Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 05:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Most nurses I've worked with wouldn't touch candy...junk food.
My first thoughts were diabetes and then of course the dental issues...true, we all think differently, we are all unique. The older I get the more I think of good health and what it takes. I know all the damage done to my body from my earlier life and now working to preserve what's left...and think everyone needs to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 06:38 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Well, even if we're talking a large box of "high quality" chocolate I doubt anyone would end up with more than a piece or two given the large numbers across shifts...and many nurses I know would have no qualms whatsoever, especially that amount.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Most nurses I've worked with would love it! As was said, you only get a piece or two.

Old 05-31-2018, 07:46 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Yes, OP, the gesture of bringing in something everyone can enjoy, whether food or flowers etc, would be much appreciated.

And almost all healthcare workers I've known have no reservations about eating candy, cake, cookies etc.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 05-31-2018 at 08:03 PM..

Old 05-31-2018, 08:37 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
When my mom died I gave a personal gift from her jewelry to each of her regular and trusted caregivers. I knew that it was against the rules but I did it anyway. Contrary me!

But I've been aware of some who help themselves to things belonging to the resident and this was my way of gifting those who had her seal of approval. Mom was hard to please so I knew if she liked someone that they had gone above and beyond the call of duty.

It just occurred to me that if anyone has the resources and wants to give a larger gift something for the break room would be a good choice. That would be sure to be a gift for all staff.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:56 PM

There were those I met in the rehabs that I really liked and those are the ones I would gift if I did that. There were enough that I didn't like and dreaded when they came to my room or when I could not get their attention for help. Some had real attitudes. And like they dreaded doing what they did.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:06 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I worked nights as an RN, and it was really nice when patients brought a separate box of chocolate for each shift. Otherwise the day shift took it all.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:28 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Should we give anything? How much is too much? Is it even allowed to give and show your appreciation?
My hubby gave gas cards in Christmas cards to co-workers. You can put any amount on the card. I think he did $20.00 and each person was very appreciative. It's a small thing but with rising gas prices, it helps.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
My hubby gave gas cards in Christmas cards to co-workers. You can put any amount on the card. I think he did $20.00 and each person was very appreciative. It's a small thing but with rising gas prices, it helps.
This makes sense to me. Or a $20 card to TJ's --- always appreciated for your favorites.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:24 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
When my mom was in rehab her CNA talked to her about her children whenever she was doing anything in the room. Mom was a retired teacher. One day they talked about clothes for school, and the CNA said how hard it was to buy new clothes when school started (CA) then in a few months have to buy winter clothes and the new ones just bought would not fit when it was hot again. Mom gave her WALMART gift card for clothes for her and her kids. I bought it and gave it to mom and she explained what it was for.

No I do not know if it was 'allowed', but she got it. And was likely quite surprised when she saw how much it was.

When my aunt was in her house with hospice care and NA care, everyone left with several plants. My aunt grew then as a hobby and had thousands we needed to find homes for. They were glad to choose some from her vast collection and we were happy they got a home. Everyone took them, and yes, it officially was not allowed, but we considered it as helping to find a plant a home, and my aunt liked to see people appreciate the plants she grew. Good for all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness