Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 06:27 AM

967 posts, read 1,073,995 times

Advertisements

I have twice. One time they were putting a heart monitor on me. Now I know they were just taping a sensor to my chest but there was a trainee there and they started talking about things like current running through it or something like that. I started picturing electricity rushing through my heart which I knew wasn't actually happening. I then started feeling weird and I remember asking them if the monitor was doing anything and then I woke up on the floor. The nurse insisted on calling an ambulance and I made the mistake of letting them take me to the hospital poke only for the doctor there to tell me that I just passed out which duh I already could have told them that. On top of that I had a several hundred dollar ambulance ride to pay for. Years later I was trying to make the move to using an insulin pump and I was feeling very light headed in the training class for it. I knew what was happening and this time I was able to lay my head down on the table. I then woke up to the sensation of coming out of a dark tunnel and hearing the nurse calling my name at the end of it. Again at this doctor they insisted on calling an ambulance despite me knowing I just fainted due to me being very squeamish to things I'm not used to happening to my body. This time I knew to refuse the ambulance service even though the paramedics acted like I had some horrible unknown life threatening condition that caused me to pass out and that I had to take a ride with them. No way I was doing that again when I knew there was no point in me going other than getting an unnecessary ambulance bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 08:25 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Yes and it was very surprising. I am not the least bit squeamish, and I've had many shots, blood draws, and I donate blood regularly, so needles do not bother me in the least. I had a bad case of poison oak and was getting a cortisone shot. As soon as I got the shot, before I could even pull up my pants, I felt like everything was receding, crazy thoughts ran through my head, and I felt myself falling backwards but I couldn't work my muscles. I fell backwards as the nurse was reaching out to me. She could see I was going to go down. I hit the back of my head on one of those metal trays on wheels that they have. I woke up on the table with BP cuffs on both arms. I guess it was a reaction to the cortisone.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:32 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
I have, but I wasn't there as a patient. I faint when someone describes medical procedures in a medical setting. I'm completely fine watching them on tv shows, having them performed on me or someone near me, but the description triggers something in my brain that causes me to pass out. I warn doctors ahead of time now and take measures if I feel myself about to go.
I almost fainted twice, once when my DH had his halo placed; he broke his neck in '94 and he wanted me in the room - I only had a vague idea about what a halo was and when they brought out the cordless Black & Decker screwdriver (?) I wanted to faint again when the device was removed.

It is absolutely horrific to be there when something like a halo is placed on someone you love. Everything is in a blur; you are still reeling from hearing the words "your husband has broken his neck at C4-5-6" and then they are using a power tool to screw a halo into his skull; removing it was less traumatic, but no less shocking.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:34 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I remember I did once as a teenager a long time ago, I felt embarrassed....
No.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:48 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Never anywhere.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:15 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I almost fainted twice, once when my DH had his halo placed; he broke his neck in '94 and he wanted me in the room - I only had a vague idea about what a halo was and when they brought out the cordless Black & Decker screwdriver (?) I wanted to faint again when the device was removed.

It is absolutely horrific to be there when something like a halo is placed on someone you love. Everything is in a blur; you are still reeling from hearing the words "your husband has broken his neck at C4-5-6" and then they are using a power tool to screw a halo into his skull; removing it was less traumatic, but no less shocking.
Of all the experiences I've read from all these posts, I think an experience such as you describe would be the "winner". Watching a loved one have a halo fitted around his head with screws (especially after hearing of his broken neck) would make me faint too.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:08 PM

801 posts, read 452,658 times
I fainted in a hospital. Went to see someone who was very sick, dying. I didn't know them well but went with a couple co-workers.
The hospital smelled really bad, like I'd never smelled before. It was awful. And that alone was getting to me.
Then I walk in and this guy has tubes all over and looks like death warmed over and it was shocking to me. I'm not sure why, but I guess I didn't expect him to look that bad or have so many tubes hooked up to him.
So I started to faint and had to excuse myself and leave the room. I felt terrible that I couldn't greet him with a smile and instead maybe made him feel worse.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:03 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Almost. Having stitches out after surgery, and asked why it was so hot in the room. Doc had me lie down right away.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:00 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I fainted after an endometrial biopsy. I felt like I couldn't breathe laying down, so I started to sit up, the room looked like it was all purple and green sparkles and that was it. My doctor said it was fairly common.
Yes, the same. Very painful, then my whole body got hot and I started to lose consciousness. Laying there with cold wet cloths applied to my face and neck, it took awhile to feel normal. I'd never had anything happen like that before nor would I like to repeat it.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:18 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post

I would have become faint, too. But at the same time, try to be strong for my loved one, and comfort him. I'm sure he was scared, too!

How is your husband doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness