Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 12:22 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
My mom's 90. She was an RN in a medical/surgical ward in a county hospital her entire adult life until she retired. Her view is people get well despite their medical care.

* Mom has never had a colonoscopy
* Mom has never had a mammogram
* Mom's knee has been bad for 30 years, but she has never seen a doctor about replacing it.

Aside from childbirth and cataract surgery, mom hasn't seen a doctor for decades... but a couple years ago she had a TIA, so consented to see a gerontologist once/year. Aside from an annual blood test, she declines all medical care. In her case, she's willing to have the blood tests because they've shown she has a cholesterol issue (now on a statin) and a thyroid problem. Her first meeting with her doctor she told him she had no interest in anything more extensive, so he doesn't push her.

Mom's view is when it's her time to go, it's her time to go.

Similarly, my view is when it's my time to go, just push me in front of a bus.
Sounds like my mom and me in many ways and mom lived to 91 and I'm hitting 82....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 12:55 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
This is bogus. Life expectancy is a meaningless statistical marker that doesn't tell us how long we are living. If you have two children and one dies at 35 and one at 70 their life expectancy is 35. So now that we aren't in wars every five seconds and children have better care.. our life expectancy is had gone up... but it says nothing about our longevity which is going down.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...rsus-longevity
The article you linked to very clearly describes the distinction between longevity - how long a person could theoretically live - and life expectancy - how long people on average actually do live.

Life expectancy is a population metric, and it is not based on two people.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:55 PM

13,252 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Oddly enough my grandparents on my fathers side ate perfect food, exercised, got all medical care they needed. Grandfather got his last stent put in at 91 years old. He was still driving a car when he finely had a cardiac arrest. They had driven to a furniture store and he was walking around the back of the car after helping my grandmother into the car and never came back around the car. She found him out at the back of the car he had advanced prostate cancer he seemed not to acknowledge it when I asked him about it. My uncle told me about it the weekend I was there before he passed when he had been taken to the hospital I got there just after he passed away. They refused treatment for his heart because they didn't want him to suffer though the painful tumors which get into the bones around the prostate. He had been taking hormone treatment to keep cancer under control for years but in the last year his PSA went way up and the doctor stopped all treatment. In their case they had lots of younger family members including my uncle and me to help them I won't have that luxury.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:20 PM

Everyone is Unique, my parents ate everything, fats, beef, sugar/carbs, dad drank and no real health issues and both lived to 91 and 95 and their hearts didn't want to stop.

The docs wanted to give my dad a pacemaker in his 90's, 4 docs attempted to, and he refused, why, so the medical world makes more $$$...that's what it is so much......he went when it stopped....90 yrs is a long run and so many are just tired and ready to rest in peace.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-02-2020 at 01:29 PM..

Old 08-02-2020, 01:28 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times
I just feel like it is obvious that messing around in your body hurts it. We simply don't know everything that goes on so doctors should go back to what they are supposed to do "First do no harm" unless they can be sure that there is no harm or minimal harm.. do not do it.

I will take drugs that were tested prior to 1990, I feel there were better safeguards in place then. But I try to be as drug free as possible.

I will do diagnostic tests which are non invasive and have reasonable to low radiation.

My mom never had a mammogram until she was 70 at which time they found "breast cancer" scared the crud out of her. No it was that kind of breast cancer that goes away on its own and that is exactly what happened.

He got several colonoscopy which almost killed her twice, finally the doctors decided to cut it out.

Probably due to the colonoscopy and damage done there, her gastro convinced her to take an unneeded PPI for 10 years and sure enough, as it says on the label, she got stomach cancer.

Thanks mom, you taught me a good lesson... just stay away from doctors as best you can and avoid modern drugs.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Everyone is Unique, my parents ate everything, fats, beef, sugar/carbs, dad drank and no real health issues and both lived to 91 and 95 and their hearts didn't want to stop.

The docs wanted to give my dad a pacemaker in his 90's, 4 docs attempted to, and he refused, why, so the medical world makes more $$$...that's what it is so much......he went when it stopped....
If he had "no real health issues" perhaps with the pacemaker he would have had a few more good years. Many people would consider that $$$ well spent, perhaps to see the births of great grandchildren.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If he had "no real health issues" perhaps with the pacemaker he would have had a few more good years. Many people would consider that $$$ well spent, perhaps to see the births of great grandchildren.
He had some good years until 95 w/out the pacemaker...he was tired and ready to go...don't you get this????Many are ready and keep hanging on for more machines and drugs....

Old 08-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
He had some good years until 95 w/out the pacemaker...he was tired and ready to go...don't you get this????Many are ready and keep hanging on for more machines and drugs....
There are others who do want to go on. Don't you get that?

Old 08-02-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are others who do want to go on. Don't you get that?
I'm talking about my dad, not others... And yes, I get that...thanks.

And everyone has their lives, and why bring great grandchildern into all this? We've lived 1000's miles from my parents for decades and people continue to go on close in distance or far away.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about my dad, not others... And yes, I get that...thanks.

And everyone has their lives, and why bring great grandchildern into all this? We've lived 1000's miles from my parents for decades and people continue to go on close in distance or far away.
You said that people get offered treatment "so the medical world makes more $$$". That is not true. Not everyone is like your dad.

I used living to see great grandchildren as a reason some people would accept the pacemaker your father refused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness