Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:38 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,144,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I'm confused.

You have posted relentlessly how personal immunity has no bearing on who gets sick and how the only thing that keeps people healthy is vaccines. That building up your immune system is a worthless and useless task because, well, you can't, because there is no way to ever make an immune system strong, and everyone's system is exactly the same, immunodeficiency plays no part in health. I can't even count how many times you've posted that.

So bacteria on a buffet -- which could be anything because of all the handling and interactions with many, many people -- is OK for you your body to defend against? But other places where the same bacteria are, well, no you need a vaccine?? Get your stories straight. Or maybe there is a food poisoning vaccine coming out? After all according to the CDC, almost 1 in 3 Americans have food poisoning every year. About 3000 people die every year from food poisoning: sounds like a horrific epidemic -- aren't you alarmed??? /eyeroll/
you've clearly misunderstood more than just this post of hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 08:41 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
When I first went overseas, I learned the safest place to eat were the little streetside grills. If you could watch the guy take it right off the fire, sizzling, you could eat it.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I pity the poor sap who lives their life in fear of things like salads because some attorney who makes millions off food poisoning says so.
Yes, I would consult a food scientist over an attorney any day. Now if I wanted/needed legal help, I'd contact an attorney, not a food scientist. This list is from Australia but is the best one I found:
https://www.foodsafety.com.au/resour...food-poisoning
Poultry, Eggs, Leafy Greens and Vegetables, Raw Milk, Cheese, Sprouts, Seafood, Rice, Deli Meats, Fruit.

The only cross-over is the salads. Those are probably the items he has received the largest number of settlements for, but has not much to do with science.

I recall reading one time that many cases of "flu" over the holidays (Thanksgiving - New Years) are actually food poisoning due to improperly prepared/stored food. And I recall very well a picnic my health department office had where several people got food poisoning from the chicken, I believe. The next inservice was about. . . food poisoning.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Just saying.

https://youtu.be/f27Yzpz7cMg

Old 04-30-2018, 09:30 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,991 times
I prefer to eat at home because I know that I have properly washed my vegetables and properly cooked and handled my food with clean hands.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:26 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
I don't do buffets or lemons in my drinks.

I worked where there was a soft serve ice cream machine. It cleaned itself nightly and was also taken apart once a week and cleaned by some contractor.

A lot of FP cases are caused by viruses, like noro. Someone contagious making/ handling your food and you ingesting the contaminated food. That's what I learned in a food safety course anyway.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:37 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
When I first went overseas, I learned the safest place to eat were the little streetside grills. If you could watch the guy take it right off the fire, sizzling, you could eat it.
I think the safest is soups, since everything they throw into a hot enough liquid is going to be brought up to and held at a temperature that kills/inhibits bacteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I worked where there was a soft serve ice cream machine. It cleaned itself nightly and was also taken apart once a week and cleaned by some contractor.
I remember when I was 16 working at a fast food restaurant there was a cheese pump dealie that was supposed to be disassembled and cleaned every night. Being a lazy 16 year old I would instead just run water into it and keep pumping until it came out pretty clear instead of bright orange.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:59 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I'm confused.

You have posted relentlessly how personal immunity has no bearing on who gets sick and how the only thing that keeps people healthy is vaccines. That building up your immune system is a worthless and useless task because, well, you can't, because there is no way to ever make an immune system strong, and everyone's system is exactly the same, immunodeficiency plays no part in health. I can't even count how many times you've posted that.

So bacteria on a buffet -- which could be anything because of all the handling and interactions with many, many people -- is OK for you your body to defend against? But other places where the same bacteria are, well, no you need a vaccine?? Get your stories straight. Or maybe there is a food poisoning vaccine coming out? After all according to the CDC, almost 1 in 3 Americans have food poisoning every year. About 3000 people die every year from food poisoning: sounds like a horrific epidemic -- aren't you alarmed??? /eyeroll/
Yes, you are really confused. There is no one cause of "food poisoning" so there will never be a "food poisoning vaccine". There are no vaccines for the most common causes of foodborne illness in the US: Salmonella, Norovirus (Norwalk Virus), Campylobacter, E. coli, Listeria, and Clostridium perfringens (which causes botulism).

There are a couple of norovirus vaccines are in the pipeline and there is ongoing research on botulism, campylobacter, enterotoxigenic E. coli, and salmonella. There is an antitoxin for botulism, but it is extremely expensive.

I have no idea what you mean by "other places where the same bacteria are".

I have never said that "personal immunity has no bearing on who gets sick and how the only thing that keeps people healthy is vaccines" or that "everyone's system is exactly the same, immunodeficiency plays no part in health." Please feel free to link to any post I have made that says that.

Obviously, people who are immunocompromised are more susceptible to infections. That includes people who are on immune-suppressing drugs and the elderly. Listeria can be dangerous in pregnancy.

What I have said is that there are no specific foods or supplements that can "build up" your immune system. There are not. You can have an ideal diet (however you personally define that), exercise every day, and still catch an infection.

Yes, 3000 deaths per year are a tragedy. Do you not think so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
you've clearly misunderstood more than just this post of hers.
Yep.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:28 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I remember when I was 16 working at a fast food restaurant there was a cheese pump dealie that was supposed to be disassembled and cleaned every night. Being a lazy 16 year old I would instead just run water into it and keep pumping until it came out pretty clear instead of bright orange.
Yeah, if left to kids it probably won't get done as it should. I remember the OJ machine was always gross inside for the same reason lol They actually got rid of it and only serve little bottles of OJ now.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:25 PM

967 posts, read 1,074,526 times
The one time I've had food poisoning was from eating a grilled chicken sandwich. I was sick in bed and I don't think I ate anything solid for the next 5 days after that. I always assumed it was from the chicken, but maybe it was the lettuce all along!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness