Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 11:13 AM

530 posts, read 175,184 times

Advertisements

It looks like simply washing with soap and water eliminates more germs than hand sanitizer, judging by the pictures.

Quote:
Jaralee Annice Metcalf shared photos of a science project she did with her class, writing alongside a series of photos, "We took fresh bread and touched it. We did one slice untouched. One with unwashed hands. One with hand sanitizer. One with washed hands with warm water and soap. Then, we decided to rub a piece on all our classroom Chromebooks." The result: "So DISGUSTING!!!"
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...or-flu-season/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 01:48 PM

3,439 posts, read 2,414,310 times
Hand sanitizers don't clean. That isn't what they're for! They kill bacteria, mostly. You can pour that stuff on a mound of dirt and that mound will be thoroughly sanitized - but it'll still be dirt.

Old 12-17-2019, 04:15 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
I cannot use hand sanitizers, or even those anti-bacterial soaps. My hands get raw, cracked, and bleed.

When I worked in public schools, the above was all they had. I brought in my own bar of plain soap to wash my hands with. All the little kids wanted to use my bar of soap instead. Sure, you can use it. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:01 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
Soap good. Germs bad.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:50 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I had an allergist who would give you mold plates (?) to take home and leave out in different rooms for a certain amount of time. Then they'd test them to find out what kinds of molds you had in your house. A lot! And if that wasn't enough, just to drive the point home, she'd suggest leaving a glass of juice sitting out for a day or so. Yuck. Mold growing on the top. At least you can usually see mold but not so with a lot of the other stuff that's floating around in the air or is on your hands. Soap and water!

Old 12-18-2019, 10:42 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Not to get OT, but you live in South Florida you learn all about mold; black, white, pink, yellow, and orange molds.

In an elementary classroom I worked in we had fuzzy white mold growing under chairs, tables, and in closets. Everyone was getting sick with sneezing, coughing, and sore throats. We were told not to attempt to clean it up ourselves because that would send the spores all over into the air. School sent in a HazMat team to clean it up during Holiday Break. They told us to NEVER set the AC room setting above 74 degrees in the classroom, or mold will grow. "If you are cold (at 74 degrees?), put on a sweater instead."

Old 12-18-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Not to get OT, but you live in South Florida you learn all about mold; black, white, pink, yellow, and orange molds.

In an elementary classroom I worked in we had fuzzy white mold growing under chairs, tables, and in closets. Everyone was getting sick with sneezing, coughing, and sore throats. We were told not to attempt to clean it up ourselves because that would send the spores all over into the air. School sent in a HazMat team to clean it up during Holiday Break. They told us to NEVER set the AC room setting above 74 degrees in the classroom, or mold will grow. "If you are cold (at 74 degrees?), put on a sweater instead."
AC also helps keep humidity low.

I wonder if mold is becoming more of a problem than it used to be? I don't remember it being an issue when I lived in humid areas in my childhood.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:03 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

We lived in Florida for a year and rented a house. To your point, the property management company had a lot of detailed instructions on actions or non actions they wanted taken at the home with regards to preventing mold. Wiping down the shower after bathing, not setting the AC above X degrees etc.

I'm from Houston, so I'm no stranger to humidity. I felt like some of their requirements were a bit over the top but I did them nonetheless.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
We lived in Florida for a year and rented a house. To your point, the property management company had a lot of detailed instructions on actions or non actions they wanted taken at the home with regards to preventing mold. Wiping down the shower after bathing, not setting the AC above X degrees etc.

I'm from Houston, so I'm no stranger to humidity. I felt like some of their requirements were a bit over the top but I did them nonetheless.
Do you recall there being this many issues with mold in Houston?

This experiment was done in Idaho. I wonder what the results would be in Florida?

On a side note, MSN has deleted this story from their website! Here's an archived copy of a similar one from Fox News. (This is a good reminder to always archive interesting articles and news stories in case they suffer a similar fate.)

https://web.archive.org/web/20191218...ng-moldy-bread

Original link:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/idaho...ng-moldy-bread

Old 12-19-2019, 11:42 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
Do you recall there being this many issues with mold in Houston?
Seems like most mold issues here in Houston are incidental to flooding (i.e. homes flooded during Hurricane Harvey, for example). I think the general suggestions I got while living in Florida are not necessarily a bad idea for someone living in any humid area. Things do have a propensity to seem more mildewy and "funky" down here if you will and I have to work harder to combat that than anywhere else I've lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness