Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:08 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,870,510 times

Advertisements

As a former non drinker I started drinking again and now my liver hurts. So does that mean I'll live longer than before? O RLY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 03:59 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,015,603 times
I remember a few years back - my mother-in-law went on a red wine, dark chocolate and nuts diet. And she lost weight!

Man, those were some great visits!

Old 04-29-2019, 10:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I remember a few years back - my mother-in-law went on a red wine, dark chocolate and nuts diet. And she lost weight!

Man, those were some great visits!
can't rep you again, but cute reply...

Old 04-30-2019, 09:33 AM

You will lose weight eating nothing but candy and butter if you are taking in fewer calories than you are burning.... You won't be very healthy, mind you. One of those skinny people whose arteries are choked in fat.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Every American I know who drinks wine every day is also taking prescription cholesterol and/or other drugs.
I just wanted to chime in and say that I drink a glass or two of red wine nearly every evening and have done so for decades, and my cholesterol levels are fine and I'm on zero prescription drugs. I'm 57.

Just wanted to throw that in there for some perspective.

Oh and while I do not come close to filling today's "supersized glasses" to the rim, I will freely admit that each serving is about 6 oz. So yes, that's 6 to 12 oz of red wine just about every night. Maybe it's too much, but if so, oh well, I don't care. So far so good.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:43 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just wanted to chime in and say that I drink a glass or two of red wine nearly every evening and have done so for decades, and my cholesterol levels are fine and I'm on zero prescription drugs. I'm 57.

Oh and while I do not come close to filling today's "supersized glasses" to the rim, I will freely admit that each serving is about 6 oz. So yes, that's 6 to 12 oz of red wine just about every night. Maybe it's too much, but if so, oh well, I don't care. So far so good.
I think you are fine. I am also 57 and I am on a few medications but there is no interference with wine. My health is excellent. Low BP, great cholesterol numbers, and healthy weight. My husband and I share a bottle of wine a few nights a week.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:20 PM

It's not the cholesterol that floats through your blood that is the main danger, it is the inflammation in the artery walls which causes cholesterol (even if blood levels are low) to stick to the artery linings and gradually stiffen and block them. A large number of heart attack victims do not present with elevated blood cholesterol levels, despite having chocked up arteries. You would have to have some kind of scan to really know how chocked up your arteries are.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
You will lose weight eating nothing but candy and butter if you are taking in fewer calories than you are burning.... You won't be very healthy, mind you. One of those skinny people whose arteries are choked in fat.
funny you would say that: my doctor when we lived in the DC area said weight loss was strictly based on calories taken in. So if your calories all come from booze or candy or whatever and you take in less than you burn off you will lose weight, but he also added, of course you will come to see me with a bad liver if those calories all come from booze.

BTW off the topic, but not totally, you mentioned your liver is hurting. I have never really heard of anyone that has a liver that is hurting, could you explain what you mean by hurting and where it hurts?

Old 05-01-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

and you have the attitude most have about social drinking. We are not holier than though, we don't need to reminded of what some studies might show and if we do consume too much that is our choice. I happen to be one of those like you who enjoys a glass or two (closer to 2) each night and no they are not 4 oz glasses, nor are they 10 or 12 oz. I am someone who eats very little junk food, but don't lecture others about the dangers of junk food. It is all up to each of us what we want to do and how we want to do it.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:31 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and you have the attitude most have about social drinking. We are not holier than though, we don't need to reminded of what some studies might show and if we do consume too much that is our choice. I happen to be one of those like you who enjoys a glass or two (closer to 2) each night and no they are not 4 oz glasses, nor are they 10 or 12 oz. I am someone who eats very little junk food, but don't lecture others about the dangers of junk food. It is all up to each of us what we want to do and how we want to do it.
Yes, I regularly split a bottle of wine every night. That means I consume 12 oz wine every night. Been doing this for 25 years now, and liver is 100% fine! I have heard one other person (my brother-in-law) complain of liver pain, he is a long time hard-core alcoholic and smoker, use to do hard drugs too. He looks terrible and I doubt he will live a long life, sad to say....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness