Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 05:06 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I said evolution BY CHANCE is not proven. Evolution is proven. Just stop now.
Evolution "by chance" is not disproven. That's the way the scientific method works, by disproving hypotheses. Disprove it, and you are golden. Otherwise, take intelligent design to the religion forum where it belongs.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:07 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Too much sitting, almost never moving. Yes that will f-ck up your knees eventually.
How? Explain the pathology, please.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:09 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How? Explain the pathology, please.
The joints need to move, the muscles need to move. We are animals, not plants. Too obvious to argue about.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Evolution "by chance" is not disproven. That's the way the scientific method works, by disproving hypotheses. Disprove it, and you are golden. Otherwise, take intelligent design to the religion forum where it belongs.
No, evolution by chance is not disproven. It's just a ridiculous idea. I know you hate religion, and think it's stupid and unscientific, but don't worry I am not debating with you.

But believing the universe is intelligent has nothing to do with organized religion. And it in no way contradicts anything in science. And it makes the origin and evolution of life and consciousness comprehensible. A dead universe generating life and consciousness is incomprehensible. But some people like it, because it means nature is stupid and therefore they should be able to understand and control it. Someday.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:31 PM

The idea that nature is stupid and the universe is mindless is what makes medical doctors think they can understand and improve on nature.

The intricate processes that go on in living things are beyond human comprehension. Throwing artificial chemicals into these processes should not be done recklessly. But it is. Because you don't see these processes as intricate and amazingly intelligent.

It's all just random junk thrown together, organized by natural selection into something that manages to survive long enough to reproduce. No purpose, no meaning, just massive stupidity. That's your world. Lovely.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:34 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:

Frank Lichtenburg has written extensively on the topic. He uses the concept of drug "vintage": how long a medication has been available, which is a measure of its potential effect on longevity, which obviously is not going to happen overnight.....

Yes, 0.52% looks like a small number, but that is per year. There is a compounding effect over time.

???? I'm not familiar with that work, and possibly your short synopsis doesn't do it justice (or I'm too dense), but a drug like, say, alpha-methyldopa, possibly the most universally effective anti-hypertensive and available for 40 yrs, has rarely been prescribed over the past 30 yrs----so how would that be rated?...And how credible is a stat with an implied accuracy of 1 in 10,000 when we're talking about survival time-- that would mean an accuracy in terms of ~50 minutes per year? Even if it's true, that 0.52%/y over 30yrs is only an improved survival of ~60 days. I'd suggest it's not worth taking.

Quote:
I said evolution BY CHANCE is not proven. Evolution is proven. Just stop now.

The theory of evolution thru spontaneous mutation and selection is based entirely on the concept of chance.

A general thought on the philosophy of science: a scientific theory is not right or wrong, but useful or not useful; Newton's theory of gravity is accurate enough to put a man on the moon and bring him back, or to run a satellite mission that makes close approach to the 5 outer planets in succession over a prolonged period, but it is not accurate enough to predict the orbit of the planet Mercury. To accomplish that, one must employ Einstein's theory of gravity, which includes relativistic factors. That doesn't mean Newton was wrong, just not useful in all cases.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:44 PM

801 posts, read 452,206 times
Big Pharm and the AMA etc wants you to believe that statin drugs or whatever the latest so called miracle drug is, will help you live longer. There's very little evidence that is true. Statins are a big scam in my opinion. As usual they find a market for it then expand that market way beyond its usefulness.
They are all out to push drugs and make money.
Meanwhile if you just eat a lot of veges and less carbs and less bad fats you will be healthier. Add exercise and you've pretty much figured out the key to longevity. IMHO.

Then there are genetics and random diseases which skew the whole statistical database...

Old 07-29-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

The theory of evolution thru spontaneous mutation and selection is based entirely on the concept of chance.
Yes, of course, I know it is. The theory of evolution came long before the the theory of evolution by chance. It is not, in no way, a proven theory. Just wildly popular, especially among atheists.

And whenever I say evolution by chance is not proven, atheists think I mean evolution is not proven. But of course I don't mean that.

No one knows the cause of evolution.

We know that species can be modified by selection, either natural or artificial. That is obviously true. But it does not follow that natural selection caused species to evolve. Maybe it seems to follow, but it does not.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Big Pharm and the AMA etc wants you to believe that statin drugs or whatever the latest so called miracle drug is, will help you live longer. There's very little evidence that is true. Statins are a big scam in my opinion. As usual they find a market for it then expand that market way beyond its usefulness.
They are all out to push drugs and make money.
Meanwhile if you just eat a lot of veges and less carbs and less bad fats you will be healthier. Add exercise and you've pretty much figured out the key to longevity. IMHO.

Then there are genetics and random diseases which skew the whole statistical database...
And they do all kinds of convoluted and confusing research that fools people into thinking statins are miracle drugs. Like that research SuzyQ just posted.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:04 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
From the books/articles I've read, it seems that the populations who eat a whole food diet, have clean water to drink, exercise quite a bit, and have strong social networks and relatively low stress live the longest and have the lowest incidences of common diseases.

I'll go with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness