Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:55 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times

Advertisements

Makes sense to me.......
"Regular use of cleaning sprays has an impact on lung health comparable with smoking a pack of cigarettes every day, according to a new study."

Cleaning products as bad for lungs as smoking 20 cigarettes a day, scientists warn | The Independent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 01:39 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Can't access the actual journal article...

I'm amazed that something with such strong apparent effects has been overlooked - too bad they couldn't document the same effect for men because there were not enough subjects. What is odd is that professional cleaners were no more impacted than women who cleaned their own homes but I wonder how they defined that. And you can't find male janitors who also use cleaning chemicals? They also say that cloths and water would suffice for most cleaning jobs. Hmmmm...yes, perfect for cleaning floors and toilets.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:52 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Can't access the actual journal article...

I'm amazed that something with such strong apparent effects has been overlooked - too bad they couldn't document the same effect for men because there were not enough subjects. What is odd is that professional cleaners were no more impacted than women who cleaned their own homes but I wonder how they defined that. And you can't find male janitors who also use cleaning chemicals? They also say that cloths and water would suffice for most cleaning jobs. Hmmmm...yes, perfect for cleaning floors and toilets.
http://www.thoracic.org/about/newsro...g-function.pdf

The biggest problem I have is with not defining "cleaning chemicals" and I do not see an adjustment for the frequency of use apart from commercial versus home cleaning.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:31 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
All these years I knew housework was bad for me!

Old 02-18-2018, 03:34 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
http://www.thoracic.org/about/newsro...g-function.pdf

The biggest problem I have is with not defining "cleaning chemicals" and I do not see an adjustment for the frequency of use apart from commercial versus home cleaning.
Agree. Such a broad generalized statement isn't very helpful at all. The ingredients in "cleaning products" are all over the map. The concentrations of the ingredients in "cleaning products" are all over the map. Heck, the inactive ingredients in "cleaning products" are all over the map!!! This doesn't even touch on the fact that people have individual sensitivities to many safe ingredients. What bothers one person may have no affect on someone else. Frequency of use matters as suzy q said. Some ingredients technically possible to bathe in will have different effects than the same ingredient used once a month. What happens if you use the chemical once a day? 20 times a day? Once a year? Coat every piece of clothing you own in it? Mix it with the wrong otherwise safe chemical?

Then you have to actually prove causation. An anecdote: My family took vacations at southern CA beaches back in the 60s. At that time the beaches sometimes got contaminated with oil spilled from tankers and offshore oil rigs. We would often end up with tar on our feet. My Dad, a Cal Tech grad chem engineer, used carbon tetrachloride to clean off the tar. Can it be traced as the cause of my breast cancer 25 years later? Its a known carcinogen. But so are certain forms of crude oil. My Dad, who dabbled around with such chemicals over a long career, never developed cancer. Too many other unknown factors.

Speaking of bathing in it, you may or may not know that water is often described as "the universal solvent". If you include water in your definition of a "cleaning product" remember even it can have adverse health effects if you misuse it. Ever hear of drowning? Scalding? Hypothermia? Frostbite?

Now, if you state which of these ingredients, at a specific concentration, in conjunction with all the other ingredients that are present along with it, in a specific cleaning product, maybe you can make a point.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-18-2018 at 03:57 PM..

Old 02-20-2018, 11:30 AM

42 posts, read 57,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What is odd is that professional cleaners were no more impacted than women who cleaned their own homes but I wonder how they defined that. And you can't find male janitors who also use cleaning chemicals? They also say that cloths and water would suffice for most cleaning jobs. Hmmmm...yes, perfect for cleaning floors and toilets.
This is anecdotal, only a few cases in places I've worked, but in commercial settings where I've been, most of the janitors I knew were male. One of them in particular I was alright friends with, and we spoke on breaks.

What seems to be the difference I saw, was how they treated the chemicals and products. Looking at the back of many cleaning products, they are often designed to be diluted anywhere from 2:1 to 100:1. As others have mentioned, water is the universal solvent, and it often only takes a little "boost" from a surfactant to cut oils. In fact, some of these cleaners are less effective when not diluted, because they were designed to work in a mixture with water. Meanwhile, how many homeowners are using things full strength, or even creating hazardous mixtures?

The janitor I knew well, he wore safety glasses almost all the time I saw him. This was in an industrial environment, and we would wear glasses when drilling, grinding, etc., but this man wore them at all times. I think being splashed with something from his mop bucket was just as much of a concern for him as walking through an area where dangerous work was being performed. In places where he was mopping, he'd set up hurricane fans and open doors before getting to work.

Finally, this man had a very thorough knowledge of the cleaning products he used. I remember watching him go through the cafeteria, and the cook asked him if he could look at a stain on the floor. He takes a brief look at it, and tells her that the fluid in his mop bucket is not alkaline enough to touch the stain, but that he'll be back that afternoon with the right chemical.

I think the bigges thing we can do in our homes, is to use less of all these substances. I get wanting to keep pathogens away, but so much of this is about clearing away the tangible messes of dirt, foods, or fluids that might carry these bugs. A wet rag is fine to clear the mess from a counter. Once the surface is visibly clean, a diluted disinfectant solution has no trouble killing any germs. Better this than spraying down a full strength cleaner that creates a mist in the air and a residue on the surface.

Additionally, how many cleaners do we use that are designed to smell "clean" (like mountain streams or ocean breeze or something)? To me, clean should smell like nothing. All of these scents are simply more chemicals that have to be taken into the lungs. Incidentally, it seems that industrial cleaners often have far less of these fragrances.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:21 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Not surprising if you think about it. Beauticians supposedly get high rates of a cancer because of their daily exposure to chemicals.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:45 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesium View Post
This is anecdotal, only a few cases in places I've worked, but in commercial settings where I've been, most of the janitors I knew were male. One of them in particular I was alright friends with, and we spoke on breaks.

What seems to be the difference I saw, was how they treated the chemicals and products. Looking at the back of many cleaning products, they are often designed to be diluted anywhere from 2:1 to 100:1. As others have mentioned, water is the universal solvent, and it often only takes a little "boost" from a surfactant to cut oils. In fact, some of these cleaners are less effective when not diluted, because they were designed to work in a mixture with water. Meanwhile, how many homeowners are using things full strength, or even creating hazardous mixtures?

The janitor I knew well, he wore safety glasses almost all the time I saw him. This was in an industrial environment, and we would wear glasses when drilling, grinding, etc., but this man wore them at all times. I think being splashed with something from his mop bucket was just as much of a concern for him as walking through an area where dangerous work was being performed. In places where he was mopping, he'd set up hurricane fans and open doors before getting to work.

Finally, this man had a very thorough knowledge of the cleaning products he used. I remember watching him go through the cafeteria, and the cook asked him if he could look at a stain on the floor. He takes a brief look at it, and tells her that the fluid in his mop bucket is not alkaline enough to touch the stain, but that he'll be back that afternoon with the right chemical.

I think the bigges thing we can do in our homes, is to use less of all these substances. I get wanting to keep pathogens away, but so much of this is about clearing away the tangible messes of dirt, foods, or fluids that might carry these bugs. A wet rag is fine to clear the mess from a counter. Once the surface is visibly clean, a diluted disinfectant solution has no trouble killing any germs. Better this than spraying down a full strength cleaner that creates a mist in the air and a residue on the surface.

Additionally, how many cleaners do we use that are designed to smell "clean" (like mountain streams or ocean breeze or something)? To me, clean should smell like nothing. All of these scents are simply more chemicals that have to be taken into the lungs. Incidentally, it seems that industrial cleaners often have far less of these fragrances.
Great post! Consumer product advertising that bugs me most are those for household cleaners and fragrances. I have never felt the need for my bathroom to smell like some lavender farm in France and probably never will. Because of my birds I tend to use non-volatile veterinary-grade safe disinfectants to clean most surfaces. They are not perfumed, not expensive, not dyed, no fancy mixtures, and are quite simply effective at low concentrations.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
We dont need to clean with dangerous chemicals..I dont.. hot water, BioDwashing up liquid for all cleaning ,dishes in my house... some apple cider vinegar with orange peel as a disnfectant for worktops etc....no one needs all these scented overpowering chemicals in the home and Ihavent used any canned sprays around the house in years... check the junk in the ingredients and youll find Formaldehyde in there although it might be called by another name. so look out for it and other harmful junk..... this is how they get round using the dangerous fluid in cosmetics and cleaners ...

Formalin.all these are the same as formadehyde.. used for embalming and very dangerous
Formic aldehyde.
Methanediol.
Methanal.
Methyl aldehyde.
Methylene glycol.
Methylene oxide.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:47 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
We dont need to clean with dangerous chemicals..I dont.. hot water, BioDwashing up liquid for all cleaning ,dishes in my house... some apple cider vinegar with orange peel as a disnfectant for worktops etc....no one needs all these scented overpowering chemicals in the home and Ihavent used any canned sprays around the house in years... check the junk in the ingredients and youll find Formaldehyde in there although it might be called by another name. so look out for it and other harmful junk..... this is how they get round using the dangerous fluid in cosmetics and cleaners ...

Formalin.all these are the same as formadehyde.. used for embalming and very dangerous
Formic aldehyde.
Methanediol.
Methanal.
Methyl aldehyde.
Methylene glycol.
Methylene oxide.
Formaldehyde is found in food and your own body makes it.

http://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/whatsn...rmaldehyde.pdf

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...maldehyde.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness