Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 12:21 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

I lost weight - 70 lbs - by cutting calories, making healthier food choices, eating out far less often and increasing my activity level.

I continue to consume carbs and sugar and relegate eating crap to once a week. Have maintained my loss for over two years.

To me, it's all about portion size. If more people ate smaller portions, we wouldn't be in this mess. You don't need to cut off your arm and deny yourself foods that you like, you just eat less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 12:32 PM

46 posts, read 44,265 times
Stay away from meat, especially processed meats, which are classified as carcinogenic by the World Health Organization. Red meat is a class 2 (probable) carcinogen. Anyway, areas of the world that consume much less meat have far lower incidences of chronic disease. Read "The China Study" and "Blue Zones".

Old 08-17-2018, 12:37 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I lost weight - 70 lbs - by cutting calories, making healthier food choices, eating out far less often and increasing my activity level.

I continue to consume carbs and sugar and relegate eating crap to once a week. Have maintained my loss for over two years.
.To me, it's all about portion size. If more people ate smaller portions, we wouldn't be in this mess. You don't need to cut off your arm and deny yourself foods that you like, you just eat less.
Portion control is huge. If we eat out DH and I usually split a meal, or bring half home. During the day, I eat from a 1 cup ramekin, IF I'm still hungry I can go back for more, but that almost never happens. At home we split a steak or chicken breast, never eat from a bag (take chips/nuts/etc out put away bag).

We are hardly deprived, but don't need a heaping plate of food.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-17-2018, 12:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
"It’s not that we’re eating more, that we exercise less, or that we lack willpower. The shaming of overweight people has to stop"

I call out BS.

- people with self- discipline can be slim
- we drive more, walk less
- eating more and eating more of the bad stuff
- portions are bigger
- cooking less, eating more out
- more crappy food choices
- better advertisement of crappy food
- telling people it is ok to be huge leads to more people to be big.
- no war that makes food scarce
- not much manual labor anymore
- too many all you can eat buffets
- too many accommodations for the big - bigger cars/chairs/beds/clothes/even coffins!
- sizes get adjusted, people who used to be XXL are now L so they get delusional about their weight.
- bad food choices in schools and kindergartens
- wife's don't stay home anymore and cook healthy - everyone works, is overworked, has no time to cook
- people work too much, no time to exercise
- too many channels on tv, you'll never run out of stuff to watch
- videogames instead of playing outside, burning calories
- technology overall - you don't even have to get up to go somewhere, you can socialize online and buy everything you need.
- doctors don't tell people anymore when they get too big so they are in denial.
- everyone is on some sort of pain/depression/anxiety pills that make you retain water

... and so on ...
I have said for ages about the same. Of course from toddler to old age we walk less. Heck when i was growing up most families only had one car: Kids walked everywhere if was less than a couple of miles cereals were not sweetened. We played outside more than inside. Heck teens didn't have cars, they lucky if they could borrowed dads for a date once a week. though many moms did more baking than today, they also did prepare most meals from scratch. And we rarely went out to eat. When mom did stay home, she pushed a vacumn that weighed about twice what today's weight.. She hung cloths on the line. Even after dryers became a common some cloths were still hung on the line. More teens went to school dances than today and we didn't take the school bus to school unless you lived at least 2 or 3 miles from school.
think about the days when families lived on farms and raised their own food or worked all day in the fields. They are a lot more than people do today, but they burned the calories. I will add a couple more short idea and then just move on. Yes, doctors didn't tell us we were too fat unless we were truly over weight. The idea weight charts showed weights that were higher than today, just like what was good blood pressure compared to today and it was pretty much accepted people over 50 were going to be a little rounder than those under 50. Many of our parents didn't go to the doctors for annual check ups, they went when they were sick. That is what the doctor was for.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:54 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
1001 excuses.

Everyone knows their own body, what they can/can't eat and whether they are overweight or not.

Some choose to do something about it...some don't and it shows. It's a choice.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:36 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
I lost weight by reducing my background stress......so things vary.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:46 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
I dropped 20-25 lbs after I got rid of my car. I dropped another 10-15 lbs after I started watching my salt and eliminated eating most "prepared" foods.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:14 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Portion control is huge. If we eat out DH and I usually split a meal, or bring half home. During the day, I eat from a 1 cup ramekin, IF I'm still hungry I can go back for more, but that almost never happens. At home we split a steak or chicken breast, never eat from a bag (take chips/nuts/etc out put away bag).

We are hardly deprived, but don't need a heaping plate of food.
Definitely. People villify fast food restaurants and I can see why based on their track record, but many chains have tried to improve their lineups. They also offer smaller portions ("half sized"). There is no gun to the head of a person that forces them to get a big mac when they can eat a kid sized burger, apple slices and milk. Or order a "full" sized sandwich when you can eat half. Is it the fast food restaurant's fault that people want big portions of everything, including beverages? They even go so far as to post calories on their menus.

I won't go so far as to consider people lazy, but there has to be a modicum of personal responsibility instead of blaming industries, restaurants, food groups, what have you. I refuse to totally blame a substance (i.e. corn syrup, whatever) for the rampant overweight status of this country. I'm not advocating that people eat lots of known garbage, but in reduced amounts, you're still not gonna gain a gazillion pounds.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:27 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
OK but do you have any idea what is in this Shake? Did you look at the list of ingredients? I would avoid if it has High Fructose Corn Syrup or more than 6 grams of sugar or so. I would avoid if it has a long list of complicated sounding ingredients designed to make you want this this shake all the time. I don't think you would want to lose weight but get diabetes instead.

Smoothie for breakfast might be a good idea. But you can make it your self from high quality fruit and maybe low fat ice cream and then you will know exactly what is in it...
So even though she is happily and effectively losing weight...after trying just exercise, that's JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH?

That's the problem - people don't get credit even when they are successful...because it isn't homemade enough...or natural enough...or organic...or GMO. Get off it -it is very hard to lose weight and she has found something that works for her - don't take it away! It's not speed or diet pills...it's a gd protein shake.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:51 PM

565 posts, read 281,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
watch "the magic pill" on Netflix

sugars and some carbs are the real food demons not fats not meats.

we reward kids with eating super sugary/fattening foods like ice cream....

the worst foods seem to taste sooooo good - all the grains and sugars keep pumping the insulin...

I cut out sugars in the past year.....more of a keto diet- no grains, very low carbs and no sugar ...ive never felt better - I eat healthy fats and protein... my cholesterol dropped 70 points..

meat got demonized in the 80's …. no one said much about sugars and convenience processed foods... the food pyramid should be turned upside down

sugars and carbs cause inflammation..... the word inflammation we are hearing more and more that causes illnesses.. and cancer cells grow in sugar..

I have quite the sweet tooth so it was difficult to give it up

we also use food for therapy …. we self indulge on special occasions and over eat.

im well over 50 can still bench over 300lbs no medications... no allergies havent called in sick for over 6 yrs at work … compared to my so called "health nut" peers....that seem to be on medications... I have more energy than I did at 30 yrs of age..

the whole "low-fat" and lean b.s. left the country eating more processed and sugary junk..

again watch THE MAGIC PILL on Netflix

why isn't there a mass dumping on sugary and processed foods??? follow the money look at the food companies that pay for advertising and ultimately help pay the huge salaries of news reporters...

im not a veggie fan but so eat spinach leaves..... and again my dr. said he would pay for my blood work results...… he's close to a grass-fed vegan and asked my "secret" I told him my diet and he said more and more research is coming back that we need fats healthy fats not margarine or vegetable oils....but animals fats are not so bad for us.
he asked how often I ate fish...I said maybe once per month but eat steak 3-4 times per week....

exercise .. we aren't made to "work" in an office staring at a computer screen all day- this is part of the formula that makes us obese (if poor food choices)

there's also have been a trend to eat more food outside of the house (restaurants or take out- compared to buying foods at a grocery store and taking home to cook) this is partly why we are bigger...when you go out to eat in a crowd ..people tend to order what they "want" at the moment not what is best for them...….compared to not having crap in the house to not eating crap when at home..
Highly recommend the Magic Pill. After watching, I cut out almost all natural and refined sugar and most carbs other than vegetables. In 2 months, I've lost 25+ pounds, my joint aches and pains are gone, and my blood pressure is now under 120/80 without the medication I've been taking for the last 5 years. I've come to believe that "low fat" foods are a scam to get you to eat more sugar. HFCS started appearing in foods in the mid 70's and that's when the obesity epidemic exploded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness