Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 09:01 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I just read a clickbait article about all the foods you can eat in practically whatever quantities you want without gaining weight. They include green vegetables, cauliflower, onions, peppers, etc.- what you'd expect. My diet includes mass quantities of the non-starch veggies, with seasonings that don't add fat or calories. Fortunately I like hot and spicy and I don't worry about salt because my BP is fine. I eat meat only occasionally.

That's pretty much the standard Asian diet- not the Kung Pao Chicken or the other fried, fat-laden concoctions served at the Panda Buffet, but the good stuff. The focus is on vegetables, tasty seasonings and meat is only an add-in.
Yes! Exactly so!

Not positive about this, but most Asian cuisines I know about, don't include dairy-- no cow milk, cheese, sour cream and such...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 09:30 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

My mother is French so I grew up that way. You consume less when you eat slower and savor the food. People are generally happier and healthier too when they take time to enjoy meals. It's also about the ratio of food groups and reasonable caloric intake, as noted above.
I'm retired now but I served an apprenticeship with a Parisien pastry chef, I was trained to do everything he did but never could develop the palate French people have.

I was in Paris 10 yrs ago, ate in a few restaurants and since then I haven't eaten in any restaurant since, why waste my money.

Obesity is a spiritual illness, of the mind. I had a business partner who attended overeaters anonymous, she said it can be harder for the obese than for alcoholics because the drinker only has to abstain but the eater has to eat regardless. They are very sick people and poorly understood.
She said "I'm not an evil person trying to act good, I'm a sick person trying to get well".

Me when I was a teenager in the patisserie with Maurice and some pastry.
https://youtu.be/78i8-GOCiRY

Old 02-29-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I'm retired now but I served an apprenticeship with a Parisien pastry chef, I was trained to do everything he did but never could develop the palate French people have.

I was in Paris 10 yrs ago, ate in a few restaurants and since then I haven't eaten in any restaurant since, why waste my money.

Obesity is a spiritual illness, of the mind. I had a business partner who attended overeaters anonymous, she said it can be harder for the obese than for alcoholics because the drinker only has to abstain but the eater has to eat regardless. They are very sick people and poorly understood.
She said "I'm not an evil person trying to act good, I'm a sick person trying to get well".

Me when I was a teenager in the patisserie with Maurice and some pastry.
https://youtu.be/78i8-GOCiRY
I think I just gained a couple of pounds just looking at those wonderful pasteries.

Gorgeous.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:14 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Americans don't know how to eat, they chew and swallow.
Watch the French eat, they experience the food slowly, even if its only beans on toast.
Their food is the richest in the world, they should be fat, they would be if they ate their food like Americans.
So obviously theres more going on than merely what is on the plate.
You cannot experience the nuances of taste if you've already swallowed it.

Eating like asians doesn't mean eat chinese restaurant food either.
Americans have little trouble getting fat on asian food.
It means eat the way they eat, not merely what they eat.
The food at Chinese restaurants is not Chinese, it is American food. Actual Chinese food Americans would not recognize. I'm friends with someone from China and when we go to Chinese restaurants she gets a different menu than I do, and orders food I've never seen before.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:37 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
For me it all boils down to calories in vs. energy expended. I have grown fond of raw fruits, nuts and vegetables and eat less meat and bread than I used to. Fatty foods are of less interest to me than they used to be.

I don't know if this is a gift of age or whether, over the years of getting the message of what's healthy, I gradually changed my eating preferences.

I don't count calories and I rarely turn down a gooey dessert. It's a matter of eating what I want and everything in moderation. When my clothing starts to feel tighter I lower the calories and increase the activity. It doesn't fail me and I think catching it when I first notice it keeps me from having the huge task of paring down multiple pounds.

I believe it's important to not get too hung up on the subject. As jonesg mentioned a lot of the complication of overeating is psychological. There was a time in my young life when I thought a lot about eating and weight and much of my life centered around those subjects. Mental freedom from the obsession is important.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:04 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I stand 5 ft 2, weigh 123 . My doctor's obese chart states for my age group 50^ I'm bordering obese. Seriously it's ridiculous how that is so. Mind you I can drop ten pounds in 3 weeks if need be. I happen to be fine if this is the new 'over weight's standard.

I don't utter negatives to a person's physique. I lived 50 years listening to the utterly disgusting opinions spewed by strangers to my parent who was weight challenged. It remains a reminder even though it wasn't directed at my being...it still was said to someone I adored dearly. If ya really cared ....then care enough to be civil. You aren't doing the person one shred of good by Ill words.
That must be a mistake. No way, no how is your weight bad, much less bordering obese. I can't imagine what kind of chart the doctor is using but it's bs.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:52 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Yes. Eat large amounts of white rice. (High glycemic load starch) Lots of , usually peanut, oil even on the low fat low cal vegetables rendering them high fat/high cal. High amounts of sodium. And fish. Fish the oceans till they're sterile. Why not. Oh, and pork. Wonderfully low cal weight wasting pork. Yum yum

BE ASIAN: Genetics
You're factually incorrect.

Asians don't, as a matter of practice, "eat large amounts" of anything. They eat moderate amounts of a lot of things. Most importantly, they eat fairly low amounts of beef (a carcinogen). They eat tofu as much as they eat meats, pork, fish. Fish is a staple, of course. They eat more vegetables than anything else.

It's not genetics, because Asians start having the same physical issues as Americans, if they change their diets to be more Americanized.

It IS the diet. There's also estrogen in tofu & such, so women find aging not as dramatic in Asiatic countries as in America.

There's been fairly definitive proof now that groups eating a Mediterranean diet stay healthier, get less cancer, and have lower obestity rates. The mediterranean diet profile focuses on whole grains, good fats (fish, olive oil, nuts etc.), vegetables, fruits, fish, and very low consumption of any non-fish meat. Along with food, the mediterranean diet emphasizes the need to spend time eating with family and physical activity.

Old 02-29-2020, 01:12 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times
Quote:
I stand 5 ft 2, weigh 123 . My doctor's obese chart states for my age group 50^ I'm bordering obese. Seriously it's ridiculous how that is so. Mind you I can drop ten pounds in 3 weeks if need be. I happen to be fine if this is the new 'over weight's standard.
123 lbs at 5'2" is NOT obese. Get a different doctor.

That said, not all 5' 2" people who weigh 123 lbs are the same.
One person could be 123 lbs of muscle, and another 123 lbs and fat.

I have had people ask for my help that to the eye, look skinny and then have a hard time with a 5 lb dumbbell or simply walking on a treadmill.

This is an easy fix but as with an obese person, it requires a lifestyle change and baby steps should be taken to fix the problem.

Quote:
If ya really cared ....then care enough to be civil. You aren't doing the person one shred of good by Ill words.
I agree 100%!!!

Old 02-29-2020, 02:20 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Thank you for the encouragement .
The criteria from the doctor was my lack of muscle vs my bulk in the hips/abdomen. I'm definitely weaker in lifting yet I can bike (legs) fine.
As for the topic of slow eating..or ingesting. I tend to eat smaller meals ..thru out the day.

Old 02-29-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
For me it all boils down to calories in vs. energy expended. I have grown fond of raw fruits, nuts and vegetables and eat less meat and bread than I used to. Fatty foods are of less interest to me than they used to be.

I don't know if this is a gift of age or whether, over the years of getting the message of what's healthy, I gradually changed my eating preferences.

I don't count calories and I rarely turn down a gooey dessert. It's a matter of eating what I want and everything in moderation. When my clothing starts to feel tighter I lower the calories and increase the activity. It doesn't fail me and I think catching it when I first notice it keeps me from having the huge task of paring down multiple pounds.

I believe it's important to not get too hung up on the subject. As jonesg mentioned a lot of the complication of overeating is psychological. There was a time in my young life when I thought a lot about eating and weight and much of my life centered around those subjects. Mental freedom from the obsession is important.
Yes, I sure agree.

Much the same in our home.

Less processed food, heavier on the salads & steamed veggies.

Light on sugar, light on animal protein. More nuts & beans. More soups.

Drink plentiful water...

Never hungry, no calorie counting.

Also, we stay active and try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day--usually more.

My big tip: do not bring junk food into your home. Find healthy, nutritious snacks.

For us it's cut up apples or grapes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness