Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 06:59 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Did I say, that it only caused Cold and Flu LIKE symptoms? If you are otherwise old and/or unhealthily you can get all kinds of things happening. If you're not you most likely get Cold and Flu LIKE symptoms.

But, hide under the bed for the next three months to two years, all you want.
The majority of cases in my state are aged 40-60 with severe symptoms. Thousands in the U.S. alone have been hospitalized for Covid-19 for an average of 9 days. That doesn't happen with mild symptoms!

Old 04-18-2020, 07:03 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Because it is "flu-like". I think that is what people mean. The flu kills a lot of people as well, but we are used to those deaths.
It's not that we are "used to" flu deaths", it's that there is a vaccine for the Flu that can drastically reduce symptoms which could lead to death. The Coronavirus spreads faster, has symptoms that can be 10x greater and currently we don't know if you will get immunity from it. It's a new virus that is affecting over two million people globally and killing thousands!

Old 04-18-2020, 07:30 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

I call it "Flu-19" on these forums all the time.
I don't understand why you would do this if you know that it is incorrect. The "flu" is an illness caused by an influenza virus. This novel coronavirus, Covid-19 (called "novel" because it is new) is caused by a coronavirus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Don't forget CNN and most MSM. They might not say it now but when it first came out all news were stating that it was a type of flu.
I'm not so sure reputable news outlets did this. They probably said it was a "flu-like illness," which at the time seemed to be the case. If they did call it a "type of flu" at the beginning, they were mistaken, and as sane people, have chosen not to continue saying that. No reputable news outlet is currently referring to it as a "type of flu."

Old 04-18-2020, 07:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Because...

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's a duck. So why fancy it up? Especially when special interests groups are hyping it up as the world's baddest boogeyman for all the wrong reasons.
I don't see how. There are flu-like symptoms, yes but this is far more deadly than the flu. It averages 9.3m to 49m a year. Let's round that to 30m. Just this past flu year has a projected 29-59k. Let's round it out at likely 44k deaths. We are at 38K today in about a month and a half of deaths from Covid-19 and 739k cases. Covid-19 has a 5% rate while the flu kills 0.01%. Now tell me it is the same...

Symptoms of the flu include:
Quote:
Sore throat
Fever
Headache
Muscle aches and soreness
Congestion
Cough
Symptoms of Covid-19 include:
Quote:
Fever
Cough
Fatigue
Lack of appetite
Shortness of breath
Mucus/phlegm
Body aches
Sore throat
Headache
Chills
Stuffy nose
Nausea or vomiting
Diarrhea
So tell me, this is still a just a flu?

Quote:
I call it "Flu-19" on these forums all the time.
Yep and you're wrong. You have also claimed the boxes in the unclaimed graves on Hart Island are empty with no proof.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
There is also chest pain and tightness in the chest, and inability to breathe, feeling as if one is suffocating, needing oxygen to breathe, needing a respirator, being critically ill with severe inflammation and organ shutdown, graduating to severe pneumonia, excess sweating, weakness, lungs stop working.

One could go on.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:03 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's more like pneumonia. In fact, it can turn into pneumonia, which I THINK is what kills people. For others it's very mild even after the incubation period.

The virus can leave a person's lungs damaged, even after recovering. Like pneumonia can. It's not the flu at all or even like it. The flu is like a serious case of sinusitis, a doctor told me once. I went, thinking I might have the flu, but I had a bad case of sinusitis.
No, flu is not like a bad case of sinusitis, and I would be very surprised if a doctor told you that.

Pnuemonia just means lung infection, without regard to its cause. Flu can infect the lungs, which means it causes pneumonia. Bacteria commonly get into lungs damaged by influenza and cause what is known as secondary pneumonia

SARS-CoV-2 also causes pneumonia which is very different from that caused by flu or the secondary bacterial invasion ith flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If you're asymptomatic it means you are not sick and you have a healthy immune system.

Oh the HORROR of having a healthy immune system. I know that people are terrified of healthy immune systems these days. Those horribly healthy asymptomatic people should be sick and dying ...

Because we have to wait for SuperHero Vaccine Man to save us all. Until then, we need to to stay hunkered down in Metropolis hiding from Big Bad C-Man, who could be lurking around EVERY CORNER. He could be your neighbor ... the cashier ... that guy in the park walking his dog 100 feet away from you ....

BE SCARED!!!! TERROR!!!! STAY HOME!!!!
Who is terrified of healthy immune systems? No one wishes that those with few or no symptoms were sicker.

The fact of the matter is that social distancing is one of the few and arguably currently the best way to slow the spread of the virus. If your position is that we should not be doing that you are very wrong.

It is "healthy immune systems" that are killing people with COVID-19. The symptoms of any infectious disease are caused by the immune response to the infection. That is true of the cytokine storm that is killing some COVID-19 victims.

The question is why do some have few or no symptoms.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/09/...multiple-faces

Old 04-18-2020, 08:39 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You have also claimed the boxes in the unclaimed graves on Hart Island are empty with no proof.
I wasn't saying for sure that it's all faked. It just might be real. But I wouldn't put it past the New York government, their CDC cronies, and the mainstream media to stage that scene with empty caskets.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:12 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
I wasn't saying for sure that it's all faked. It just might be real. But I wouldn't put it past the New York government, their CDC cronies, and the mainstream media to stage that scene with empty caskets.
Good grief. They were burying unclaimed bodies. Normally they would usually have been stored longer but they needed morgue space for COVID-19 victims.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:10 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
I suggest you talk to a New Yorker. A friend of a friend had five family members die during the worst week according to President Trump and his cronies. Another friend rather healthy nearly died and he is about ten years older than me. A Broadway star is looking to get an leg amputated due to blood clots related to the virus while on a ventilator. It isn't fake.

You really just have a problem with MSM. Mind you, I believe it was a Fox station that aired the footage initially. I think it was the Fox station that I watched in New York because they at the time were good journalists and not partisan hacks put into place by the Murdochs.

Fox 10 Arizona are a perfect example of that. Trust me, they are partisan hacks for the right. One anchor said #RedForEd should really have been #GreenForEd because they wanted marijuana to be used to help fund the education increase in expenses to match Arizona Educator United funding goals (not just staff wages mind you.) She had no evidence of it. https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...g-pot-10367493

Old 04-19-2020, 06:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I have seen both on here and Facebook continually say that Covid-19 is just the flu. This is despite all the scientific evidence that says it is true? Is this simply anti-science, anti-MSM or what?
Not stupidity, not trying to min it but many are thinking in the terms of number of cases, deaths, etc and the flu does not get the same attention. Of course the virus is worst, due to no vaccine, more easily spread and harder to treat at this time, but they are similar in many ways, from what I have read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness