Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Luckily my parents NEVER made me clean my plate, even when we went out to eat in sit-down restaurants. So I never felt obligated to do so.

Now that I pay for my own meals (ha!) I frequently get a to-go box, at least if it is something that can be reheated reasonably well. In fact, I try to leave enough for another full meal for later, even if I might be able to eat a little more at the time. I love paying "half" for a meal!
You were lucky and our kids took the same route with their kids: no forcing them to eat what they didn't llke and no forcing to clean your plate. of course this has resulted in our oldest grand daughter being one of the pickiest eater I have ever known.

When those of us born before say, the mid 50s were growing up it was the normal routine: eat what is on your plate. I know of very few families where this was not the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 06:33 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Being in Canada I find it somewhat hilarious that "the Guardian", a Brit paper, is so concerned with American obesity. Where I am there are a large number of women that are more northern European and Eastern bloc; not only not obese, but they walk...…….every day. The US has it's challenges, among them your gene pool is more southern Euro. and Latin.

I took a list for mom in LA into Albertsons', a food store three times the size of the Safeway we have here, and the aisles were LOADED with processed food. I took a slim friend to one of the few sport style pubs in Monrovia. The guy walked by us with portions that would have fed both of us and a planeload of refugees. We went across the street the to the new Thai place. Everyone DRIVES everywhere. ESPECIALLY when you see a thirty year old male with a widows' apron??

Dolores is 87 and walks around town and up and down hills with her walker every day. This is in our winter weather. You've got for the most part some of the nicest walking weather in the world. Get off the couch.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 08-19-2018 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: spellling

Old 08-19-2018, 09:48 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You were lucky and our kids took the same route with their kids: no forcing them to eat what they didn't llke and no forcing to clean your plate. of course this has resulted in our oldest grand daughter being one of the pickiest eater I have ever known.

When those of us born before say, the mid 50s were growing up it was the normal routine: eat what is on your plate. I know of very few families where this was not the norm.
We never forced our 4 children to eat anything. One wouldn't touch a vegetable and grew into a vegan. The three others love all foods, however they are not fans of fast food or prepackaged foods. I however remember having a boyfriend who was forced to clean his plate as a child and as an adult was a strictly meat and potaotes guy who basically hated all the foods his parents made him eat.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:09 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:

I remember sitting at the table for an hour after dinner, staring at the liver I hated, not allowed to get up until I ate it. What a stupid thing to do.

Then I look at my nephew, whose mom let him eat whatever he wanted, which was only bread and pasta. He's in college now, and skinny.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:54 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
"It’s not that we’re eating more, that we exercise less, or that we lack willpower. The shaming of overweight people has to stop"

I call out BS.

- people with self- discipline can be slim
- we drive more, walk less
- eating more and eating more of the bad stuff
- portions are bigger
- cooking less, eating more out
- more crappy food choices
- better advertisement of crappy food
- telling people it is ok to be huge leads to more people to be big.
- no war that makes food scarce
- not much manual labor anymore
- too many all you can eat buffets
- too many accommodations for the big - bigger cars/chairs/beds/clothes/even coffins!
- sizes get adjusted, people who used to be XXL are now L so they get delusional about their weight.
- bad food choices in schools and kindergartens
- wife's don't stay home anymore and cook healthy - everyone works, is overworked, has no time to cook
- people work too much, no time to exercise
- too many channels on tv, you'll never run out of stuff to watch
- videogames instead of playing outside, burning calories
- technology overall - you don't even have to get up to go somewhere, you can socialize online and buy everything you need.
- doctors don't tell people anymore when they get too big so they are in denial.
- everyone is on some sort of pain/depression/anxiety pills that make you retain water

... and so on ...
I totally agree. When I got to the word 'inequality', I quit reading.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:29 AM

268 posts, read 227,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcass View Post
Obesity doesn't necessarily have anything to do with quantity; rather, it's more about quality. One can eat platefuls of whole-plants (i.e. vegetables, fruits, legumes) and not gain weight. The reason we are obese is due to our sedentary lifestyles, and the SAD (Standard American Diet), or as I like to call it, the DAD (Deadly American Diet).
I disagree with this. I know more than a few vegetarians and vegans that are obese. One dangerously so. Carbs are fattening. Being sedentary adds to the obesity epidemic.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:58 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I remember sitting at the table for an hour after dinner, staring at the liver I hated, not allowed to get up until I ate it. What a stupid thing to do.

Then I look at my nephew, whose mom let him eat whatever he wanted, which was only bread and pasta. He's in college now, and skinny.

Yeah OK, so the choices are either make a kid eat absolutely everything, even the food that revolt him/her or let them eat whatever they want? I think it is pretty rare that a kid who grew on bread and pasta does not have health issues later in life...

We strongly encourage our kids to eat/try fresh or cooked fruits and vegetables. We do not force them to eat them if they absolutely dislike them but we keep asking them to try different fruits and vegetables. And we limit mac and cheese to once a week. This is work in progress and it is not easy. But our kids don't just eat pasta and bread...

Old 08-20-2018, 09:04 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:

Well, I did have to eat at least one bite of the broccoli, carrots or whatever.

...but yes, when parents are the ones to dish up the plate then it makes no sense for the kid to have to finish it. It only makes a little sense if the child (of a decent age) dishes up their own and has to learn to judge how much they can eat. Now THAT is a very important lesson in itself. But how can a parent know how much a child can eat, or eat healthily?

Old 08-20-2018, 10:39 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I just would like to add this since it is constantly brought up about how the "low fat revolution" resulted in a higher obesity rate. Think about it. The problem was that people thought that "low fat" was a license to overeat because the fat was reduced. Somehow people didn't get the memo that calories count and it really didn't matter if the fat was reduced. People seem to want to have "something for nothing"...basically where you can eat as much as you want of something without any repercussions. It just doesn't work that way. If people treated Snackwells as any other dessert, something to eat sparingly, there wouldn't be an issue. Sure, the fat was replaced with sugar...but what was often billed as "low fat"? Baked goods and snack foods. Things that again, should be eaten sparingly. Low fat/light foods can be a part of a healthy diet when eaten in moderation. In fact, when used in moderation, they can be a diet aid because they do have less calories. The key thing is to eat just one! or at least the portion size on the label! Just because something is "low fat" doesn't mean that you can eat right out of the box with impunity. Let's not forget the "no cholesterol" thing, where you had vegetable oils touted as being inherently better because they had no cholesterol. Never mind that dietary cholesterol isn't found in plant products and cholesterol isn't the main culprit that raises body cholesterol. Fried food, whether it's with "all natural vegetable oil", still has more calories than baking or broiling. And that's what puts the weight on you and thereby raises your cholesterol. Now the latest villian is carbs and you have companies and restaurants smelling money with that. Low carb this and that. Order your double meat cheeseburger without the bun. And I'll bet you, we'll still be fat.

And it sure doesn't help that the industry encourages overeating....I'm talking to you makers of Halo Top....where people are encouraged to eat an entire pint of ice cream because it's been tinkered to only have 280 calories. It probably has all sorts of sugar alcohols, whatever. There's no free ride. Eat too much and you'll pay with an increased waistline or gastric problems.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:42 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Well, I did have to eat at least one bite of the broccoli, carrots or whatever.

...but yes, when parents are the ones to dish up the plate then it makes no sense for the kid to have to finish it. It only makes a little sense if the child (of a decent age) dishes up their own and has to learn to judge how much they can eat. Now THAT is a very important lesson in itself. But how can a parent know how much a child can eat, or eat healthily?
Well with my kids, they just simply stop eating when they're full. Somehow they just seem to self-regulate, where they stop eating when they hit the initial feeling of fullness. They don't frequently stuff themselves. Sugar is another thing entirely, lol. That I have regulate for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness