Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 11:30 AM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I don't remember exactly, but there was controversy about Dr. Atkin's death. The low fat advocates wanted everyone to think his diet advice was no good. It is turning out that most of what he said was probably right. Years ago, he was talking about metabolic syndrome and carbohydrate addiction. Mainstream medicine has been very slow to accept those ideas, but it is true that most heart disease results from metabolic syndrome and diabetes 2, NOT from high cholesterol. High cholesterol may be a co-factor, but in most cases is not a primary cause.
Atkins didn't die of a heart attack. He fell and hit is head 9 days prior to his death. He died of traumatic brain injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 12:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/w...rt-health.html

Sooo frustrating. This came out today suggesting that eggs could be associated with heart health. I hate that they threw it back into doubt.

I am frustrated because I thought it was settled science that

- Cholesterol is made in the liver and the reason cholesterol in your food doesn't matter is because your liver cuts back on production of cholesterol once it realizes you are getting it in the diet.
[/b][/b]
- Eggs specifically contain vitamin K2 which is proven to keep calcium out of places where it shouldn't be in and in your bones (leading to less hardening of the arteries).

Since getting the green light on eggs I eat about 2 or 3 per day.

Eggs are a perfect food. Period. They proved 50 years ago that the lecithin in an egg white far outweighs the bit of cholesterol in the yolk. George Burns ate eggs (lots of them daily) every day and lived to 100.

You state many (still generally unbelieved) truths regarding cholesterol and heart disease. For one, it IS the liver. The liver "directs" lipid metabolism. Short of a liver transplant (or statin use, in many - not all) there is nothing you can do. Atherosclerotic plaques are merely an endstage manifestation of a damaged vessel lining, regardless of what damaged that vessel's endothelium, and in many cases high plasma cholesterol had little to do with it. That wad of bacon you ate today may have jacked your total cholesterol up - for an hour or so - just maybe. Long term - it's the liver that regulates that. And everybody's liver works differently. There is nothing much standardized about that (so, forget algorithms).

Treating hypertension is important. We know that hypertension (for purely mechanical reasons) damages vessel linings - particularly large vessels and the initial segments of coronaries. Plaques in those areas will cut your life short, for sure. But that does not address the so-called "downstream atherosclerosis" syndrome which kills! REAL Early - like 50-ish in many. Classically, symptoms that are not typical for angina occur (because these myocardial infarctions are often "inferior wall" type - which can present with pain as low as the belly button or just mild nausea - and be misinterpreted). The few risk factors so far known to be predictive of this are systemic inflammatory syndromes like psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. Some of these maladies are apparently part of a broader systemic inflammatory process that may (unknowingly, up to now) include a low grade or transient vasculitis involving middle sized arteries instead of small arteries and arterioles (which classically cause things like pinpoint skin lesions). They are just now getting down to investigating this theory. Because this downstream atherosclerosis involves fatal MI's in the prime of life, and is probably more prevalent than they expect, it needs aggressive research.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 03-18-2019 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 01:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
In my mid 20s I gained a lot of weight and so I went to the doctor and had bloodwork done. My cholesterol numbers were pretty bad for my age. So my doctor asked about my diet.

I was eating about 2 dozen eggs a week, pizza, beer, salad, cheese enchiladas, potato chips, french fries, and a whole lot of other assorted garbage.

My doctor said, "Stop eating eggs, for god's sake, and add more of those salads to your diet!"

10 years later, back to my normal weight, in fact more physically fit than I had been since my teens, I went to the doctor and had bloodwork done. Cholesterol normal, good cholesterol high, great VO2, low body fat, everything stellar. So my doctor asked about my diet.

I was eating about 2 dozen eggs a week, a mix of raw and cooked vegetables, beef, fish, and chicken, the occasional pizza and beer.

My doctor said, "Stop eating eggs for god's sake, and add more salads to your diet!"

Old 03-18-2019, 01:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/w...rt-health.html

Sooo frustrating. This came out today suggesting that eggs could be associated with heart health. I hate that they threw it back into doubt.

I am frustrated because I thought it was settled science that

- Cholesterol is made in the liver and the reason cholesterol in your food doesn't matter is because your liver cuts back on production of cholesterol once it realizes you are getting it in the diet.

- Cholesterol itself does not bear relation to clogging of the arteries as there are plenty of people who have had heart attacks with low cholesterol numbers.

- Eggs specifically contain vitamin K2 which is proven to keep calcium out of places where it shouldn't be in and in your bones (leading to less hardening of the arteries).

Since getting the green light on eggs I eat about 2 or 3 per day.
First of all I always have a problem with certain media outlets and what they have to say, regardless as to who did the testing or study. Another concern I have: a lot of things might be bad for us: sex for one, how about drinking too much water or eating too many veggies? We could go on and on. I am not concerned at all about this study or who says what about eggs or anything else. Who did the study and how it was determined is a question to ask as well.

Heck when I went for my semi annual checkup a couple of months ago, my doctor informed my sodium was on the low side. I asked him if using more salt would help and should I? He said, if you don't start swelling go ahead. that made my day.

Last edited by nmnita; 03-18-2019 at 01:44 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
First of all I always have a problem with certain media outlets and what they have to say, regardless as to who did the testing or study. Another concern I have: a lot of things might be bad for us: sex for one, how about drinking too much water or eating too many veggies? We could go on and on. I am not concerned at all about this study or who says what about eggs or anything else. Who did the study and how it was determined is a question to ask as well.

Heck when I went for my semi annual checkup a couple of months ago, my doctor informed my sodium was on the low side. I asked him if using more salt would help and should I? He said, if you don't start swelling go ahead. that made my day.
People still think what fats go down your gullet go into your bloodstream and wind up registering on your blood lipid panel. It isn't that simple. In fact, its very complex - way more complex than the average Joe could ever grasp and in most everybody, has very little to do with what you eat.

I truly believe that too much of anything, and too little of most things will either cut your life short - or, one day, make you wish it was cut short.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:23 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
I have to wonder just how carefully controlled these studies are. Are they certain that the subjects didn't ingest other cholesterol-loaded foods while they were in the study? Eggs for breakfast, which I presume would be monitored, then a hunk of cheese for lunch, prime rib for dinner. That sort of thing. And then there's the propensity for familial high cholesterol levels and so on.

And there's another component . . . how about eggs that are cooked into one's food. They're in so many recipes - does that ever come up or is it just a freestanding egg, so to speak? Are we somehow supposed to calculate the cooked-in egg into our safe allotment of eggs? Something to ponder.

I'm going to have my three scrambled eggs for dinner tonight as I have on Monday nights for years. My cholesterol is very low where it should be low and very high where it should be high so I'll continue to indulge weekly until I have reason not to.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:38 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
I can't count how many times they've decided eggs were bad for you, then changed their mind and decided they are good for you. Same with coffee and everything else. I'm tired of being told for years that something is bad and then the next thing you know, it's not bad. What is REALLY bad for you is processed food, but they don't seem to be too concerned about ringing alarm bells about that.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:15 PM

The "no butter, EVER!" thing really cracks me up.

Real cheese is essentially butter that has "ripened" but, nonetheless, they slather it on everything (including Mrs. O'Bama's school lunches) and not a peep from the health gurus. LOL!

On topic - glad to see that the hens are a settin' again. I picked up a dozen eggs for 99 cents last week. They were $1.89 a month ago.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:02 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Atkins didn't die of a heart attack. He fell and hit is head 9 days prior to his death. He died of traumatic brain injury.
Right, I forgot about that.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:28 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Excellent observation. This “correlation means causation” fallacy is one of my pet peeves.

The top 10 silly correlations:

1. Ice cream consumption leads to murder.
2. A pirate shortage caused global warming.
3. Living in a poor country increases penis size.
4. Eating organic food causes autism.
5. M. Night Shyamalan makes bad movies because people don't buy newspapers.
6. Using Internet Explorer leads to murder.
7. Mexican lemon imports prevent highway deaths.
8. Obesity caused the debt bubble.
9. Facebook caused the Greek debt crisis.
10. Facebook also cancelled out the cholesterol-lowering effects of Justin Bieber.

Source: See https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ons#.btle3M7K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Also, as Mikala says, moderation in all things is usually a safe bet.
But not always. Moderation in the consumption of arsenic, lead, and other heavy metals isn't a safe bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness