Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 06:49 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You can maybe fight off minor bugs with good health.

I am a person in I consider great health. I eat right and exercise and I can go for long periods of time without getting sick. That said, I worked as a teachers aide at an elementary school a few years ago. I got sick a lot. Little germy hands all over everything. I did recover out of a cold very quickly and I do attribute that to my taking care of myself.
But a healthy body can only do so much and it will not fight off a flu bug. You may get better sooner, but influenza will knock you down.
I believe that good health can go a long way in preventing every bug that comes around. As far as the flu, I’ve been around coworkers who had it and didn’t catch it, but went after it early. I’m sure Tamiflu would help if you got the vaccine early, and so would hitting it with all the vitamins, herbs, healthy juices, extra C and extra rest you can manage. I’ve found there is only about a one day window to prevent it from developing into a full blown case. If you give yourself enough support, sometimes it will be a very mild case for a few days, or luckily nothing at all.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:44 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It is an interesting question to ponder. My husband got the flu one year, maybe ten years ago and I was the one who was taking care of him. I thought for sure I would get it but didn’t. No one else in the house got it either. A few years ago my daughter got the flu and again, I was her caretaker around the clock. I didn’t get it that year either and neither did anyone else in the house in spite of very close and constant exposure.
Asymptomatic, maybe? Although they say that the flu "mutates" all the time, possible that you had the particular strain of the flu in the past and had enough antibodies to it to fight it off? "Get the vaccination, or get the disease". Immunity. If catching measles gives you immunity to measles in the future, why not with the flu as well?

Sorry, I cannot provide links, but I have read articles on both the 1918 and 2009 flu pandemics. In both it seemed to affect children and young adults more than older people. The articles speculated it was because the older adults had lived through previous pandemic similar strains and had developed antibodies to it. Of course, this won't sell flu shots.

Edit: My husband has had the flu several times and I didn't catch it from him. I also worked in public schools and didn't catch the flu from the kids or other staff members. Asymptomatic? Antibodies from previous flues? I am almost 70 and have never had a flu shot.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:22 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Thank you very much for asking!. I am sorry I can't be longer in my computer. I slept too much this weekend, especially after coming home from office the last friday. I had fever in thursday and friday, I don't have fever at this moment but I am still congested, with mouth sores (usually appears when I am in this situation). Today I went to work, but I left as soon as possible just to get at home and rest at bed. You can call this a cold, I don't know, but I have the same symptoms at least once a year. Now I know that I couldn't stand at office on friday, luckily they allowed me to leave, but I am using my free time to rest at bed. I am starting to feel better, but being congested is uncomfortable.

Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:13 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Happy Ending. To prevent any more vaccine discussion, this is now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness