Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:01 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

I pity the poor sap who lives their life in fear of things like salads because some attorney who makes millions off food poisoning says so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 08:40 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I pity the poor sap who lives their life in fear of things like salads because some attorney who makes millions off food poisoning says so.
Exactly! or someone who is afraid to buy the coffee at McD's because it's hot and might spill on you.

We are at risk of something no matter what we eat, or do, or where we go...so what do we do? Stop eating and live in a bubble?

Old 04-30-2018, 03:49 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Funny, those are exactly what I thought he would say, except maybe the ice cream.

As far as the meat, hopefully it is the author dumbing it down instead of what he said because it is well k own that the president likes steaks well done and there’s no risk to eating them on the more raise side. The E. coli is on the outside of meat, not the inside. The instant a steak touches the grill it kills anything on that side. Ground beef could be an issue since it is all mixed together so somewhere inside the E. coli could be hiding out.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:51 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I'm 63 years old and have gotten food poisoning once in my life when I was in my early 20's. I eat salads at Wendy's occasionally. I also use a fruit & veggie wash before I prepare my produce. Last night I ate half a bag of an organic salad mix and lived to talk about it. It said triple washed so I played Russian roulette and beat the odds. :-)

Old 04-30-2018, 07:18 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you will not eat salads at a restaurant then you should not eat salads at all. You could get the same contaminated greens at a grocery store.

A buffet that is busy will turn over product before it has been on the line too long. My favorite buffet uses kitchen timers so staff will know how long a specific item has been out. I like buffets because I can get a variety of foods, including some that I do not care to prepare myself.

Soft serve ice cream would have to be contaminated before the mix was placed in the machine. The machines need to be cleaned properly according to the manufacturer's directions.

I agree with not eating raw meat.

Foreign imports? I am not sure the author made a case for them being riskier.

Any food establishment should be regularly inspected to make sure it is handling food properly. I read the health inspection reports for our local restaurants.

Customers need to help, too. Do not go out to eat if you are sick. Do not let children help themselves at a buffet.

I think the author is biased by the cases he has seen. The absolute risk of getting a food borne illness requiring hospitalization or causing death in this country is pretty low, especially if you do not have an immune deficiency.
I'm confused.

You have posted relentlessly how personal immunity has no bearing on who gets sick and how the only thing that keeps people healthy is vaccines. That building up your immune system is a worthless and useless task because, well, you can't, because there is no way to ever make an immune system strong, and everyone's system is exactly the same, immunodeficiency plays no part in health. I can't even count how many times you've posted that.

So bacteria on a buffet -- which could be anything because of all the handling and interactions with many, many people -- is OK for you your body to defend against? But other places where the same bacteria are, well, no you need a vaccine?? Get your stories straight. Or maybe there is a food poisoning vaccine coming out? After all according to the CDC, almost 1 in 3 Americans have food poisoning every year. About 3000 people die every year from food poisoning: sounds like a horrific epidemic -- aren't you alarmed??? /eyeroll/

Old 04-30-2018, 07:25 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Another frequent source of food poisoning are sprouts - and you have to be careful even with sprouts grown at home:

Quote:
Since 1996, there have been at least 30 reported outbreaks of foodborne illness associated with different types of raw and lightly cooked sprouts. Most of these outbreaks were caused by Salmonella and E. coli. ... If just a few harmful bacteria are present in or on the seed, the bacteria can grow to high levels during sprouting, even under sanitary conditions at home.
(source)

I use a fruit and veggie wash on my produce - and won't buy green mixes because as the above quote says, all it takes is a few fecal bacteria and moisture to grow a nice colony in a sealed bag. You guys want to take a chance with your health, go for it. But food poisoning can be a killer - particularly for those like myself who have serious health problems or compromised immune systems.

https://www.healthline.com/health/wo...ness-outbreaks

Old 04-30-2018, 07:42 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Salads with pre-chopped lettuce and lots of raw ingredients are the equivalent of hamburger that is combined from different sources.

How hamburger is sourced and processed became a big known issue years ago - even more so if you like your burgers medium or even less done. So not a surprise at all that different kinds of lettuces from different fields or even countries getting combined with other raw veggies will only multiply the risk.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:47 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
I always wondered about those soft serve machines. I also wonder about those chocolate fountains.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:54 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Eh, it sounds really paranoid to me. I order most of those on a regular basis, especially salad, and have had food poisoning once from shrimp tacos. It’s a risk, sure, but the odds are really quite low of getting substantially sick off something.
Yes, I get salad all the time at restaurants, and I eat from the hot-and-cold food buffets in Manhattan at lunchtime all the time.

I am almost 60 years old, and I've never had food poisoning. I'm not saying I'm immune to it or that it can't happen, but it does seem as if it happens to some people multiple times, and so perhaps they are missing something in their digestive systems that fights it off.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:32 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Eh, it sounds really paranoid to me. I order most of those on a regular basis, especially salad, and have had food poisoning once from shrimp tacos. It’s a risk, sure, but the odds are really quite low of getting substantially sick off something.
Ditto. I'm eighty and I've been eating out beginning with my parents in the early 1950's in the cheap small town restaurants they could afford until today, when I eat breakfast and dinner out almost every day at cafes. I've eaten all of his forbiddens too many times to count, though now there are some I don't eat for other reasons than his.

Got a bacterial poisoning once from in new restaurant in Greenwich Village about 1968 maybe. That's it.

Present-day Americans are in chronic near hysteria over the danger of almost everything....and loving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness