Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 AM

512 posts, read 321,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'd say it's explanation enough that no one does actual "work" anymore, but people sit around staring at a screen, combined with flavor-enhanced, highly caloric food being readily available around the clock. No more complicated explanation needed.
True.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 01:14 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'd say it's explanation enough that no one does actual "work" anymore, but people sit around staring at a screen, combined with flavor-enhanced, highly caloric food being readily available around the clock. No more complicated explanation needed.
Partially true. I work at home now, but when I had a sedentary office job we (almost all of us where I worked) fought it. We took the stairs instead of the elevator. We took the stairs when we didn't need to go down them for exercise. We took turns buying bags of apples for when snack urges hit. It's totally possible to refuse the 'constraints' that were supposedly given to us.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:27 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Partially true. I work at home now, but when I had a sedentary office job we (almost all of us where I worked) fought it. We took the stairs instead of the elevator. We took the stairs when we didn't need to go down them for exercise. We took turns buying bags of apples for when snack urges hit. It's totally possible to refuse the 'constraints' that were supposedly given to us.
It's possible, but very difficult (for most people).

Old 08-23-2018, 10:56 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post

And yes...people are simply not moving as they should.
One of the reasons I have never owned a car (and never will) is because I want to be "forced" to walk everywhere and be on the move all the time as part of a lifestyle that keeps my weight at a healthy level.
I'm not saying the adults can't exercise, but how do you get your kids to go outside when CPS is waiting for them to walk across the street to accuse their mother of being negligent?

Just the other day a nosy neighbor called in about a little girl who took the family dog out for a walk. All the girl did was go up and down the street. Jesus! When I was her age, I was walking home a mile from school and when I took my dog out, I was out for hours all over the neighborhood. By myself even.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:19 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's 90% diet related and maybe 10% level of exercise. I noticed that when the nation went to a "low fat" diet, thereafter, everyone became fat.

I was lbs overweight and then a read a book called Plant Paradox by Dr. Gundry, read that and you'll fully understand. After I implemented the recommendations, I lost all 40 excess lbs, my cholesterol is now perfect, weight perfect, sugar good, everything good after years of everything being pretty much bad...now 12% bodyfat and 44.2% muscle mass.
My initial change in my diet (this time around ) in March of 2017 was based on what is generally behind the diets of a few family members and friends who are elite endurance athletes, combined with calorie counting/writing down what I eat (which I've always been good at....when I want to be ). At some point after that I watched a one hour web blurb made by and featuring Dr. Gundry. It turned out I was already doing most of the things he recommended (re eating). I captured that whole video to my phone, and I review it periodically. I've lost 62 lbs since March of 2017 (252 to 190) and was down to 200 by 12/31/17. I'm 6' 3 1/4" and normal range for me tops out at, IIRC, 201-203. Although I'm within the range classified as normal, and I'm seeing more stomach definition than I've seen in probably 30 years, my goal is 175, and I don't want to go below 172.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
When my husband was growing up in the 50's, his parents made him finish everything on his plate. "Children are starving around the world". My parents never did that.

Restaurant portion sizes. You expect me to eat all this? I need kiddie portions. All you can eat buffets? Forget those. Plus, many people eat when bored, watching TV, and not only when truly hungry.

It is a combination of things.
I'm younger than you and your husband, but in the 60s I remember my mother acting like your husband's parents. She'd say "There are starving children in Biafra, finish everything on your plate". The funny thing was, she wasn't overweight (5' 6" and fluctuated between 107-130 during the part of her life after she had me until she passed away) and she drove a number of people crazy with her slow eating (which she wisely knew was a good habit).

Old 08-26-2018, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I dropped 20-25 lbs after I got rid of my car. I dropped another 10-15 lbs after I started watching my salt and eliminated eating most "prepared" foods.
I had gained back 6 lbs from January to May of this year. I then made additional changes to my diet, including watching my salt, and I've lost 16 lbs since then.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I guess it’s all relative. To someone 71 I guess at 42 I’m “young”. Actually my metabolism took a nosedive at 40. Unlike men, we middle aged women hit weight loss walls earlier. If you think my loss was easier in my 40s, well again compared to a 70 year old, maybe. But it sure as heck wasn’t easy and my body wasn’t some fat burning machine like a 20 or 30 year old.

As for gaining each year due to age I’m not worrying about that because i do exercise. I also lift weights four times per week. See exercise is required for what I wanted.. I wanted to not just lose, I wanted to be in great shape. I’m in fabulous shape now at 42...soon to 43....and I’m still going strong. I don’t just stroll on a treadmill at this point in my fitness life so no again I’m not worried about my metabolism tanking. That’s why you work out to counter what aging does to you..,

And I am not going to give up what I enjoy because I don’t (and won’t) have to. As you said proof is in the eating. I eat 150g of carbs per day. Somehow I still lost body fat and inches. I did it by doing what you said doesn’t work...I cut calories (eat less) and moved more. I eat complex fiber rich carb sources mostly but yeah I eat dessert daily. Until proven otherwise I’m gonna keep giving myself a daily treat. I’d rather have a 170 calorie daily treat than scarf down an entire box of cookies due to food obsession because I denied myself. took a dexa scan last year, an accurate body fat test, and was 22.6 percent fat. Not bad considering I was over 40 and I was 37 percent before I embarked on my journey to not only lose weight but improve fitness. All those who preach little to no physical activity, you’re just cheating yourselves.
Thanks for posting the bolded .

With this post, I'll be able to refer to that for future reference re getting a fat percentage analysis.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:12 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
sedentary lifestyles...…. eating wayyyy too much sugars and carbs..

exercise......drop the sugars/carbs … this is 80% of it

Old 08-26-2018, 10:32 AM

371 posts, read 365,726 times
80 percent of the people wear active wear as if they just came from the gym yet we are all fatter than ever. Something is wrong here. I know I live off 1200 cal a day and still slightly plump. It's has to be the food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness