Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:22 AM

8 posts, read 27,728 times

Advertisements

These past couple of days I have not been able to ignore my swallowing. I feel like I have to swallow every 10 seconds. This has happened a couple times in my life but I got over it, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about my swallowing patterns. My mouth is dry and my throat hurts. I don't know if I should resit the urge, even though when I try to it's extremely uncomfortable. I am trying to figure out if this is a normal amount of times someone swallows but I am just noticing it, if it is a physical concern, or if it is because of anxiety or OCD.

I am freaked out because I feel like it is consuming my life. I am never not thinking about my swallowing and I fear I will never be able to stop thinking about this. Like the "white bear syndrome", whenever someone tells me just to "not think about it" it feels impossible because I physically feel it. Does anyone have any advice? This has caused me a lot of distress these past couple of days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 10:39 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Google it, research it, maybe post links to what you find. There's a chance no one here will have encountered that. Best of wishes to you.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:43 AM

1,183 posts, read 707,659 times
You mention anxiety, have you had it before? You say you are "freaked out" so you do sound like someone disposed to anxiety.

Anxiety, signal anxiety, is associated with excessive swallowing in some people. If it continues, go to the doctor to rule out other causes.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:55 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,542,319 times
Do you have allergies? And post nasal drip? This spring has been bad for people with allergies and even people who never had allergies before. Pollen counts have been very high where I live.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:29 PM

23,266 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brixx1990 View Post
These past couple of days I have not been able to ignore my swallowing. I feel like I have to swallow every 10 seconds. This has happened a couple times in my life but I got over it, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about my swallowing patterns. My mouth is dry and my throat hurts. I don't know if I should resit the urge, even though when I try to it's extremely uncomfortable. I am trying to figure out if this is a normal amount of times someone swallows but I am just noticing it, if it is a physical concern, or if it is because of anxiety or OCD.

I am freaked out because I feel like it is consuming my life. I am never not thinking about my swallowing and I fear I will never be able to stop thinking about this. Like the "white bear syndrome", whenever someone tells me just to "not think about it" it feels impossible because I physically feel it. Does anyone have any advice? This has caused me a lot of distress these past couple of days
What's wrong with just swallowing when you need to? Maybe if you just go ahead when the urge hits it will drop off your radar and you'll stop worrying about it. If your mouth is dry and throat hurts, maybe a lubricant like Biotene would make you more comfortable. It might at least break the worry habit you are building.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:33 PM

17,553 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Constantly Swallowing, Tight Throat: Causes & Treatment — Scary Symptoms

Google is your friend

Old 06-23-2018, 05:35 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,383,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
You mention anxiety, have you had it before? You say you are "freaked out" so you do sound like someone disposed to anxiety.

Anxiety, signal anxiety, is associated with excessive swallowing in some people. If it continues, go to the doctor to rule out other causes.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 06-23-2018, 05:38 PM

23,266 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Interesting. Thanks.

According to the article people normally swallow about 10-12 times per minute, or once every 5-6 seconds. OP, you are right there on "normal" with your 10 seconds. Maybe that will reassure you?

Old 06-23-2018, 11:45 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
Benadryl. Excessive swallowing can occur with oral-pharyngeal swelling, which is a symptom of a severe allergic reaction.

Benadryl will relieve some of that but you need to figure out what could be causing this. New food product? Prescription? A bug bite?

If the Benadryl doesn’t help then it’s probably not an allergic reaction & you are back to square one.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:04 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
It's like telling someone not to think about pink elephants. Their only thought after that will be... pink elephants.

Seek the advice of a doctor, not Google, not strangers. There may be more than a physical condition involved. The doctor will direct your path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness