Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 03:50 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,101,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Several very serious cases of life wasting and crippling mental issues. I am friends with a couple former heavy users who despise it now and have educated me in the dangers of modern weed, the very high THC content type which was not around when we were teens. This is nothing like the hippies smoked back when your parents were kids. Even a regular variety when heavily used will trigger a change in your personality. Who knew messing with your brain using psychotropics could cause issues, eh ?

Btw, I am seeing the same types of effects on my next door neighbor who smokes everyday. Anxiety, paranoia, depression, acting irrational, staying home all the time...And this is light compared to what I saw in the past.
You cite anecdotal evidence to support your opinion that cannabis causes crippling mental issues.
Others cite anecdotal evidence to back their assertion that cannabis is totally safe and cures everything.

Regardless, it should be decriminalized and studied further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 04:07 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
If sorel's friends started smoking when teens or early twenties, that may be the problem. It is definitely not recommended for brains still developing, also, they may have been self medicating for mental or emotional issues.

Most people I know are like my husband: he gets up goes to the gym, runs errands, eats healthy, walks the dogs, works in the yard, might meet friends for lunch, and towards the end of the day may smoke. This does not cause him to become a couch potato, he is still doing things, helps with dinner, etc. I'm not going to fret about it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,171,312 times
Quote:
What hearsay ? I mentioned things that happened to my friends. But since most of y'all stoners have a vested interest in seeing it legalized, we should not expect any rational comments from you.
I had a BIL and a friend's son that both died at 50. Both had been heavy users forever. They also consumed alcohol and did whatever else they could come across. I cannot say definitely that MJ caused their deaths. It is the lifestyle that I blame. Both of them had parents that died one year before they died and they had inherited money; so it was one big party until the end.

All of us that have been around before and through the Vietnam war know somebody that was stoner that dropped out of society. And, yes, many abused other substances and some of those other substances were legal and some were not. I worry about the message legalization sends to our young. I worry about the example that the parents give their young. I also worry about increased accidents on our roads. We are being herded down this rosy garden path and not too many are fighting to accomplish that with caution.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,731,276 times
Quote:
What hearsay ? I mentioned things that happened to my friends. But since most of y'all stoners have a vested interest in seeing it legalized, we should not expect any rational comments from you.
Do you prefer anecdotal? Anyone can say anything on the Internet.

And the problem with your statement is that I am not a stoner.

So we have more hearsay and anecdotes piling up over there. lol

Old 02-13-2019, 05:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,731,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I had a BIL and a friend's son that both died at 50. Both had been heavy users forever. They also consumed alcohol and did whatever else they could come across. I cannot say definitely that MJ caused their deaths. It is the lifestyle that I blame. Both of them had parents that died one year before they died and they had inherited money; so it was one big party until the end.

All of us that have been around before and through the Vietnam war know somebody that was stoner that dropped out of society. And, yes, many abused other substances and some of those other substances were legal and some were not. I worry about the message legalization sends to our young. I worry about the example that the parents give their young. I also worry about increased accidents on our roads. We are being herded down this rosy garden path and not too many are fighting to accomplish that with caution.

On the plus side they will be slow moving vehicles. lol

Old 02-13-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I don't think that jokes about driving impaired are funny.

As people who want the prohibition on cannabis to end, we should be extra vigilant about this topic.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:55 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That is actually what law enforcement looks for....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-13-2019, 06:17 PM

21,560 posts, read 8,739,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Thanks for the link, AguaDulce. People with heart problems should absolutely avoid cannabis. It's not a cure-all, and it's not for everybody. However, people who shouldn't ingest THC can still get the benefits of cannabis without the psychoactivity if they use it in the form of CBD. My husband has cardiac issues and takes a 25 mg. CBD capsule day. He says it is helpful for his joint pain. Another friend of mine with an anxiety disorder can't tolerate THC at all, but she says that she finds CBD to be calming.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Thanks for the link, AguaDulce. People with heart problems should absolutely avoid cannabis. It's not a cure-all, and it's not for everybody. However, people who shouldn't ingest THC can still get the benefits of cannabis without the psychoactivity if they use it in the form of CBD. My husband has cardiac issues and takes a 25 mg. CBD capsule day. He says it is helpful for his joint pain. Another friend of mine with an anxiety disorder can't tolerate THC at all, but she says that she finds CBD to be calming.
THC works for me. I haven't tried CBD yet.

I would caution anyone who takes CBD to make sure they're getting it from a reputable source. There are a lot of people selling inferior product through multi-level marketing. They can be very persuasive.

"CBD isn’t a scam — it’s a powerful substance with a lot of medical potential. But most of the stuff on the market now probably isn’t worth your time." (emphasis added)

https://www.vox.com/videos/2018/11/2...misconceptions

Information about the avalanche of dubious CBD products available these days:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/27/s...-benefits.html

Last edited by AguaDulce; 02-13-2019 at 07:06 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 07:26 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,384,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If sorel's friends started smoking when teens or early twenties, that may be the problem. It is definitely not recommended for brains still developing

Exactly.

Now, let's be honest : do most people start drinking, smoking, doing drugs, past 25 or before ? People catch these habits when they are young, not in their 30s. MJ will cause brain issues, even undetected to any habitual user, but is more damaging to the youth who represent the majority of users anyway.

There is now reasonable evidence from longitudinal studies that regular cannabis use predicts an increased risk of schizophrenia and of reporting psychotic symptoms.

Here is a list of studies.

Hearsay. Sure it is.

Last edited by Sorel36; 02-13-2019 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: format
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness