Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 12:09 PM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Data consistently shows that those who average 1-2 drinks of any ethanol per day live longer than those who drink less and those who drink more.
This!

My cardiologist told me that 1-2 glasses of red wine per day has some benefits but, if I didn't drink, starting to drink would not be advised. So I do think the benefits of resveratrol are there but there are several ways to get it without red wine. Sharing a glass or two of red wine offers benefits from the camaraderie, stress reduction, relaxation, and a sense well being from enjoying something you look forward to.
When my father was alive, one of his adages was, "too much is no good!" To which I would always reply, " but not enough is worse!"
Enjoy what you enjoy in moderation. Under the best of circumstances, life is far too short anyway, so live your life fully and completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 12:14 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
As someone else said, it's about antioxidants, and you can get them without wine.

Personally, I think any amount of alcohol is bad for my body, so I don't drink it anymore.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:35 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
On wine and health...

20 Foods That Raise Your 'Good' Cholesterol

14. Red Wine
Let’s open a bottle from the cellar and toast to good health, because a nightly glass of red wine may be the secret not only to staying young but also a key way to increase total HDL levels, according to a European Journal of Clinical Nutrition study. Do be mindful of the strength of your pour, however as a true glass is only considered 4 ounces.

20 Foods That Raise Your 'Good' Cholesterol

If I am offered a glass of red wine I will certainly have one...but generally speaking I cannot drink any alcohol because my body is completely drunk after one drink. But on occasion I do like a single small glass of good red wine and then right to bed I go.

Apparently today is the day that wine (red) is good for us.
When was the last time anyone had a 4 oz. glass of wine? Maybe the last time they had a 6 oz. cup of coffee?

Old 04-20-2019, 02:07 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I always take these studies with a grain of salt, as they always seem to be getting debunked every few years or so. I say everything in moderation, and just know that certain things will be more harmful for you than other things.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:08 PM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
When was the last time anyone had a 4 oz. glass of wine?
Last time there was 4oz in my glass! Lol

Old 04-20-2019, 02:19 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
Okay, is 2-3 light beers every afternoon considered moderation. A friend wants to know. Think the etoh content isn't terribly high.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:56 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Vit E is also a strong anti-oxidant, but those who take it have higher rates of MI.

Oh, sigh. So, Guido, what is "MI" for us massively uninformed?
I am taking Vit E and really need one more thing to worry about!!

Old 04-20-2019, 06:31 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Guessing myocardial infarction
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-21-2019, 06:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
This!

My cardiologist told me that 1-2 glasses of red wine per day has some benefits but, if I didn't drink, starting to drink would not be advised. So I do think the benefits of resveratrol are there but there are several ways to get it without red wine. Sharing a glass or two of red wine offers benefits from the camaraderie, stress reduction, relaxation, and a sense well being from enjoying something you look forward to.
When my father was alive, one of his adages was, "too much is no good!" To which I would always reply, " but not enough is worse!"
Enjoy what you enjoy in moderation. Under the best of circumstances, life is far too short anyway, so live your life fully and completely.
this has been my theory for years. I turned 82 yesterday, am doing well except for my back and that nothing to do with my wine consumption. Well,, as long as I don't start falling anyway D My doctor told me a few months ago, 3 even 3 glasses at night wont hurt me, or course he added 3 bottles might.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:20 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Like many people, I've heard over the years that a glass of red wine every now and then is beneficial to the body. Other researchers and doctors maintain, however, that ANY amount of alcohol is not really good for overall health. Is there a consensus as to who is correct?
Western Doctors follow the heard - they do what they are told to say.

So,

Now....IF you ONLY drink 4-6 oz per day (at night) that is good for the platelates (sic?) in your heart then it's OK.

But most don't do that, so they say "no" to anything.

It's up to you.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness