Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 11:20 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
lol, right. Sure, no opinions and assumptions on your part. You have misrepresented the facts already when you claimed he followed company policy, and you continue to twist them to fit your own biases.
Perhaps you should go back and read my last post? And the one Fluffy posted. The woman was offered alternatives, but continued to insist that her needs were more important than his beliefs.
Fact, the pharmacist did not violate company policy, he was within his rights, the patient made erroneous assumptions.

From the video, her own words
"His first response was You can come back tomorrow evening.
-That's not part of my plan. I want my medicine so that way I know."

And from the same article
"I completely lost it and was in tears.”

Arizona laws specifically allow pharmacies and pharmacists to refuse to fill a prescription for religious or moral reasons.

The pharmacy isn't required to refer or transfer any refused prescriptions. However, companies may make workplace polices for employees who choose to work for the business.
~https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...efs/727805002/

Last edited by DubbleT; 06-25-2018 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-25-2018, 11:21 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The company policy was to refer the customer to another pharmacist or a manager. Most of the employees in a pharmacy are not pharmacists. There may not have been another one on duty.

I get that everybody's addicted to the instant outrage machine but it might pay to think this one through.
So if the pharmacist doesn't actually touch the pills or put them in the bottle or hand them to the customer have THEY filled the prescription? They merely checked it for accuracy so it could go out the door.

Like underage clerks selling alcohol - someone else runs it through - they bag it and take the money...have they sold it? Nope.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:22 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
He did have a right to refuse to be party to an elective abortion; not to refuse to dispense a particular pharmaceutical.

I respect your knowledge and experience on women's health issues, but Arizona "conscience clause" law is clear on this. The pharmacist was within his rights.

Anyone who is interested in learning more about this topic can google "conscience clause" and find out what the law is in their state. They may be surprised.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:27 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm sorry you have had fallout, but if a pharmacist doesn't know why the drug is prescribed and the drug MAY be used for elective abortions it seems their default would be to not dispense it because it might be used for something that goes against his/her beliefs.
As a healthcare professional with a license, the pharmacist could have called the doctor and found out the diagnosis instead of sending the customer clear across town to chase down her prescription.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:33 AM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
This pharmacist should be fired and license revoked! Who the f does he think he is judging people and denying them prescribed medicine! This is outrageous! Where does it stop, denying black people because of beliefs, how about Asian people, or the Irish, or Italians? WTF is going on in this country. Thank you trump for enabling crack-pots and trying to take away our freedom.
This has nothing whatsoever to do with President Trump. These regulations by State Boards have been in place for years. The Catholic Pharmacist reference that I made before was over 50 years ago and very legal at that time.

Do not turn this into a political discussion.

The problem is that people feel that they can make a statement and cause a ruckus over any incidence!

This woman got her meds, but decided to make a Federal case and get her 15 minutes of fame.

Like I said in previous post. THIS IS AN EXTREMELY RARE OCCURRENCE! but getting more traction

Hell, there is a pharmacy college in Ohio that graduates PharmDs who practice in strict Christian manner

https://www.cedarville.edu/Academic-.../Pharmacy.aspx

Quote:
At Cedarville University, we’re engaging the dynamic environment of 21st-century health care with a solid Christian perspective. We develop future pharmacists who can meet the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of patients with faith-informed ethics and commitment.

Quote:
Highly credentialed Christian faculty, first-rate equipment, and innovative curriculum - all integrated with a biblical worldview - make Cedarville's School of Pharmacy unique.

Last edited by mike1003; 06-25-2018 at 11:52 AM..

Old 06-25-2018, 11:41 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Clinically speaking; any & all pregnancies that end before the age of viability are called: "Abortions". A miscarriage is a "spontaneous abortion", while an intentional termination is called an "elective abortion".

A doctor, from what I know; is not obligated to provide a pharmacy with the indication for a drug. I believe that is coded on the EHR through the doctor's office. The only time a pharmacy would be privy to the indication would be for a PRN (take as needed vs scheduled dose) dose, because some drugs have more than one approved indication, such as; "every 4 hours if needed for nausea" vs "every 4 hours if needed for anxiety".

A Pharmacist should know that drug could be prescribed for either a spontaneous or elective abortion. It's also prescribed for stomach ulcers & postpartum bleeding. He had no business making assumptions.

He did have a right to refuse to be party to an elective abortion; not to refuse to dispense a particular pharmaceutical. A patient is not obligated to give a pharmacist a narrative of their medical history in order to "justify" a drug ... but I've had to do the exact same thing, just within this last year, with that same company & also involving a medication prescribed for uterine bleeding.

I found that there is a general lack of comprehension when it comes to women's health issues & pharmaceuticals. It's been several months & I'm still struggling with the issues their delay caused.
If an insurance company is paying for a drug a diagnosis may be required.

Not all doctors use electronic records, by the way.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
In this instance the problem is a pharmacist who does not understand the fundamental difference between a miscarriage and an elective abortion. That is a very big hole in his fund of knowledge. It makes me wonder what other deficits there are in his education.

No, pharmacists should not refuse to fill narcotic prescriptions, either.

If you cannot fill the prescription for every patient who comes to your store you should choose another profession.

I am not buying the slippery slope argument.
I refused to fill narcs from pill mills, and for known abusers, for over 50 years

In, fact most states now have databases that show when and where controlled Rxs were filled. In Ohio, and (again) most states, a pharmacist (and Drs) must check and refuse controlled substances for patients with muli fills because of Dr shopping

https://www.ohiopmp.gov/Documents.aspx

Old 06-25-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If an insurance company is paying for a drug a diagnosis may be required.

Not all doctors use electronic records, by the way.
Not sure that you are correct here

Electronic records are now required for any state or federally funded program. Medicare, Medicaid, Worker's Comp, VA, etc.

And, I believe (99% sure) all insurance companies require electronic record keeping.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I refused to fill narcs from pill mills, and for known abusers, for over 50 years

In, fact most states now have databases that show when and where controlled Rxs were filled. In Ohio, and (again) most states, a pharmacist (and Drs) must check and refuse controlled substances for patients with muli fills because of Dr shopping

https://www.ohiopmp.gov/Documents.aspx
Why couldn't the pharmacist have called the doctor for a diagnosis instead of sending a customer clear across town to chase down their prescription?

I am unaware of any pro-lifers, of any religion, who believe aborting a dead fetus is unethical. All make exceptions when the life of the mother is at risk in the case of living fetuses, let alone dead ones.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Why couldn't the pharmacist have called the doctor for a diagnosis instead of sending a customer clear across town to chase down their prescription?

I am unaware of any pro-lifers, of any religion, who believe aborting a dead fetus is unethical. All make exceptions when the life of the mother is at risk in the case of living fetuses, let alone dead ones.
Misoprostol is primarily (only) used to cause uterine contractions. (Couple of of uses)

I can't add to the "dead fetus" part of the discussion because I have no knowledge of what pro or anti lifers believe. (I have my own base and can't speak for anyone else)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness