Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 06:53 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times

Advertisements

I was always real tiny. I started to gain weight when me and my DH started dating. We always are out and I didn’t exercise as much. Then I had 2 kids in 2 years. A few years later I went into early menopause which makes losing weight EXTREMELY difficult! It’s s struggle. I’m not obese, but overweight. I’m currently working on eating better and taking time for myself to exert. In the last month I have lost 7lbs, which is fantastic, but I would like to lose at least 15 more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 07:15 AM

375 posts, read 319,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yeah, if someone were to consume just 1,000 calories a day and walk 3 miles, in addition to their normal everyday activity, I can almost guarantee they will lose a few pounds every week.

For the more adventurous types that have 6 months of free time and want to do "Extreme Makeover" trail hiking edition, just thru hike the entire Appalachian Trail (2,200 miles) or Pacific Crest Trail (2,659 miles) or the Continental Divide Trail (3,100 miles) and I can guarantee that you will weigh less at the end than you did at the beginning of the hike and that's even with consuming 3k-4k calories a day!
My 50+yo brother did the entire Appalachian Trail two years ago! He lost 50 lbs! Never looked that overweight, tall and carried it well but overweight nonetheless! Just WOW on the difference it made!

Old 08-21-2018, 09:24 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
This. I always ate healthy, mostly, and exercised regularly. Started using loseit.com app and realized that the oatmeal, brown rice, grilled chicken and broccoli add up when you don't count how much of it you're eating, especially when you add the occasional slice of pizza. Used the app faithfully and down 63 lbs in 2 years.
It is some of the smallest things that are the diet killers.....particularly condiments. Tracking everything I ate for a few weeks was a real eye-opener. A pound of raw broccoli is only 153 calories. Add just ONE tablespoon of butter (or Earth Balance, which I would use as a vegan) and you have added 100 calories. It helps to work on appreciating the natural flavor of food instead of piling on butter, sauces and dressings.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:47 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Food industry's too powerful. We've managed to put regs on the tobacco industry, but they keep throwing their money around to maintain their own interests. If folks still think its ridiculous to put regulations on sugar, just keep in mind that big tobacco spent decades trying to convince us that smoking was perfectly fine, and that women should appreciate giving birth to underweight babies

That said, American's need further education and reminders. That alone wasn't enough, as people still smoke despite knowing the risks. However, at the number of smokers has gone down, and at least American society overall is making more informed choices. They did teach us about the 4 food groups in school, but it's tough to compete with junk food when they have marketing budgets and the many multi-Billions, while advocacy groups for fresh fruits and veggies only mere millions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Fork? As in the instrument used to eat food?

I was at the Chinese Buffet the other night and unlike many people eating with forks, I was eating with chop sticks. I always do at the Chinese Buffet. Eating with chop sticks does slow down one's consumption.
I'm more proficient with chopsticks I suspect if the same people have at it long enough, they too will end up eating more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Our food in America is pretty bad. Go figure that you can get a burger for a dollar yet a salad will cost 5 bucks. Too many nowadays in a rush they opt for the cheaper burger. Also so many lazy people nowadays as well. Take for instance mowing your lawn. How many do it themselves versus hiring a landscaping service?
I prep my own food, it takes time but I know what my body is ingesting.
We've gotten more than 1 threats of the apocalyptic $12 big mac if MW were to be raised. Seriously, why do we still care about this? They ramble on and on like how McDonalds is some staple of the American diet. A $12 big mac is just what this country needs to get a kick in their caboose. Unless you're a poor college student strapped for time, homeless, or in some remote area where you have no other options for hot food, you really should never be eating at FF anyways. If you have a kitchen and a supermarket nearby, even an amateur chef can cook meals that are a lot better for you (mind you, not that FF was a high bar to begin with).

Old 08-21-2018, 10:15 AM

38 posts, read 57,608 times
I totally agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Don't make it any more complicated than it really is:

Nixon (early '70s) tried to buy farm state votes with tax money: he started the direct payment programs that benefitted farmers for years + the coincidental "Green Revolution" of Borlaug greatly increased farm production. That kept food process low.

At the same time the USDA started promoting The Food Pyramid: more grains & less meat. American meat consumption has been on the decline ever since, while junk foods (carbs) have been plentiful & inexpensive.

The real physiological function of insulin is to turn carbs in the diet into fat and to prevent burning fat for energy production. More carbs = more obesity.

While exercise enters into it, it's not an important part in obesity-- b*lls out activity for one hour only burns 450 cals; one Big Mac is 600 cals. You can't exercise yourself into skinny-- you gotta eat less carbs.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:11 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So even though she is happily and effectively losing weight...after trying just exercise, that's JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH?

Losing weight is good but the problem might be that she is getting unneeded sugar or other unnatural food additives that might've been added by the food companies. So maybe she is losing weight now but will get diabetes or other disease later. or an addiction to these smoothies... That is why everyone has to check ingredients and understand what is in the processed food they are eating.

But if she checks ingredients and everything is fine, than of course I don't a see a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That's the problem - people don't get credit even when they are successful...because it isn't homemade enough...or natural enough...or organic...or GMO. Get off it -it is very hard to lose weight and she has found something that works for her - don't take it away! It's not speed or diet pills...it's a gd protein shake.
Please notice that I did not say organic. But the problem is that the people blindly trust the complex processed foods manufactured by US Food Industry, despite plenty of evidence otherwise. This dependence contributes to the obesity epidemics.

It is better to make as many foods as possible at home or watch them being made somewhere in a deli. Then you know precisely what is in them and there are less doubts about the quality...

Old 08-21-2018, 11:26 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
My two cents on why people are so fat these days:

Portion sizes are huge these days. King size candy bars. Big Gulp drinks. Giant restaurant servings.

Unlimited drink refills. Lots of unnecessary empty calories.

High carb diet. Nutrient deficient. Lots of times it is flavorless. blah.

High processed food diet that is void of nutrients. You eat more because your body is craving vitamins and minerals and you are not supplying it by eating processed foods. Your body keeps trying to get what it needs.

Lack of exercise. I walked/biked/swam a lot as a child. My parents did not drive me any where. I had to have burned at least 300 extra calories per day and I bet it was well over 500.

Microwaves. Food preparation is quick and easy. A pot pie in 5 minutes vs 45 minutes in the oven. I know I will sometimes skip eating something because I don't want to wait for it.

Acceptability. Society does not care any more.

Expectation. We expect dieting to fail so we do not bother.

As an adult, I have worked very hard to maintain a healthy weight. It has never been easy. I exercise every day (don't love it) and I eat a low carb diet consisting of whole foods (meh, but I am never hungry). I do not eat sugar very often (crying), but it is what I need to do to maintain a healthy weight. Peri-menopause is hard on my body weight. LOL.

I know if I ate whatever I wanted to or did not restrict my diet, I would be fat. I love food.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:32 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Losing weight is good but the problem might be that she is getting unneeded sugar or other unnatural food additives that might've been added by the food companies. So maybe she is losing weight now but will get diabetes or other disease later. or an addiction to these smoothies... That is why everyone has to check ingredients and understand what is in the processed food they are eating.

But if she checks ingredients and everything is fine, than of course I don't a see a problem.

Please notice that I did not say organic. But the problem is that the people blindly trust the complex processed foods manufactured by US Food Industry, despite plenty of evidence otherwise. This dependence contributes to the obesity epidemics.

It is better to make as many foods as possible at home or watch them being made somewhere in a deli. Then you know precisely what is in them and there are less doubts about the quality...
There is no direct connection between sugar and diabetes. There is a direct connection between obesity and diabetes. The argument against sugar is that it largely contributes empty calories (except for fruit), which in excess can lead to obesity, and therefore increase one's risk of getting diabetes.

Losing weight is a very big step in lowering the risk for diabetes and other disease. If the weight loss involves drinking a shake that may be high in sugar, so be it.

I am not advocating eating tons of sugar, for the reason above. It's empty calories. But the war on sugar is no different than the war on fat. Instead of assigning bogeymen designations, we should try and eat such things as fats and sugar in moderation, and not crowd out more nutritious food with processed/refined sugars. Many people love sweets. It is what it is. Eat less of the refined kind and try and eat more of the natural kind (in fruit).

Old 08-21-2018, 12:07 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
I think people started becoming obese when high fructose corn syrup was added to everything. Sugar itself isn't all that harmful, as long as it's eaten in moderation. I've even used corn syrup and molasses in making cookies once in a while. But having HFCS in everything is a little much. Even if you cook your own meals at home, some of the stuff you buy to make a homemade meal has tons of crap in it. If I wanted to make my own mac and cheese, look at what's in the noodles.

Meantime, there's a lot of unhappiness around these days and carbohydrates are a natural tranquilizers. It's why depressed people eat so many carbs and fats.

Then there's me. I'm an emotional eater. I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm sad, I eat through horror movies, I eat when I'm sick and tossing up, and I eat when I'm not hungry. It really sucks.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:11 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
There is no direct connection between sugar and diabetes. There is a direct connection between obesity and diabetes. The argument against sugar is that it largely contributes empty calories (except for fruit), which in excess can lead to obesity, and therefore increase one's risk of getting diabetes.

Losing weight is a very big step in lowering the risk for diabetes and other disease. If the weight loss involves drinking a shake that may be high in sugar, so be it.

I am not advocating eating tons of sugar, for the reason above. It's empty calories. But the war on sugar is no different than the war on fat. Instead of assigning bogeymen designations, we should try and eat such things as fats and sugar in moderation, and not crowd out more nutritious food with processed/refined sugars. Many people love sweets. It is what it is. Eat less of the refined kind and try and eat more of the natural kind (in fruit).

Asking people to adhere to a no sugar diet when they enjoy eating sweet things is a recipe for failure. Modifying how one gets to satiate a sweet tooth craving by offering something that still has a bit of sugar is much more effective than making the person give up sweets completely.

We all know that low carb eating is an effective way to lose weight. But some people simply cannot follow that way of eating for long periods of time. Those people would do better by watching calories and focusing on healthy foods and exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness