Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 04:47 PM

482 posts, read 243,064 times

Advertisements

I got a respiratory infection infection at the beginning of last month, and I'm still coughing and clearing my throat from it along with having lower energy levels. Got a z-pack about a month into it and was told that I most likely had walking pneumonia, as my cough was mostly dry by that time. I felt like the antibiotics really helped, but they didn't clear it up completely, so last week, the doc gave me a second round of a different antibiotic and a steroid to help with my breathing and cough. I feel like I'm a little better, but I still got this nagging cough and a general feeling of not being 100%

I've never been sick like this in my entire life. Has anyone else ever experienced and ongoing cough and general feeling of not being well for almost 2 months that's not elderly after getting sick? I'm not talking about allergies, asthma, or any other chronic condition. I'm talking about making a full recovery from a bad respiratory infection.

Should I be concerned? My doctor also ordered a chest X-ray, which came back negative for anything serious. I'm just looking to hear that I'm not the only person that this has ever happened to, as it's starting to concern me. I'm not a smoker, so I'm not too concerned with stuff like COPD or cancer, but I do have a couple people in my family that developed adult asthma when they were around my age (40's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 05:01 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,412,657 times
You've totally ruled out allergies? I pooh poohed allergies because I'd never had them before but they can develop later in life as your immune system gets worse at identifying what it needs to fight against. I didn't have runny nose or itching watering eyes - it was coughing, especially at night, waking me up. Turns out that is from post nasal drip.

Also, coughing can result from GERD - so you and your doctor may have to think out of the box to figure this out.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:05 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,797,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
I got a respiratory infection infection at the beginning of last month, and I'm still coughing and clearing my throat from it along with having lower energy levels. Got a z-pack about a month into it and was told that I most likely had walking pneumonia, as my cough was mostly dry by that time. I felt like the antibiotics really helped, but they didn't clear it up completely, so last week, the doc gave me a second round of a different antibiotic and a steroid to help with my breathing and cough. I feel like I'm a little better, but I still got this nagging cough and a general feeling of not being 100%

I've never been sick like this in my entire life. Has anyone else ever experienced and ongoing cough and general feeling of not being well for almost 2 months that's not elderly after getting sick? I'm not talking about allergies, asthma, or any other chronic condition. I'm talking about making a full recovery from a bad respiratory infection.

Should I be concerned? My doctor also ordered a chest X-ray, which came back negative for anything serious. I'm just looking to hear that I'm not the only person that this has ever happened to, as it's starting to concern me. I'm not a smoker, so I'm not too concerned with stuff like COPD or cancer, but I do have a couple people in my family that developed adult asthma when they were around my age (40's).
Good that you got the chest xray and it's negative. I use an antioxidant and keeps me healthy. In my days before the antioxidant. I can remember colds and coughs and sore throats, no more.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You've totally ruled out allergies? I pooh poohed allergies because I'd never had them before but they can develop later in life as your immune system gets worse at identifying what it needs to fight against. I didn't have runny nose or itching watering eyes - it was coughing, especially at night, waking me up. Turns out that is from post nasal drip.

Also, coughing can result from GERD - so you and your doctor may have to think out of the box to figure this out.
From what I understand, the adult asthma that both my aunts have stems from adult allergies. My cough seems to be non-existent at night, when I'm sleeping on my side, but when I get up in the morning I got that tickle in my throat and there is constant clearing of mucus. I definitely have post nasal drip, but I'm not 100% sure it's from allergies yet. I was told 8 weeks is when the cough is considered chronic.

I've looked up stuff on GERD, and that doesn't sound like anything that's going on. This all stemmed from a nasty infection.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:19 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,667,756 times
Also: Just to be on the safe side, get new pillows, wash your sheets and all bedding (mattress cover, comforter, etc.) in super hot water.

If you have any drapes, upholstery, or carpeting, get it all professionally cleaned (or clean it yourself) . . .

Mites, dust, etc., can cause allergies.

Drink a ton of water.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:33 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,412,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
From what I understand, the adult asthma that both my aunts have stems from adult allergies. My cough seems to be non-existent at night, when I'm sleeping on my side, but when I get up in the morning I got that tickle in my throat and there is constant clearing of mucus. I definitely have post nasal drip, but I'm not 100% sure it's from allergies yet. I was told 8 weeks is when the cough is considered chronic.

I've looked up stuff on GERD, and that doesn't sound like anything that's going on. This all stemmed from a nasty infection.
Understood...it does happen to be coinciding with allergy season which may be confusing things...good luck - either way it's no fun!

Old 06-18-2018, 05:52 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,698,870 times
OP, have you tried something like a sinus rinse or neti pot to try to help with the mucus? I find that really helps with the postnasal drip along with drinking a lot of fluids. You might want to check your inside humidity, as if it is above a pretty narrow range of about 30-55%, you might notice more coughing as well. Dust mites flourish in higher humidity, but in lower humidity they come up into the air and that is just as bad.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:14 PM

6,162 posts, read 4,545,617 times
Your throat could also just be irritated from coughing. If you have some dry/sore spots, the mucus protects them, but you need to cough it out eventually. Try something like a glycerin throat drop and see if it does anything to help that "ticklish" spot. Also, if you're unused to being sick, it may just seem really horrible to you, so have faith it'll clear up. The antibiotics will probably cure the underlying problem and you can see what you can do about the symptoms. Sometimes I take Robitussin which soothes the throat and brings up mucus, but try something simpler like the glycerin first.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

35,670 posts, read 18,040,478 times
OP, what do you mean when you say your chest x-ray came up "negative for anything serious".

Did it in fact show something that was deemed "not serious"?

Old 06-19-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
OP, what do you mean when you say your chest x-ray came up "negative for anything serious".

Did it in fact show something that was deemed "not serious"?
It showed nothing. The doc says my lungs look great.

There where no tumors, fluid, or signs of chronic lung disease according to the doc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness