Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 09:07 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
I am allergic to fleas. I end up with big welt looking bites and no one else ever has any. Fleas are usually around your ankles and feet however.

Not if they are in your bed....in the past, I've had flea bites just about anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 10:00 AM

126 posts, read 137,067 times
i havent noticed the dog scratching. He normally gets medication for fleas. It's never been a problem for him. Maybe they are coming to me instead?

I just see no bugs other than that black bug i mentioned that was on me yesterday. The bites i have on my calves are like welts now. 3 of them.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:25 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
This is the time of yr for mosquitos....they too like some people more than others...

you've had your windows open, been outside and hasn't your area received a lot of rain lately???

Mosquitos love me and the bites are terribly itchy, swell and redden and last a no. of days....maybe this???

Old 05-13-2018, 01:25 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
There's a clue.
Many people prefer showers to baths.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:40 PM

Bedbugs don't just appear from nowhere. I would not suspect them unless you have recently gotten new furniture (yes, they can be in new stuff), or recently stayed in a home or hotel that was infested with them.

Fleas are a possibility, but honestly, I suspect spiders, gnats, or noseeums. Maybe even all of the above. I am having a similar problem right now. Spider bites can take several weeks to heal. Noseeums are usually found in warm, coastal climates, but can pop up anywhere it's really wet, and we've had a very wet spring here. I first encountered noseeums years ago, when I visited a friend in Charleston, SC, and they truly are the devil's own.

Do take a look at the link another poster provided. There's some good information there, although I wish they had provided more visuals to show what different kinds of bites look like.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:58 PM

I showed the bites to a few people at a mother's day event i went to (lovely i know) and my aunt who is an ER nurse along with my mom who's also a nurse said i should just go to the dr and they cant say for sure what they are. My other aunt who has no medical background said she has done a lot of research on bed bugs and bug bites and she doesnt think what i have is bed bugs.

One thing i thought of is that i have had staph infections in the past...this is a bit gross but I hadnt shaved my legs in a while...I did shave them last weekend and the bumps appeared on my legs shortly after this. The thing that seems to not make much sense is that i also have bumps on arms and back and one on face. Surely a staph infection wouldnt spread like that.

I have a drs appt on thursday so I guess I will go then and ask what the dr thinks. I'm just not confident that he'll know based on a viewing bumps on my skin.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:55 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
I showed the bites to a few people at a mother's day event i went to (lovely i know) and my aunt who is an ER nurse along with my mom who's also a nurse said i should just go to the dr and they cant say for sure what they are. My other aunt who has no medical background said she has done a lot of research on bed bugs and bug bites and she doesnt think what i have is bed bugs.

One thing i thought of is that i have had staph infections in the past...this is a bit gross but I hadnt shaved my legs in a while...I did shave them last weekend and the bumps appeared on my legs shortly after this. The thing that seems to not make much sense is that i also have bumps on arms and back and one on face. Surely a staph infection wouldnt spread like that.

I have a drs appt on thursday so I guess I will go then and ask what the dr thinks. I'm just not confident that he'll know based on a viewing bumps on my skin.
If you are still lost/investigating after your doc visit, buy a good quality mosquito net to rule out anything from outside getting to you.
If there are still bites and look like insect bites, then something is in your bed... change the bed and re-start.

I hope you can get closure soon, this is very distracting, and if you google too much - all research leads to death (I warned you).

Old 05-14-2018, 03:03 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,493 times
Tip:

I read that baby powder messes with insects. So I sprayed some baby powder on my sheet and then rubbed it in. I slept find after that.

I haven't read all the details and everyone's replies or if you replied again. Sometimes it's a rough spot on your skin that rubs. Or nerves in your feet or legs twitching. The nerve pain I get when I sleep is like a bug bite.

Not sure if it's chiggers. A friend said to paint nail polish over the bites and it kills them. (This was AGES ago so details are foggy on if chiggers burrow in or what).

Get an exterminator to spray your house. It's the best thing to do.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:18 AM

Thanks, I don't seem to have any new bites this morning. The ones I have on my leg are very itchy though.

I have a dr's appt on thursday so i will ask what they think then too.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lologal321 View Post
Thanks, I don't seem to have any new bites this morning. The ones I have on my leg are very itchy though.

I have a dr's appt on thursday so i will ask what they think then too.
Do let us know what you find out. I'm pretty sure the problem we have here is noseeums. The thing that really stinks about noseeums is that they are so tiny that a normal screen will not keep them out, as they are much tinier than a mosquito. Now, I need to figure out how to protect myself and my cats, all but two of whom love spending time on our screened porch. The cats are actually part of how I solved the mystery of the bites: today, I noticed bites on the ears of the cats who go out there, but the two that don't have no bites. So...definitely not fleas. If it was fleas, everyone would have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness