Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 02:50 PM

20 posts, read 43,409 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I am worried about this pain i'm having so I would like to ask for some advice before I pay for a doctors visit that I cannot even afford right now.

Two days ago I woke up with really strong pain in my ribs on the left side of my ribcage. It hurts when I touch it, when I breath in deep and I have no other symptoms. The pain goes all the way towards my back on the same side and to my chestbone but it's the most intense right below my left breast. Nothing takes away the pain, not usual painkillers either. It definietely feels like i've hit my ribs on something, like a really hard hit, but I have not and I also do not exercise and haven't done anything out of the ordinary such as lifting anything heavy.
The only other symptoms I have are what i'm guessing is acid reflux which I have had problems with on and off for about 4 years now, docs have already given me prescription medication for upset stomach but I didn't take it for very long because it made matters worse.
Whenever I eat something (doesnt matter what it is) I feel like I need to belch and it starts to burn all over my chest and throat and it does not go away. Like I wrote though this is an old issue for me, whenever it happens again I usually just cut coffee out of my diet for a couple of months and try to avoid other things that makes it worse as well such as acidic food and fruits. Now I just wonder if acid reflux can cause pain in the ribs? Or possibly gas? And if so, how do I release it?! I have tried massaging the area.

I am prone to feeling anxious and getting chestpains and shortness of breath etc. from that so last time I went to a doc for those symptoms a bit over a year ago they did tests and even x-rayed my chest/lungs because I was on birth control back then so they wanted to check for blood clots just in case and they found no problems and also told me that if it hurts more when adding light pressure to the area it's most likely muscle pain because if it's the heart you can't make the pain worse by adding pressure?? So that is all I know but yeah I haven't used any muscle in the area, all I can think of is that I slipped on some ice a couple of hours before the pain came on but I didnt hurt myself anywhere, it was really just what I can recall my leg that hit the ground the hardest and that didn't even leave a bruise so. Doubt it was the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 03:41 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
You can't post a possibly serious health condition on a forum and expect answers - go to the doctor...... jeesh.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:45 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
My husband has a similar situation he was sick prior to having this pain. He was coughing a lot. Turns out he has a broken rib! He got a scan and that's what it was. Took a month or 2 to heal. Nothing you can really do for except rest and try not to lift heavy objects. Only way to know is to have an X-ray.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You can't post a possibly serious health condition on a forum and expect answers - go to the doctor...... jeesh.
You don't have to respond unless you have an answer.Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-31-2018 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My husband has a similar situation he was sick prior to having this pain. He was coughing a lot. Turns out he has a broken rib! He got a scan and that's what it was. Took a month or 2 to heal. Nothing you can really do for except rest and try not to lift heavy objects. Only way to know is to have an X-ray.
Okay that's awful. I'm not coughing though and I rarely have cough.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:42 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
It sounds like it may be a hiatal hernia. Or a number of other things. I would go to the doctor if I were you.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:01 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Sounds like my occasional costochondritis. You can read about that here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20371175

But like others have said, see a doctor, don't self-diagnose.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:20 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
The only way to moderate the pain of a rib fracture is tape across it, along the line of the rib, and wait 6 weeks.
Reflux is more serious as it indicates a number of issues. If ant acids are not effective bump it up to Prilosec and see a doctor.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:02 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Pluerisy or walking pnuemonia come to mind (but in my mind they are spelled correctly).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-01-2018, 01:06 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknesssky View Post
Hi.

I am worried about this pain i'm having so I would like to ask for some advice before I pay for a doctors visit that I cannot even afford right now.

Two days ago I woke up with really strong pain in my ribs on the left side of my ribcage. It hurts when I touch it, when I breath in deep and I have no other symptoms. The pain goes all the way towards my back on the same side and to my chestbone but it's the most intense right below my left breast. Nothing takes away the pain, not usual painkillers either. It definietely feels like i've hit my ribs on something, like a really hard hit, but I have not and I also do not exercise and haven't done anything out of the ordinary such as lifting anything heavy.
The only other symptoms I have are what i'm guessing is acid reflux which I have had problems with on and off for about 4 years now, docs have already given me prescription medication for upset stomach but I didn't take it for very long because it made matters worse.
Whenever I eat something (doesnt matter what it is) I feel like I need to belch and it starts to burn all over my chest and throat and it does not go away. Like I wrote though this is an old issue for me, whenever it happens again I usually just cut coffee out of my diet for a couple of months and try to avoid other things that makes it worse as well such as acidic food and fruits. Now I just wonder if acid reflux can cause pain in the ribs? Or possibly gas? And if so, how do I release it?! I have tried massaging the area.

I am prone to feeling anxious and getting chestpains and shortness of breath etc. from that so last time I went to a doc for those symptoms a bit over a year ago they did tests and even x-rayed my chest/lungs because I was on birth control back then so they wanted to check for blood clots just in case and they found no problems and also told me that if it hurts more when adding light pressure to the area it's most likely muscle pain because if it's the heart you can't make the pain worse by adding pressure?? So that is all I know but yeah I haven't used any muscle in the area, all I can think of is that I slipped on some ice a couple of hours before the pain came on but I didnt hurt myself anywhere, it was really just what I can recall my leg that hit the ground the hardest and that didn't even leave a bruise so. Doubt it was the fall.
Boil water and add Cumin seeds to it and drink to see if it gives relief. It usualy does, but if taken in excess you get belching and doesnt let you sleep easily.

Better to consult a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness