Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 05:22 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndisclosedFeature View Post
Revoked your conset to be a donor?
Yes. On my DL. Actually went back to the DMV & paid for a renewal to do so. If donors are needed so badly they should get their act straight.

Last edited by coschristi; 09-20-2019 at 05:44 PM..

Old 09-20-2019, 05:31 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
I recently renewed my drivers license in California,
and you are an organ donor BY DEFAULT in CA.

It's not simply 'check the box' or not, now you have to take separate action and go to ANOTHER website to opt-out, if you choose to do so. The website flys by in small print during the registration procedure.

However, at a cocktail party conversation with some medical professional, I remember he told me the ghouls will take your corneas without asking.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
That's ridiculous. I live in a "Death with Dignity" state. Absolutely no one is "checking off a list" and declaring anyone to be a "vegetable". Please cite ANY of those who have joined in "self advocacy" against this. And the "group" they and YOU are part of. It doesn't exist and you know it. It is purely a personal decision and CANNOT be made by anyone but the person themselves. Not spouse, not parent, not sibling - no one! The person has to be of sound mind and able to speak for themselves. Where on earth did you get this nonsense?

Read the statistics. You are doing nothing but spreading the ridiculous "slippery slope" mentality. Get off you high horse and do the research.
Lol.

John Kelly’s Newest Op-Ed Greets the New Year With A Great Message | Not Dead Yet

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...fornia/397235/

https://www.independentliving.org/do...uthanasia.html

You do you; I don't believe most have their priorities straight.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:46 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
I wouldn't complain. People need to be pragmatic. If my mother or my one of my brothers needed a transplant and got one, it's great news. But I'm aware there's a great risk it would not happen.

The same happens to millions of people who get transplants and end up dying regardless. It's a risk.
Sure it’s a risk, but the alternative might be death... what do you have to lose if you might die without it? This makes no sense. A chance is better than no chance.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
In the United States alone, 21 people die everyday waiting for an organ transplant. Though about 45 percent of American adults are registered organ donors, it varies widely by state.
That could be me one day & it sucks. If it worked the way it was supposed to & like it was meant to; I would be back 'in'.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:49 PM

24 posts, read 14,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
However, at a cocktail party conversation with some medical professional, I remember he told me the ghouls will take your corneas without asking.
I'm sure they remove a lot of other organs without permission. My friend accompanied his mother's body all the way he could to make sure no one from the transplant team even came close.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yes. On my DL. Actually went back to the DMV & paid for a renewal to do so. If donors are needed so badly they should get their act straight.
This seems a little akin to those crazy "get off my lawn" guys who call the local paper and cancel their newspaper subscriptions after an article they don't agree with gets published.

Donors are needed so badly, because very lovely and deserving people need organs others no longer need.

To make your decision based on the personalities of staff, or whatever perceived shortcoming made you decide not to save a life, is petty.

It's surprising - shocking, actually - that you think you might be on the organ transplant list some day and yet you made a very special effort to make sure your own organs aren't donated.

If I ran the system, people like that wouldn't be in line to receive an organ. You get what you give.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:02 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
I'm sure they remove a lot of other organs without permission. My friend accompanied his mother's body all the way he could to make sure no one from the transplant team even came close.
So to put it bluntly, your friend guaranteed that other people would be grieving just as much as him when their own loved ones awaiting donation passed away. Misery loves company, I suppose. You'd think the experience of losing his mother would make him more empathetic to those facing death, not less.

Personally I think withholding an organ (from a deceased donor) from someone who needs a life-saving donation is like withholding water (when you have plenty) from someone dying of dehydration. You're basically passively killing them for no logical reason.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:07 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,412 times
We lost a 25 yo son to a brain stem injury almost 3 years ago. We asked the hospital staff to put us in touch with the organ donation team, they were kind and understanding while waiting for us to make a decision to take him off life support.

After the time came they stayed with us for comfort till we felt we were ready to go home.

They harvested many organs and as donors and recipients remain confidential we may never know who he helped. They do provide a service where they will forward letters from recipients to the donor family (no identifying of who either party is)

we did get a letter about 6 months after his death from a recipient thanking us and telling us that the new kidney her husband received was thriving and he hopes to return to a normal life (he was 53 yo)

Fast forward a couple of years, I lost a kidney to cancer and the remaining one is struggling to keep my system going. If it comes to the time I need a kidney, I hope a family can look forward and make the same donor decision we did.

This story has 2 endings, Sad and Happy. We would encourage any family faced with the tough decision to donate their loved ones organs to remember, someone may live because your family could look past the sadness to a better life for someone else.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
I think organ harvesting is degrading, particularly for the receiver. The whole idea I find revolting, to be so desperate for a few years of life that we are willing to butcher dead people for their organs. None of us wants to die but the reality of our biology is that new life is possible only because the old has passed on. It seems selfish to think that some of us are better than this biological necessity. It makes me really uncomfortable that we have an ethos that is built up around the idea that organ harvesting is normative.

And then there is the whole ethical thing - in many places it is the privileged and the wealthy who get the organs, and it is the poor or criminals, who are forced to give them up. It is a nasty business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness