Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 09:36 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I worked with two vocational rehab counselors one who had lost his legs and the other was born without arms. They both did a nice job of making people comfortable with their disabilities and sometimes made jokes about how well they complimented each other.

But never, for a minute, did I think either of them took the issue lightly. The man who had lost his legs would get so irritated about people using handicapped parking spots that he finally put a bumper sticker on his van which read, "I will gladly trade my parking spot for your legs."

I say they made people comfortable with their conditions for a reason. And that's because I knew little at the time about the life of someone who is physically different. In my fortunate life it hadn't even occurred to me to seek out information about the subject.

Ideally we should all be aware and I think the schools have done more work regarding this since the concept of mainstreaming has been implemented. But the best things I learned were the little details that came directly from the source.
Love it. My late dad lost his legs below the knee in WWII and walked on artificial legs. He could get places, but it was painful and tiring. There were no such things as handicapped parking spaces until the ADA in the 80s. My sister and I would go shopping with my father for my mother's Christmas gifts because he was colorblind and bought her some awful combinations. We would go to the mall and while my father drove around, my sister and I would scout for an open spot somewhat near an entrance and then jump out of the car and go stand in it and wave other cars away. People yelled at us and called us names, but we yelled back "Our father needs this spot because he has no legs!" and wouldn't budge.

After the handicapped spots became the law, my father parked in one at a convenience store and went inside to get milk. Some woman with her window open in her car looked right at him and said, "I guess they give those license plates out to ANYONE now." He looked at her and grinned and said, "My handicap is mental" and then laughed like a crazy man.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:11 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post

I keep a modern DIY chamber-pot-kit near my bed . . . which I use whilst standing up. My kit consists of things that would not fit easily in a purse, but I imaging collapsible substitutes could be devised.

My kit consists of: a plastic, liter size, soda cup (to urinate into); an emptied liquid laundry detergent bottle with tight-fitting lid (to store the urine in); a quart-size yogurt container (which a plastic liner can be put in, with the top folded over the container top) for BMs. . . . One just has to practice & learn both where & how to hold them, to prevent spilling. . . .
Wouldn't it just be easier to wear an adult diaper to bed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 11:43 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
When my neighbor was having seriously painful knee trouble, & mentioned how using the bathroom was almost impossible for her . . . I shared with her what I do just because my bedroom is so far from the bathroom & if I walk that far & back I'll not be able to go back to sleep any time soon . . .

I keep a modern DIY chamber-pot-kit near my bed . . . which I use whilst standing up. My kit consists of things that would not fit easily in a purse, but I imaging collapsible substitutes could be devised.

My kit consists of: a plastic, liter size, soda cup (to urinate into); an emptied liquid laundry detergent bottle with tight-fitting lid (to store the urine in); a quart-size yogurt container (which a plastic liner can be put in, with the top folded over the container top) for BMs. . . . One just has to practice & learn both where & how to hold them, to prevent spilling. . . .

It seems to me the pliable-tho-somewhat-rigid receptacles I use could be replaced with single-use collapsible-bags that have rigid material around their openings to hold them open, and maybe a short neck that's wide enough to offer a firm grip on them. These could initially be folded & carried in a medium to large purse, back-pack, or whatever . . . in their own plastic covers to keep them clean. Then, after use, discard. . . . (Admittedly, the pliable-yet-semi-rigid containers I use are easier to handle & hold in place.)

IS Anyone up to the challenge of designing & producing the best bags for such uses . . . ?

. . . . . . . . .Urine drainage & collostomy bags would not do, at least not 'as is'. . . . . . . . . .

Sounds like it was either out of order, or someone had had an accident in it & it had not yet been cleaned up. Perhaps the grouchy attendant was trying to avoid 'doing their duty' of cleaning it up, &/or their helper had called in sick. IDK.
They sell portable urinals for women. I keep these in my car (hour commute through rural area, no bathrooms) just in case. I haven't had to use them yet but they seem good. They have a chemical in them that turns liquid to a more solid form immediately so you don't have to worry about spilling.

They actually do sell portable urinals for women. I bought these on Amazon because I barely make it home during my one hour commute (through very rural area, no bathrooms) and in case I'm ever trapped on a freeway because of an accident, etc. I haven't had to actually use one yet, but they seem pretty good. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-24-2018, 03:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Let me start out by saying, I don't believe anyone does this to be mean....

There was an episode on TV, a short skit, about a man in a wheel chair, who comes into the men's bathroom and another man who was perfectly able to use one of the regular stalls is sitting on the handicapped toilet.

So the man in the wheel chair, asks the man while he's sitting there...."Why do you do that, I always wondered that". And I near dropped to the floor laughing. And a friend of mine at work who is also handicapped, asked me if I saw the show and we started to laugh, it seems people forget that there are handicapped people out there, a lot of us, who cannot use the lower toilets....

It's true, when ever you walk into a rest room, men's or ladies, those that are not handicapped always take the handicapped stall first. Why?

If you walk into a rest room and the stalls are empty, please first consider the handicapped out there who cannot use the lower toilets...and please use the empty toilets first....if they are full than by all means, use the handicapped stall, and I'll wait...but what I'm saying is, and I do not believe people even consider this fact when they do that, that, someone may walk in who really really needs to use that handicapped stall, so all I'm asking is, to please consider that when you walk into a rest room please.
The handicapped guest does not know that all other stalls were full when the able man selected that stall. Some visitors left before the handicapped man arrived, and the man who took the last remaining stall (at the time) looks like the bad guy.

You can't switch stalls mid-deuce.

If you're about to tell the able man to not delay addressing his urgency so long as to not be able to wait for another stall, the same rule can be applied to the handicapped guest and nullifies the argument.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
We have to have a handicapped accessible restrooms at work and I was curious about all the comments about the toilet height. Both our regular and handicapped accessible are exactly the same, 17 1/2" high. The ADA law is "Toilet seat heights must be between 17" to 19" above the finished floor."

BTW we have never had a handicapped person ask to use our restrooms. The approved sign we have on that restroom shows the symbols for male/female/wheelchair.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:03 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
J
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We have to have a handicapped accessible restrooms at work and I was curious about all the comments about the toilet height. Both our regular and handicapped accessible are exactly the same, 17 1/2" high. The ADA law is "Toilet seat heights must be between 17" to 19" above the finished floor."

BTW we have never had a handicapped person ask to use our restrooms. The approved sign we have on that restroom shows the symbols for male/female/wheelchair.
Well are handicapped is higher than the other 2 toilets in every restroom that we have and I've had both men and women complain about it I wish that every restroom would accommodate the higher toilets for people to use because lots and lots of people have been nice out there and it's difficult to get up without the bars so our building houses I think it's 2500 people so I don't know what to say I'm not trying to be argumentative I'm not trying to be mean I'm just throwing it out there for thoughts that's all.

I hope to God you never have to deal with pain so bad that you cannot get up off those shorter toilets. I hope you never have to deal with what some of the people in this thread have been brave enough to share. It's not easy.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-24-2018 at 04:18 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 04:22 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
I honestly have never seen an actual handicapped person in the restroom while I have been in there. So I have never actually thought about it, but now i'll think about it.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:24 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Get a She Wee or a GoGirl.

We take them camping so we are not forced to make the trek to the bathrooms in dark.
That's a good idea for out in the woods camping with no close amenities.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:35 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
That's a good idea for out in the woods camping with no close amenities.
You can use them to stand up and aim instead of sitting on the low toilets.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-25-2018, 12:10 AM

840 posts, read 773,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Get a She Wee or a GoGirl.

We take them camping so we are not forced to make the trek to the bathrooms in dark.

One needs more than just something to help them aim with, in the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness