Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 07:33 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times

Advertisements

My doctor put me on low dose Propranolol for hand tremor. Can anyone speak to the use of this med? I really don't like taking meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 07:58 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Took that beta blocker and others many years ago for high blood pressure which was its original purpose along with easing angina. It was subsequently found to be helpful in a number of other conditions including tremors.

Biggest side effect I found was cold hands. It also lowered my heart rate, down to as low as 36 beats per minute. There were no symptoms from this side effect and MDs over the years weren't concerned except for one I started seeing a couple of years ago. He ordered no more beta blockers.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
I'll take the rest of the prescription but I don't think I'm liking this stuff. I feel washed out.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:48 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I do know it's an expensive medication that my DH doctor wanted him on for slightly elevated BP. It would have cost us $200 a month with insurance! We had the doctor change the med to something less expensive.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:54 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I do know it's an expensive medication that my DH doctor wanted him on for slightly elevated BP. It would have cost us $200 a month with insurance! We had the doctor change the med to something less expensive.
You have said your husband has slightly elevated BP, what is slight? I take an old class, Atenolol and I have no insurance and it costs me like $19 for a 90 day supply. Then along the way, the BP was not low enough so she put me on 5mg Amlopedine and 90 day supply about $20 or so. Why the high price push on the BP meds...nuts. It's come to my mind that when they deal with patients with drug insurance they milk the most of it possible...the less insurance the less one pays, I've found anyway. Pushing the latest and greatest pricey drugs.

Celery is a food that does reduce blood pressure. It's a diuretic of sorts. It relaxes the blood vessels and acts as a diuretic. Organic is best and why not use hummus dip and celery for snack.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-31-2018 at 04:06 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 05:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Try primadone. It is older, cheap, and quite effective for hand tremors. I have had no problems with it.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:13 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Propranolol has lots of different uses. It lowers blood pressure and reduces heart rate, and is actually used by people with anxiety before giving speeches because it helps get rid of the “jitters”. My spouse uses it for blood pressure, and it has actually reduced his migraines by about 90%. He used to have a migraine about once a week, now he only gets a minor one every couple of months.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
you have said your husband has slightly elevated bp, what is slight? I take an old class, atenolol and i have no insurance and it costs me like $19 for a 90 day supply. Then along the way, the bp was not low enough so she put me on 5mg amlopedine and 90 day supply about $20 or so. Why the high price push on the bp meds...nuts. It's come to my mind that when they deal with patients with drug insurance they milk the most of it possible...the less insurance the less one pays, i've found anyway. Pushing the latest and greatest pricey drugs.

Celery is a food that does reduce blood pressure. It's a diuretic of sorts. It relaxes the blood vessels and acts as a diuretic. Organic is best and why not use hummus dip and celery for snack.
140/90

Old 02-01-2018, 10:31 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
140/90
If you kept a log and did the BP about 3 times a day, you would get different numbers every time. To me that 140/90 is NOT bad. I have kept logs over my life and did it based on what I ate, my emotions/thoughts....you name. Thank goodness I don't do it anymore as I've settled in with the 2 inexpensive meds I take. For good measure I even take a little BP tab I buy from India and believe it's managing things even more for me.

Even in the doctor's office, they need to take the BP at least 2 times and they will get different readings. They usually take one reading and one has high BP....how about white coat syndrome being one thought. Yes, it's true many do need meds.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-01-2018 at 10:40 AM..

Old 02-01-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If you kept a log and did the BP about 3 times a day, you would get different numbers every time. To me that 140/90 is NOT bad. I have kept logs over my life and did it based on what I ate, my emotions/thoughts....you name. Thank goodness I don't do it anymore as I've settled in with the 2 inexpensive meds I take. For good measure I even take a little BP tab I buy from India and believe it's managing things even more for me.

Even in the doctor's office, they need to take the BP at least 2 times and they will get different readings. They usually take one reading and one has high BP....how about white coat syndrome being one thought. Yes, it's true many do need meds.
we don't have a BP cuff. No white coat syndrome but I think if he lost weight and got his sugars down he wouldn't need the BP meds. He's a stubborn diabetic (most are)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness