Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 11:48 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,848 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I get heartburn alot.

Do you know how to limit the heartburn naturally rather then taking Nexium pillst? I frequently take Nexium.

Is there a special type of water I can drink to reduce heartburn?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 11:53 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
I can't take Nexium as it causes more problems than it solves. If you Google heartburn, you will see many suggestions such as not eating before bedtime, reducing your acid from foods such as tomatoes or coffee, and sleeping with your head elevated. However, the best advice is to consult with your own doctor who knows your medical history and do the proper tests to determine the cause.

Best wishes to you.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:11 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I can't take Nexium as it causes more problems than it solves. If you Google heartburn, you will see many suggestions such as not eating before bedtime, reducing your acid from foods such as tomatoes or coffee, and sleeping with your head elevated. However, the best advice is to consult with your own doctor who knows your medical history and do the proper tests to determine the cause.

Best wishes to you.

Yes, this.

Never seen any studies that water of any kind will reduce heartburn...unless it might make it less bothersome due to dilutions of stomach acids.

Have you been told you have GERD by a MD? Google the diagnosis and treatment for same and see if it fits with your symptoms.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:17 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I have no idea why so many get heartburn and I had it once when I was pregnant over 50 yrs ago and yes I remember...never since. If I ever get a upset or distress in my stomach, I would take a little baking soda in water. I guess if I were plagued with H.B. I might see a doctor or do a search on remedies. Foods, can play a part, but I eat spicy foods...

Old 04-08-2018, 12:44 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
... you will see many suggestions such as not eating before bedtime ....
According to my gastroenterologist "before bedtime" means "within three hours of lying down." Being careful about this has helped me.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:49 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
OK, take this for what it is, but I'm just relaying my own experience. I get heartburn when I eat flour or refined sugar - mostly in the form of processed foods. When I don't eat it, I don't have heartburn. Lots of people will attribute it to spicy or greasy foods, but neither one of those bothers me.

Maybe keep a food journal and note when you have heartburn and then try eliminating those foods from your diet.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:59 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
The web is full of links to apple cider vinegar to help heartburn: https://www.healthline.com/health/di...eflux#takeaway. They point out that the evidence is not conclusive.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:23 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Avoiding acidic and sugary foods helped my reflux a lot. Also, finishing dinner by 5pm helped a ton.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:44 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,848 times
Thank you all soo much for your reply and help

Old 04-08-2018, 05:47 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
OK, take this for what it is, but I'm just relaying my own experience. I get heartburn when I eat flour or refined sugar - mostly in the form of processed foods. When I don't eat it, I don't have heartburn. Lots of people will attribute it to spicy or greasy foods, but neither one of those bothers me.
This has been my experience as well. Until I changed my diet last year I suffered heartburn daily. I was taking Prilosec daily in the morning and then popping Tums like candy over the remainder of the day. I do have a hiatal hernia and my doctor put me on the Prilosec for that as the hernia is not severe enough to justify corrective surgery. I still take that pill each day but after cutting way down on processed sugars and starches I no longer feel the need to ingest the Tums. In fact I don't even keep Tums in the house anymore.

The majority of the foods I eat now are spicy and acidic. I suspect my old starchy diet prompted my digestive system to generate more acid to digest the starches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness