Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 09:22 AM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
My opinion.……….Reopen ? Not until there is a world wide available vaccine that is effective for everyone.

The US does not exist in a vacuum. A second point...AS long as your country has idiots who think that they are ""Immune because of their religious beliefs " you will have a huge problem, when the second wave arrives. Be assured that it will come.
Nice. You put down the U.S. and the religious folks who reside there. Anyone else you want to insult? How about the Chinese Communists who are the actual guilty party? And now it's coming out that the virus did come out of that lab in Wuhan?

As for "world wide vaccine" that's BS. Most people will develop herd immunity to the virus - in fact millions already have. In about three months, we'll have great treatments to get people recovered in 3-4 days.

And yes, in about six to nine months there will be a variety of vaccines in widespread testing.

The gyms will all come back next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 09:33 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
In about three months, we'll have great treatments to get people recovered in 3-4 days.

And yes, in about six to nine months there will be a variety of vaccines in widespread testing.

The gyms will all come back next year.

The best I have heard is an emergency vaccine might be provided to healthcare workers in the fall of 2020. A vaccine for the rest of us is not expected to be available before the spring of 2021.

I have not heard of "great treatments to get people recovered in 3-4 days." Can you please cite your sources?

Old 04-16-2020, 09:56 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I have a similar opinion. I worked out up until my gym closed and then tried to join other gyms but they all eventually closed. I was thinking about this the last time I worked out and realized it is impossible to clean much of the equipment. I was trying to wipe off free weights and there is just too much surface area. Weight machines, treadmills, bikes, Stairclimbers, etc. are much easier. I think people could sign up online to workout with people given time slots and lots of disinfectant to wipe down equipment before and after.

As an avid basketball player, I realize it is one of the worst sports for this virus, and I don't seen anyone playing games for many months.

I do think pools could reopen on a limited basis for swimming laps. I swim laps at my local Y and I don't see why they couldn't have people sign up for time slots with one person to a lane.
I was going to the gym until mid-March when my gym closed, which was done about 3 days before some level of local government mandated gym closures. My fitness level isn't at the level it was when the gyms closed, even though I have been doing YouTube workout videos. It's not the same. I'm likely to be back at some point when it opens, but I'm not sure now if that's an immediate thing.

I live in an apartment with a pool. The pool is currently closed. It is possible to swim laps in the pool, which I do regularly from May-September. Given that it is April, I'm sensing that Coronavirus will impact my ability to swim laps this summer.

I play tennis. I had not played since about mid-February when the virus hit. I'm in no rush to play tennis again. The social distancing is achieved with players on the opposite sides of the court, but the touching of the ball is a concern. I can imagine playing tennis in medical latex gloves to not be fun at all.

I want to be back in the gym most but I'll do it in a measured way.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I was going to the gym until mid-March when my gym closed, which was done about 3 days before some level of local government mandated gym closures. My fitness level isn't at the level it was when the gyms closed, even though I have been doing YouTube workout videos. It's not the same. I'm likely to be back at some point when it opens, but I'm not sure now if that's an immediate thing.

I live in an apartment with a pool. The pool is currently closed. It is possible to swim laps in the pool, which I do regularly from May-September. Given that it is April, I'm sensing that Coronavirus will impact my ability to swim laps this summer.

I play tennis. I had not played since about mid-February when the virus hit. I'm in no rush to play tennis again. The social distancing is achieved with players on the opposite sides of the court, but the touching of the ball is a concern. I can imagine playing tennis in medical latex gloves to not be fun at all.

I want to be back in the gym most but I'll do it in a measured way.
I have a pull-up bar in the garage so my workouts now are a combination of pull-ups and pushups. It is better than nothing but not much better.

I had been working at hard until mid-March, and was stronger than I had been in a couple years. I have quickly lost the strength.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
The best I have heard is an emergency vaccine might be provided to healthcare workers in the fall of 2020. A vaccine for the rest of us is not expected to be available before the spring of 2021.

I have not heard of "great treatments to get people recovered in 3-4 days." Can you please cite your sources?
hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycin + zinc. Look it up.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycin + zinc. Look it up.
I looked it up to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Doesn't look promising so far but there are obviouls many variable such as dosage and when to use it.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....10.20060699v1

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/healt...ine/index.html

https://www.newsweek.com/hydroxychlo...ardiac-1496810

https://theconversation.com/a-small-...navirus-135484

Old 04-16-2020, 10:30 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,355 times
SO basically, I didn't waste money making my own home gym?

Old 04-16-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I looked it up to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Doesn't look promising so far but there are obviouls many variable such as dosage and when to use it.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....10.20060699v1

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/15/healt...ine/index.html

https://www.newsweek.com/hydroxychlo...ardiac-1496810

https://theconversation.com/a-small-...navirus-135484
CNN, Newsweek, and theconversation are anti-Trump liberal websites. Trump is pushing hcq. Therefore, they try to paint it as ineffective. I don't know what medrxiv is but the "official" party line by the medical establishment is to poo-poo anything that's not scientifically proven.

However there are thousands of docs around the world reporting good results from it. Look up Zev Zelenko M.D. who has treated over 1,500 patients in New York, for example.

You can believe the liberal media, or you can get the cure. Pick one.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
CNN, Newsweek, and theconversation are anti-Trump liberal websites. Trump is pushing hcq. Therefore, they try to paint it as ineffective. I don't know what medrxiv is but the "official" party line by the medical establishment is to poo-poo anything that's not scientifically proven.

However there are thousands of docs around the world reporting good results from it. Look up Zev Zelenko M.D. who has treated over 1,500 patients in New York, for example.

You can believe the liberal media, or you can get the cure. Pick one.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ze...irus-patients/

It appears they have used this combination a lot in New York City so I'll be interested in what gets reported there.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:09 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
It will likely not be for months (maybe even a year), until there is a vaccine. Of course, this is subject to change. I could see openings in the late summer/fall. Operations will definitely change though. Gyms will likely be loaded with disinfectant wipes and spray. There will be requirements to wipe down equipment before and after use (double cleaning). There will likely be ventilation, engineering changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness