual exam. (Obamacare)

While I'm there, dr says, oh by the way, I require a "follow up exam" for first time preventive exams. NOW she tells me? So I say okay...it's to go over my lab results, I figure, or whatever. I will have to pay for it out of pocket because of my deductible. Cost anywhere between $65 and $101, they tell me.

Next week I go in to give blood for standard lab work. (They only do it on certain days.)

Then a couple of weeks later, I go in for what I think is a followup exam to discuss lab results and general health. But that's not what it is. She wants to do a whole new physical exam. Weight, blood pressure, oxygen, etc. Everything that had just been done a couple of weeks before. I say no, that I wasn't prepared for this (I secretly figure this is some insurance scam)...I don't want to weigh and such right after Thanksgiving. I pig out at Thanksgiving, so this would be a false picture of my health (I'm in excellent health). So I leave, without having it done.

I just rec'd a "past due" notice from the dr office for $65 that ins co won't pay because it wasn't really a "preventive exam," supposedly. ??? This is my first notice, so it can't be past due.

I call dr. office this morning, and ask them when they first sent the "notice," since it says it's "past due." Girl who sent the letter isn't in. I then ask to be sent a copy of my lab results, since it has been paid for. She refuses...she's not authorized to do that, unless I come in for the nurse to "go over the results" with me (that's the follow up exam that turned out to be a real but fake exam?).

In this state, I've read that patients are entitled to receive their blood work without having to go through a doctor. In other words, I can go into a lab and get it on my own. So this dr office is supposed to give me my results, but is refusing.

Anyone else heard of this? Who would I complain to about this? (I'm stuck paying the $65...you can't argue with invoices they say you owe.) But do I really have to go to a lab and pay to get lab work on my own, when it's already been done and paid for?
The billing part happened to me WAY before the ACA . Ins companies have been scamming/killing us off for many years now . For whatever reason my husband's ins refused to pay for a regular ordinary preventative ( which was loudly stated as covered 100%) mammogram . they billed me a full on $500 and sent it to collections before 30 days had passed - meanwhile adding on interest and trashing my credit . I tried to negotiate then flat out fought with both collections AND the ins. co alike. I would not give up and finally after Id taken the hit ( but interest still climbing ) they took it off . Every 30 days I disputed it .

In your case though , I would go to the Dr's office in the event you don't like /understand something on the report you may have a question about. in my family we have a few serious issues that I would not want to find ANYthing out without my Dr there . If you don't have an MD or a DO you really should not try to interpret it yourself . Pay it if you can and go on back to the Dr. Also the height weight and all that they do on check in Is not an insurance scam - it is an accurate report on how your body is functioning on that day so they are kept up to date and know what is going on .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 01-23-2018 at 09:38 AM..

Old 01-23-2018, 10:03 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Welcome to the insurance world. Of course you can request your own records including the lab results. What are you gonna do when your labs say your BUN is elevated?
ONe can do some of their own work on lowering BUN, I've been there. As I see it too, doctors today don't like that their patients are learning about labs and how to take care of their health.

One member said go to the office and just about demand a hard copy. One can get their whole file hard copied as far as I know,,a charge involved but I had this done years ago when changing MD's. I think it cost me $22 --

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-23-2018 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-23-2018, 10:11 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Welcome to the insurance world. Of course you can request your own records including the lab results. What are you gonna do when your labs say your BUN is elevated?
Wouldn't the doctor's office call you and schedule a follow-up visit if it was significant? That's what my doctors have always done.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:29 AM

1,656 posts, read 2,782,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Wouldn't the doctor's office call you and schedule a follow-up visit if it was significant? That's what my doctors have always done.
That's my point. We don't know if that's the reason the OP was asked to come back.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:03 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Go to the doctors office and request a copy of all your medical records. They cannot deny that request. If they do deny, tell them you will report them (I dont know who you would report them to). I have a copy of all my medical records. I keep them in a folder but that is getting pretty fat. I'm going to have to get a binder.

The office workers will be able to make copies for you. They do not need the doctors permission. If they balk, report them.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:03 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It wasn't "their doctor".

It was an initial visit for a first time patient. THEN they ordered the blood work visit and the follow up which would be the EXACT same as YOUR doctor. Your doctor already KNOWS you and has your HISTORY and this doctor DIDN'T.

Hence the need to meet with the patient for the INITIAL visit to even KNOW anything about the guy and what to order.

LOL your doctor "make a comment" on your portal? And that's your "visit"???

THAT'S the guy I'd never go back to.
Normal visits the blood work is done, they have a printout, which they give to me and also upload to the portal. I was talking mostly about sick visits or things here they are confirming something they pretty much already knew and yes, a paragraph saying this is it, do what we talked about and call me with questions is more than adequate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness