Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 03:43 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitis456 View Post
What do you take? When I got floaters, and my doc felt my pressures were increasing a few years ago, I started to take more Vitamin C. The pressures went down and have stayed the same the past couple of years (15 - no idea what they were previously).

The floaters have diminished too.

Could be a coincidence.

If I need to do closeup work I will take my contacts out completely. I see much better then. I've been like that a long time, but it's been more dramatic since I've needed to use readers since 2010 or so.

I remember the first time I looked at the plug for my old Motorola phone without contacts - I had NO idea there were little pins in there!

I first got glasses for distance in 5th grade. Great stuff. Blows my mind that kids consider them a fashion accessory now.
You can listen to whomever you choose. I've had floaters for probably 20 yrs and they are hardly there now and I'm 81. My go to's for eye health are:

Vit C, Grape Seed Extract, Lutein/Billberry or one or the other, Cataract Prevention Homeopathic Drops. No cataracts here. No other eye diseases either, I see clearly and good for my years. Still using 10 yr old scripts for reading and any distance when needed. I'm glad I never got contacts and do like the fashion of the neat frames we can choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Please do not listen to jaminhealth and neglect your eye exams as he/she does. Eye exams are extremely important! The purpose of an eye exam is not just to update your glasses prescription and make us money.

The main purpose is to check the overall health of your eye, updating the glasses prescription is secondary. The only blood vessel visible externally is the retina, and because of this, it provides us with wealth of information on your health. We can diagnose high blood pressure, diabetes, even brain tumors based on an eye exam. Also, certain eye diseases have no symptoms, especially in the early stages. If we catch them early, your vision can be saved. If we don't, you can lose a lot of vision without even knowing there is a problem.
I got eye exams for probably 60+ yrs of my life, on schedule as we were told to, but since the eye supports faithfully, not in the last 10 yrs or so.

I tell no one what TO DO, this is what I Do.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-17-2019 at 04:00 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 04:19 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I got eye exams for probably 60+ yrs of my life, on schedule as we were told to, but since the eye supports faithfully, not in the last 10 yrs or so.

I tell no one what TO DO, this is what I Do.
My last eye exam was about 10 years ago in my early 60's. I wear progressive lenses. Bottom range for my glasses is nothing for near vision, middle range a bit more, and upper part for distance. As a child I had "coke bottle" glasses and was told I could have been declared legally blind. Over the decades my vision has gotten better and better. I was told by opthomologists that your body changes as you get older. If you had very bad vision as a child, your bodily changes can also cause your vision to get BETTER the older you get.

I never wear my progressive glasses for reading/computer, or around the house. Occasionally, not even for watching TV. Depends how tired I am. A number of times, I ran out of the door and driven several miles until I realized I was not wearing my glasses. Purely to test it, I took a vision exam without glasses. I could read down to the third line whereas as a child I could not see the Big E at the top.

I do not take supplements at all or for anything, so get off your high horses with that one.

Last edited by Jo48; 10-17-2019 at 04:34 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 04:23 PM

Well Jo, not everyone is as good as you. I thank my supplements.

Just remembered I was told in my very early 20's right eye was lazy and it was like 20/200....all these years later it's still holding it's own with whatever numbers.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:55 PM

264 posts, read 190,848 times
Quote:
Please do not listen to jaminhealth and neglect your eye exams as he/she does. Eye exams are extremely important! The purpose of an eye exam is not just to update your glasses prescription and make us money.

Are you kidding?! Doctor says two years, I say nope, I'll be back next year! I don't mess around with my eyes. I really like them

Old 10-17-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My last eye exam was about 10 years ago in my early 60's. I wear progressive lenses. Bottom range for my glasses is nothing for near vision, middle range a bit more, and upper part for distance. As a child I had "coke bottle" glasses and was told I could have been declared legally blind. Over the decades my vision has gotten better and better. I was told by opthomologists that your body changes as you get older. If you had very bad vision as a child, your bodily changes can also cause your vision to get BETTER the older you get.

I never wear my progressive glasses for reading/computer, or around the house. Occasionally, not even for watching TV. Depends how tired I am. A number of times, I ran out of the door and driven several miles until I realized I was not wearing my glasses. Purely to test it, I took a vision exam without glasses. I could read down to the third line whereas as a child I could not see the Big E at the top.

I do not take supplements at all or for anything, so get off your high horses with that one.

Coke bottle kid here. School was BRUTAL because of them. I went to contacts as soon as I could (9th grade). Luckily my mom wore them else I would have lost that argument. Have not looked back and am terrified I will someday be forced to use glasses again. I will have to get bigger ones or wrap arounds or something, because I don't see how people deal with no (ie blurry) peripheral vision.

My current glasses are like small dollar store readers, I guess they were more stylish when I got them in 2005 or so (and they look fine on me) but the lack of vision around the edges can actually make me nauseous, so I never wear them. I can get around the house and yard without them.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:39 PM

482 posts, read 901,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
As we age, we tend to get farsighted. "I don't need glasses, just longer arms." If you started out near sighted when younger, you may notice an improvement as you age .
Yep, I was always nearsighted in my youth and they have improved to the point I dont wear my progressive lenses anymore. BUT need reading glasses to see what I am eating now. LOL! Then of course, there are cataracts forming I was told, but not ready for surgery according to the eye doctor. Night time vision not as good anymore. Ahhhhhh, the fun of aging.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
Yep, I was always nearsighted in my youth and they have improved to the point I dont wear my progressive lenses anymore. BUT need reading glasses to see what I am eating now. LOL! Then of course, there are cataracts forming I was told, but not ready for surgery according to the eye doctor. Night time vision not as good anymore. Ahhhhhh, the fun of aging.

My night time is sketchy with other lights on the road and horrible when you add rain. Not fun. But I'm ok when I'm on a dark road. We replaced my headlights last year and that helped a lot too. Whoever thought plastic headlight housings were a good idea should be drawn and quartered.

Someone told me astigmatism causes poor night driving, but I've had astigmatism all my life and the dr didn't say it was any worse. I'm definitely more sensitive to the newer headlights (I remember hating halogens when they came out too, but I think they all got more tolerable as their headlight plastic yellowed). LED = PAIN

Thankfully he didn't mention cataracts and my pressures are stable so no glaucoma talk either. One more week and I get to play with different contact strengths to try and figure this out.

Is there a website where you can put in your script and show someone the blurriness that you see? Last time I tried to google that, all I found was specific conditions.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:36 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitis456 View Post
My night time is sketchy with other lights on the road and horrible when you add rain. Not fun. But I'm ok when I'm on a dark road. We replaced my headlights last year and that helped a lot too. Whoever thought plastic headlight housings were a good idea should be drawn and quartered.

Someone told me astigmatism causes poor night driving, but I've had astigmatism all my life and the dr didn't say it was any worse. I'm definitely more sensitive to the newer headlights (I remember hating halogens when they came out too, but I think they all got more tolerable as their headlight plastic yellowed). LED = PAIN

Thankfully he didn't mention cataracts and my pressures are stable so no glaucoma talk either. One more week and I get to play with different contact strengths to try and figure this out.

Is there a website where you can put in your script and show someone the blurriness that you see? Last time I tried to google that, all I found was specific conditions.
I don't know if you have an anti-reflective treatment on your glasses, but that helps tremendously with nighttime glare and halos around lights. A coworker of mine told me Transitions helps with glare too and although it is not specifically marketed for that purpose, I can see how it can help even at nighttime. Astigmatism itself doesn't cause poor nighttime driving. Crappy glasses, cataracts, and uncorrected refractive error does. There is no website in which you can show someone the blurriness. There are websites that claim to do eye exams for you but their accuracy is horrid and of course they can't check for eye diseases.

If you want to get cheap eyeglasses, I recommend Costco. I get my own glasses from Costco, and the lenses are similar quality to glasses at other opticals. Overall I am very happy with them. However, they do not warranty their frames and lenses, which is annoying. I got a small scratch in a lens. I have no idea how, and they told me all they wouldn't really help me; all I could do is pay full price for both lenses since the treatments would be a different shade if I only replaced one.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I don't know if you have an anti-reflective treatment on your glasses, but that helps tremendously with nighttime glare and halos around lights. A coworker of mine told me Transitions helps with glare too and although it is not specifically marketed for that purpose, I can see how it can help even at nighttime. Astigmatism itself doesn't cause poor nighttime driving. Crappy glasses, cataracts, and uncorrected refractive error does. There is no website in which you can show someone the blurriness. There are websites that claim to do eye exams for you but their accuracy is horrid and of course they can't check for eye diseases.

If you want to get cheap eyeglasses, I recommend Costco. I get my own glasses from Costco, and the lenses are similar quality to glasses at other opticals. Overall I am very happy with them. However, they do not warranty their frames and lenses, which is annoying. I got a small scratch in a lens. I have no idea how, and they told me all they wouldn't really help me; all I could do is pay full price for both lenses since the treatments would be a different shade if I only replaced one.

My glasses have all that.

I have a lot of glare at night with my contacts and someone said it was astigmatism that causes it and then google has all these images like the link below.

Way back when I wore hard contacts that actually moved up and down over my eye with each blink, I'd get reflections off them, but that stopped when I started wearing larger soft contacts. In recent years I have more glare like the picture shows.

https://blog.synergeyes.com/clear-vi...-see-at-night/

I really don't want glasses at ALL. As long as I can still put contacts in my eye I'm good. Glasses will be an absolutely last resort for me.

And people really use websites to guess their eye script? Wow!!!

I just thought it would be interesting to show my SO what I really mean when I say "I can't see that without my contacts"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness