Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 11:00 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,387,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
I have an appointment tomorrow to see my doctor again. I'm going to see if he will refer me to an ENT as well as get some labs ordered. At this point, there is a little bit of stress compounding the situation on my part. My lungs look fine, but I would like someone to take a look down my throat and some labs just for the piece of mind. Like I said, I'm not a smoker and I'm only in my 40's, so I doubt it's something really serious, but you never know. The piece of mind alone could help the situation if stress is what's causing an acid reflux thing.
So sorry to hear about what you are going through right now. Hope tomorrow your visit to the doctor will be fruitful. In the meantime, there is no harm in taking a tablespoonful of honey and a tablespoonful of apple cider vinegar every morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 07:23 AM

649 posts, read 821,320 times
I had pertussis maybe five years ago (have been vaccinated twice against this). It was awful. I coughed huge "OMG what is wrong with you?" hernia-inducing couchs all day for four months. There was nothing to be done. In the beginning it was truly life- ruining as I couldn't sleep or function and had a fever. The doctor gave me some VERY expensive narcotic cough medicine. But you cannot live your life on that type of medicine, it was for short term use. So I just coughed, and coughed, and coughed. I tried to protect my abs and groin muscles by flexing before I coughed becuse it went on so long I though for sure I would eventually tear something.

It eventually went away but took almost five months of incessant coughing.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:14 PM

482 posts, read 243,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Silent GERD. I had it. Pink spots in my esophagus only discovered when they removed the growth on my larynx (thanks WTC bombers). But I was under high stress, smoking, working and coming home to a big meal, then flopping on the couch with a Coke (don't drink). I had no cough, either. The only time I ever had that wicked dry hack was when I took prolonged antihistamines.
Doc thinks it's silent reflux. I won't know for sure until I seethe ENT. I have been on a low acid diet for the last few days now, and my cough is significantly better. I have been under quite a bit of stress lately, and also like you, I'm a coke drinker, but I tend to put a little whiskey in mine a few times a week.

It's looking like a I'm going to have to give up a few things like coffee, soda, and booze it this is what the problem is. My diet is otherwise pretty clean, and I exercise regularly. Oh well, I'm at the age where I'm OK with giving up drinking, but coffee, soda and hot sauce is going to be the pits

Old 06-25-2018, 10:05 PM

6,190 posts, read 4,596,219 times
Quote:
Doc thinks it's silent reflux. I won't know for sure until I seethe ENT. I have been on a low acid diet for the last few days now, and my cough is significantly better. I have been under quite a bit of stress lately, and also like you, I'm a coke drinker, but I tend to put a little whiskey in mine a few times a week.

It's looking like a I'm going to have to give up a few things like coffee, soda, and booze it this is what the problem is. My diet is otherwise pretty clean, and I exercise regularly. Oh well, I'm at the age where I'm OK with giving up drinking, but coffee, soda and hot sauce is going to be the pits
I felt exactly the same. I had to give up coffee, soda, hot spices, tomatoes, garlic, mint, licorice - basically the first few things on the list were 85% of my daily diet. No laying on the couch, either. I remember sitting up in a chair after dinner and feeling like I had been stripped of my personality. But over time I've been able to get those things back, in moderation, sometimes with a side of antacid.

They gave me PPIs, and I remember stroking the spot on my stomach that felt calm in a way it hadn't before. However, PPIs caused me a side effect, so I took them for the bare minimum 3 months and stuck with the diet for a long time.

But you'll be fine and you'll have a whiskey and coke again. Coffee, too. Even hot sauce!

Old 06-26-2018, 08:37 AM

482 posts, read 243,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I felt exactly the same. I had to give up coffee, soda, hot spices, tomatoes, garlic, mint, licorice - basically the first few things on the list were 85% of my daily diet. No laying on the couch, either. I remember sitting up in a chair after dinner and feeling like I had been stripped of my personality. But over time I've been able to get those things back, in moderation, sometimes with a side of antacid.

They gave me PPIs, and I remember stroking the spot on my stomach that felt calm in a way it hadn't before. However, PPIs caused me a side effect, so I took them for the bare minimum 3 months and stuck with the diet for a long time.

But you'll be fine and you'll have a whiskey and coke again. Coffee, too. Even hot sauce!
Yeah, I have a buddy that has regular reflux (GERD). He said the same thing. My diet will be very strict in the beggining if I don't want to be on PPIs for more than a few months, but I will eventually be able to have a cocktail or a cup of coffee once in a while as long as I know my limitations.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:33 AM

1,628 posts, read 1,368,344 times
I had a similar experience, getting a respiratory thing, something like a mild flu that lasted a few days, but then the cough held on for 5 months afterwards. I finally got rid of it in 4 days by supplementing with zinc chelate 50 mg/day (taken with a meal). Since then I've lowered the zinc down to 25 mg/day and have not gotten sick again. I had used to supplement with zinc every day but had stopped a year or so ago. Won't do that again.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:15 PM

3,241 posts, read 2,467,336 times
Quote:

I know this thread is six months old but I know what you are going through. I have had silent gerd for years that started after the flu. My current doctor thinks it was caused by all the antibiotics. It started just being the cough but then I would get a feeling of something stuck in my esophagus and a feeling of heaviness in my chest and burping that would temporarily relieve the pressure. I got it pretty much under control for a while but over Thanksgiving I wasn't quite so diligent and it has been awful. Medication isn't working so I am dumping that and going with OTC that has been recommended.

1. Baking soda and water helps

2. Taking the following
Melatonin 1/2 hr before bed
DGL Licorice with every meal)
Enzymes with every meal
Probiotics

3. Avoiding alcohol for now at least and having only one cup of coffee. The only soda I would drink was tonic water which I mixed with either red wine or cranberry juice. I will avoid that for now and just drink the cranberry juice. I already avoid tomato sauce and will have to avoid fried foods.

Medication for this isn't something you should be on forever because it does damage to your body. I am hoping to get it under control with OTc's. They say they should start working in a couple of days, the baking soda pretty much works in minutes but is temporary until the next flare up or meal.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:04 PM

5,123 posts, read 2,182,318 times
Hey Spider...I had something very similar. PM and I'll tell you what I did to make it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness