Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:30 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times

Advertisements

I agree with don. If you have nothing you wish to tell them, don't do the survey. IMO it is an opportunity to let them know anything you find problematic or exceptionally positive about their service, including all the staff, equipment, waiting room, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 02:42 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Surveys are a joke. Whats there to improve on? If a doctors characteristics are not revealed during the eight years of school and residency we are doomed.
People are moody and too to dumb to differentiate bad from good service in any field.
So you'd rather no one asked anything about a service others pay for? You don't want to give a provider any inkling that something could use improvement or that they did a fine job "except for" one fixable aspect? Really? Some provider could have been brilliantly successful in school or residency and be in high demand, but run a confused inefficient practice because of it. Its something they could act on if they knew. Last time I looked, they weren't teaching mindreading in medical school.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:25 PM

949 posts, read 572,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
So you'd rather no one asked anything about a service others pay for? You don't want to give a provider any inkling that something could use improvement or that they did a fine job "except for" one fixable aspect? Really? Some provider could have been brilliantly successful in school or residency and be in high demand, but run a confused inefficient practice because of it. Its something they could act on if they knew. Last time I looked, they weren't teaching mindreading in medical school.
That is correct. Other opinions do not matter to me because most people cannot differentiate good service from bad service.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:25 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
A lot of them have been swallowed up by bigger chains who conduct the surveys.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:15 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
That is correct. Other opinions do not matter to me because most people cannot differentiate good service from bad service.
I was trying to suggest that the survey has value for the doctor, not necessarily for other patients. We've all read incredibly stupid off-topic "reviews" left by customers.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:44 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
I was trying to suggest that the survey has value for the doctor, not necessarily for other patients. We've all read incredibly stupid off-topic "reviews" left by customers.
I always wonder if the docs even read those reviews.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:47 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Considering the number of people I know who've had crappy experiences with a doctor, I figure doctors need all the help they can get in being clued in to when they're acting like jerks.

Quote:
Surveys are a joke. Whats there to improve on? If a doctors characteristics are not revealed during the eight years of school and residency we are doomed.
People are moody and too to dumb to differentiate bad from good service in any field.
Why would a doctor's future office staff and procedures and business practice be revealed in school?

Also, I could make a list for you right now of doctors and nurses whose service sucks, yet this was apparently not weeded out in med school (or maybe at some point after graduation they just stopped caring, I don't know).

Quote:
And they're usually pretty obvious. "Dr. Smith would not allow my pet rattlesnake in the exam room and would not do my laundry when asked, what an unreasonable jerk." "Dr. Smith is a terrible doctor because I don't like his socks." It's often pretty easy to weed out the idiotic reviews of any person, product, or service from the ones that seem more legitimate or consistent ("Dr. Smith told me not to worry about the blood gushing from my femoral artery, handed me a band-aid and charged me a hundred bucks for it." "Dr. Smith showed up to my appointment so drunk he fell over 16 times during the 10-minute exam." "Dr. Smith the obstetrician attempted to do a pregnancy exam on my 80-year-old grandfather").

Old 05-10-2019, 05:26 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,938 times
Customer satisfaction surveys in general are one of my huge pet peeves. I rarely fill them out, particularly when they are just multiple choice answers to vague questions. If there is an “essay” part, and I had some kind of unusually good or bad experience, I will consider it. I do find them even more aggravating in health care environments. It seems pretty clear what the health care provider should be providing — effective, caring, competent healthcare. And it is part of their job to evaluate themselves in this regard. It’s not my job to be their internal quality control.

Not to long ago, I encountered this “please the customer approach” in the ER. I went in because I suddenly felt extremely ill while I was eating at a local restaurant. During the intake process, they actually asked me: “And what would you like us to do for you?” I said: “Help me feel better and if possible find out what’s wrong with me.” I mean, what other answer were they possibly expecting? Maybe I should have added: “while treating me with dignity, respecting my privacy and not causing me any iatrogenic illness,” but really, shouldn’t they already know this?

Old 05-10-2019, 06:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
What is up with the plethora of doctors' offices and health care in general conducting surveys about "your experience" with them? Personally, I find this off-putting, as though health care is becoming more focused on getting a positive rating than solving the problem that I presented to their office about in the first place. Thoughts?
That is the exact point
It is about marketing vs quality of experience
Which is really funny because I don’t think with the insurance industry controlling medicine today there really is a lot of “shopping around” like you experience with restaurants or car mechanics or shoes...

My long time-30 yrs- PCP retired (is working part time til Sept)
I don’t really have a relationship with the other doctors in his practice
I am on Medicare and a Plan F Medigap supplement
I live in urban area between Dallas and FTW—there are PLENTY of doctors’ offices in this area but it wasn’t easy to find a doctor to take a new patient w/Medicare and Medigap

My former doctors’ office has lot of long time patients—my DR had lot of them—I posted about his retiring on NextDoor and got lot of responses with negative comments about the office in general—not so much him
I noticed that their rating on Google had dropped—is below 3 now—mainly because of the office staff and having a negative experience w/aDr that isn’t your PCP when you had to take a substitute...

The new doctor I am moving to has been my son’s PCP for several years and one of the doctors in this group had excellent comments from neighbors on NextDoor

But I have been asked to give a “review” the last few times I went to the original PCP office and saw a NP vs my own doctor...I thought because she was new but she has been there for two years now and isn’t so new.
I think this is part of how people within the group that owns this practice and others in the area justify their jobs and add “value” to the practice...

Old 05-10-2019, 06:30 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
If that were true then the reviews would not be posted online for everyone to read
And doctors might act on changing negative practices

Lot of people don’t like doctors and the nurse facing a laptop and entering info while asking questions of the patient—but they do it for E-charting==and I agree it can be disconcerting not to have eye contact

Yesterday I had appointment w/new doctor I am moving to
He came in and held his laptop in his lap—rolled his stool over close to me and did what he did while we were facing each other
Very different from how the personnel in my other practice operate
And I assume he takes the same laptop with him to all his rooms vs using the one installed that faces away from the patient that the nurse used...

It made for a very personal, direct meeting...
He did other things w/o the laptop
Like checking my lungs and artery points, doing throat/ears check
A cursory physical since I didn’t really have any specific issue like rash or sore wrist

But I doubt too many of his patients complain he doesn’t pay attention
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness