Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 06:51 AM

898 posts, read 603,755 times

Advertisements

Two years ago, I thought my then 85-1/2 year old dad was taking a huge chance getting a knee replacement done....Well, tomorrow, at now 87-1/2, he is getting a hip replacement done! With his age, and his roughly 300 pound weight, I'm surprised that the surgeon, PCP, and cardiologist all gave him the green light. He can't walk without his 4 wheel walker and I don't see that changing after surgery. I think his goal is really just pain relief from his arthritic hip. The surgeon's PA told my dad 2-3 days in the hospital, then maybe a week or two in rehab, then visiting nurse and visiting physical therapist. He doesn't know my dad too well. This will be his 4th major surgery in I think 3 years, and he always ends up in rehab for at least a month. My big fear is him not able to walk at all after the hip replacement.

He also has been having an issue with his INR not changing to the correct level for surgery after coming off of his Warfarin. Hopefully it's correct tomorrow because he will not be a happy camper if they stick him in a hospital bed for a day or two and postpone the surgery. I won't be if I have to haul him back home....

So I wait patiently with my phone close by to find out what time I have to have him at the hospital tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 08:40 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,237,377 times
I am sure the doctors know what they are doing and it has been said, hip is the easiest of all joint replacements so he should be fine. That being said, some surgeons prefer to not do replacement after 85. For myself I don't think I would tackle it, but we are all different. Keep us informed about how your dad does.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:08 PM

898 posts, read 603,755 times
Ugh... have to have him at the joint unit for 5am...means leave the house at 4:15. LONG walk pushing him in his wheelchair through the hospital. My Fiance had emergency triple bypass there last November followed by back surgery in December. Too intimate with the place now.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:04 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,910,025 times
One friend had a knee replacement at 86, she's 91 now..and doing good.

One other friend had a hip replacement at 82 in 2010 and then the other one at 90, first one was posterior, second was anterior. She's doing good considering, not walking great, using rollater but functioning. She has bodywide arthritis. These two friends are very slender.

I had hip replacement at 72 and live with 3 nasty complications, long story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness