Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 05:36 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
One's body and mind can desperately need sleep without one feeling 'sleepy'.

Not me. If I'm not getting enough sleep, my body tells me by making me want nap time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 06:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
With insomnia, a person can desperately need sleep, but does not feel sleepy at all. Some feel the opposite of sleepy - with racing thoughts or feeling hyperactive.

The same can happen during the day or early evening hours - one feels hyperactive, cannot calm down, has racing thoughts, has worries - and very much needs sleep, but the body and mind will not calm down enough to sleep - and one does not feel sleepy.

(oldgardener, you're old or older, and some older people nap a lot - being in old age does not always apply to others who have a sleep vs rest problem)

Old 12-23-2018, 06:19 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
old joke:
i have not slept for three days since that would be too long.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:47 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Quote:

(oldgardener, you're old or older, and some older people nap a lot - being in old age does not always apply to others who have a sleep vs rest problem)
I've been like this all my life, even when young, it has nothing to do with age--if I don't get enough sleep, I need a nap during the daytime. I do not nap at all otherwise, just if I'm not sleeping well.

I'm giving my own viewpoint here, not yours.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:23 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
I sleep a solid 8 hours every night and I don't get sick and don't have any chronic medical conditions. That's me, I don't know if the two are related. I never nap during the day, even on the rare times when I went to bed late because of travel.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:47 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I sleep a solid 8 hours every night and I don't get sick and don't have any chronic medical conditions. That's me, I don't know if the two are related. I never nap during the day, even on the rare times when I went to bed late because of travel.
I never napped all my 80 yrs until recently a little dozing in the afternoon. Long day when retired and not able to run around as I did all my prior life. I sleep good all in all, last night was a little too much dreaming but still good sleep and Healing.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:41 AM

171 posts, read 141,884 times
I always better not to nap unless you are sleep deprived, napping all it does is mess up your rhythm, cats, dogs and animals can get away with it cause they dont anything all day, plus they probably need fewer hours than a human. Go to sleep at the same hour, wake up same hour.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
With insomnia, a person can desperately need sleep, but does not feel sleepy at all. Some feel the opposite of sleepy - with racing thoughts or feeling hyperactive.

The same can happen during the day or early evening hours - one feels hyperactive, cannot calm down, has racing thoughts, has worries - and very much needs sleep, but the body and mind will not calm down enough to sleep - and one does not feel sleepy.

they don't feel sleepy because they are now afraid of NOT falling sleep, this builds upon itself, a double whammy. If you can't fall sleep in the first place and this happens continuously for whatever reason, genetics, hormones, stress, now you will develop an anxiety towards not falling sleep, it will be in your head every time you try to fall sleep, this alone will prevent you from falling sleep until nature takes over and you do. It can takes hours before your body is so exhausted that it overrides the annoying mind and shuts everything down

a vicious circle as now you have slept fewer hours, you still feel tired the next day, and it keeps on adding up

people who dont have insomnia dont think about these things cause it has never been a problem for them, they just go to bed, maybe think about some stuff or whatever, boom, they fall sleep

It is impossible to not feel sleepy if you are sleep deprived, though it may seem that way, is your mind whats keeping you awake, the body still feels sleepy and wants to take break to recover

many people who have insomnia acquired it through fear and negative experiences trying to fall sleep, but the majority have a genetic predisposition for it, they're pretty much screwed for their rest of their life, as they have had this problem for years, if not decades

their bodies probably don't produce enough hormones to fall sleep, of something is going on behind the curtains, chemical processes and reactions inside the brain, which cannot be controlled by the conscious mind, which are causing your problem. The anxiety over not being able to fall sleep now, is just the icing on the cake

This is why this has to be prevented before it happens, before it builds a negative reaction in your mind, this can be done by taking sleeping pills or meds, otherwise, if you just suffer, that INCEPTION, that idea will build in your mind like a cancer, that you can't sleep and this thought, will appear every single time you hit the sack, without fail

the only way to overcome this negative thought now is to prove to your mind that you are not having a problem, in other words, falling sleep without any problem for many consecutive days or weeks. Your mind won't accept anything else than real tangible proof. If you have a predisposition to insomnia, then this can only be accomplished with medication, otherwise, the problem will only get worse with time.

Last edited by NasalPolyps; 12-24-2018 at 12:05 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 02:37 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasalPolyps View Post
I always better not to nap unless you are sleep deprived, napping all it does is mess up your rhythm, cats, dogs and animals can get away with it cause they dont anything all day, plus they probably need fewer hours than a human. Go to sleep at the same hour, wake up same hour.
Napping has never bothered my sleep pattern. A twenty minute nap can be very revitalizing.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Napping has never bothered my sleep pattern. A twenty minute nap can be very revitalizing.

If you feel like napping, that's a sign you're not sleeping enough or your sleep is not that recuperative.

For some people napping in the day can lead to having some difficulty falling sleep at night, which could lead to anxiety building up, depends on the person. People who have insomnia almost always suffer from anxiety of some form
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness