Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 03:19 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,250,199 times

Advertisements

Now that I read this article that was linked in the original link , it sounds even worse to me

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/na...s/67-566977558

She got an email saying the Rx was ready to pick up before she went it. That means a pharmacist had already filled it and it could have been given to her by a tech, it didn't need to be a pharmacist - it wasn't like she walked in and handed him the piece of paper. Once he realized what Rx she was picking up, instead of stepping back and letting another employee handle the transaction, he decided he was entitled to simply refuse the transaction.

That is actually clearer now, though, because I was having a hard time understanding why there were other employees present and he didn't just let one of them handle it, according to Walgreen's policy. Or why he didn't just hand back the physical script so she could go elsewhere. And it boiled down to - he didn't want to. He prioritized his personal objection to abortion to a customer's right to obtain a legal Rx, which in this case, wasn't even for an elective termination. All he needed to was step back from the counter and let someone handle it. There was no dispensing involved, as the Rx had already been filled - in essence, he was acting as a pharmacy tech, handing someone a bottle and ringing in the payment.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:33 PM

17,614 posts, read 13,406,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
What are the chances of every pharmacy in my area having a pharmacist like that on staff?
Depends on where you live. But, EVERY company and MOST BoPs allow pharmacist discretion

Old 06-25-2018, 03:35 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,913,397 times
As I read it, the woman couldn't go to another pharmacy because the original pharmacist wouldn't give her back her prescription. I think he eventually did, but I read some of the comments on this story and some women said that when this had happened to them, the pharmacist didn't give back the prescription and they were forced to go back to the doctor for another one.

The woman said she remained in the store crying for an hour until she was asked to leave.

I think the thing we're missing here is when you make a law, it covers everyone in the same situation.

A lot of people are saying the woman could just go to another pharmacist. Let's look at the case of Catholic hospitals.

A woman is giving birth. She wants her tubes tied after she gives birth and arranges that with her doctor. Unfortunately, the birth turns out to be a risky one and the woman is taken to the nearest hospital, which is a Catholic hospital. They refuse to let the doctor do the tubal ligation.

Or this woman could live in a town where there is only one hospital and the next nearest non-Catholic hospital is ninety miles away. Who sends a woman with a risky birth to a hospital ninety miles away when there's one right across the street?

Well, those who say a woman can just go to the next pharmacy or the next hospital have to understand that while they live in an area of multiple hospitals and pharmacies, other people don't. So when a law is passed that says a pharmacist can refuse to give out prescriptions he doesn't agree with, it affects not only women who live in large cities and towns, but also women who live in small towns and have a much greater distance to go before they get to the next pharmacy. That law that covers all women may sound trifling to people who live where there is a drugstore on every corner, but we need to realize it causes undue hardship to a number of other people who aren't as lucky to have more than one pharmacy or hospital in their town.

There is also the emotional aspect to this story. This is a woman who wanted her baby. I'm pro-choice, which means I want you to have a choice whether or not to have your baby and this woman obviously chose to do so. The heartache alone must have been unbelievable.

What if it were your spouse who was choosing to die because he was in tremendous pain and you were the one who had to pick up the prescription that he would use to kill himself (if you lived in one of the states that allowed this)? What if the pharmacist, somehow figuring out what was going on, decided he wouldn't give you the prescription? Would you be in any kind of mental condition to just walk out and drive away to find another pharmacist? I don't know about you, but I think I'd be a staggering, ragged wreck and in no condition to hunt up pharmacists trying to find one who could fill my prescription.

I can't see how anyone would have the heart to send this woman, who was so clearly upset, on a chase to find a pharmacist who would give her her prescription when she was already at a store with her prescription ready to go.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:37 PM

17,614 posts, read 13,406,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikala43 View Post
this. It is not his job to judge any medication that has be prescribed, his job is the fill the orders.

not always!

Old 06-25-2018, 03:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,487,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
not always!

It is not his job to make moral judgements on the behalf of the client/patient. Particularly when he is not fully informed as to the individual situation. It IS his job to ensure the prescription does not conflict with other medications, that the prescription is legal and safe for the client.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:46 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,913,397 times
One other thing to remember, if the pro-life groups get their wish and D & Cs become illegal, we're going to be seeing this more and more.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:47 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,069,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
It really doesn't matter. The pharmacist was within his rights to refuse to fill the Rx. The customer had the right to get the Rx filled elsewhere. It not like they held her hostage and said you have to wait here until someone else fills this Rx for you. She was free to go wherever else she wanted. Instead of doing that shes set this poor guy up for threats. People need to understand not everyone will bend to their will.
She was not told UPFRONT that there was a pharmacist on duty who would not fill "xxxxx" scripts for women.

Instead, she wasted her time accomplishing nothing when she could have gone somewhere else in the first place.

Poor guy, are you kidding? I hope he feels all warm, fuzzy and righteous after rubbing this poor woman's nose in the fact that she was miscarrying.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:57 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,069,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Depends on where you live. But, EVERY company and MOST BoPs allow pharmacist discretion
But EVERY pharmacy does not have one on staff.

As a woman, why would I do business with a pharmacy that has a pharmacist that refuses to meet my needs?

Old 06-25-2018, 03:58 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,250,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
As I read it, the woman couldn't go to another pharmacy because the original pharmacist wouldn't give her back her prescription. I think he eventually did, but I read some of the comments on this story and some women said that when this had happened to them, the pharmacist didn't give back the prescription and they were forced to go back to the doctor for another one.
Based on the other link I referenced above, it looks like she had given them the paper Rx the day before, and then got an email saying it was ready to pick up. I'm not sure exactly how the paper scripts get processed, but I'm assuming it gets somehow marked up and filed away once it's been filled - meaning a pharmacist has dispensed it into a bottle and printed the label and the put it into whatever system they have (alphabetical or whatever) so that when someone comes in to pick it up, they can quickly find it and give it to the customer. So it may not be that simple to hand back the slip of paper at that point,

But then again, if it was already in the bottle and labeled (which it would have been or she wouldn't have gotten the email saying it was ready to pick up), there is no reason whatsoever that a tech couldn't have handed it to her, without the pharmacist being involved. That's the usual process, and most of the time, a customer doesn't necessarily have any personal interaction with the pharmacist, just a tech.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:59 PM

740 posts, read 490,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I am not a Ted Cruz fan or supporter, but everyone has a right to live life as they see fit based on religion or other beliefs. By your rules and beliefs it seems you would say Jews working in a meat market should be required to sell pork.
That's a Jewish store serving Jewish people. I wouldn't expect pork there.

A public pharmacy is not a religious entity - it is a paid-for service to the public. You cannot impose your religious beliefs on other people in the public square.

It's like Kim Davis: Her job required her to issue gay marriage licenses. She chose not to do so. So that means that Kimmy should have had to find herself another job. Kim was never forced to do anything against her moral conscience because she could have quit the job. That's how it is.

If you don't like selling assault rifles, then don't work in a gun shop. That's the way it is. There are no other solutions.

Last edited by FrancaisDeutsch; 06-25-2018 at 04:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness