Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 09:50 AM

17 posts, read 10,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
that's nice. that still doesn't tell me why you need close monitoring. I suspect, because you keep evading the question, there is something you're not sharing. and that's fine.

having said that, the elevations are not alarming.
Hahaha, Why do these kinds of threads have to turn into false accusations and assumptions??? I AM NOT TAKING ANY OTHER MEDS THAN LISONPRIL!!!! I HAVE NO IDEA WHY I HAVE TO SEE MY DOC EVERY 6 MONTHS BESIDE HER TELLING ME THAT IS WHEN SHE WANTS TO SEE ME!!!! Why is this so hard for you to understand???

Good grief people! What the crap is wrong with some of you???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 09:52 AM

17 posts, read 10,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You ARE aware ibuprofen is a powerful anti-inflammatory drug, right? They're not M&Ms.

What exactly is your definition of being "on something"?

Let me guess: You've never told your doctor you're using ibuprofen regularly...
What exactly is your definition of being "on something"? I AM NOT ON ANYTHING other than LISOPRIL!

No, I did not know taking iBuprofen a couple times a week for my occasional aches and pains was an issue!

Old 05-13-2020, 09:59 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy50 View Post
Always one in every crowd!

BTW........My Doc has never instructed me to fast before coming in PROFESSOR!!
You might want to check further into this "fasting" idea. I've always been told to fast for 12 hours before having blood drawn for bloodwork. My wife has been told the same by a different doctor that she goes to.

In addition, the place (Quest) where I have my blood work done also asks before drawing the blood if I have been fasting. I recall one time at Quest about 5 years ago, I was sitting in the waiting area when a guy was called up to the counter to check his paperwork before having his blood drawn.

The guy had a mint of some kind in his mouth. Don't know if it was a breath mint or candy mint or what. The lady (nurse?) behind the counter asked him why he was eating before having blood work done. He replied that he was not eating... just having a mint. She raised h*ll with the guy about how that could mess up the results. After a minute or two of getting his butt chewed, he just turned around and left without having the blood work done.

I think I would ask another reputable source if your doc is not recommending fasting before bloodwork. There's got to be SOME reason why so many other docs and technicians in the medical facilities tell people to fast before bloodwork.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:31 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,197,078 times
Quote:
Yes, it is the schedule I have been on for the last 3 years.

went for a few years with untreated high BP. I have been on Lisinopril now for the last 3 years and my BP is consistant around 80-85 / 120-130.

FYI, lisinopril can give you a constant cough.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:57 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
What exactly is your definition of being "on something"? I AM NOT ON ANYTHING other than LISOPRIL!

No, I did not know taking iBuprofen a couple times a week for my occasional aches and pains was an issue!
On here people latch onto EVERY single word you say and try to make a molehill into a mountain - everyone has a THING that they are sensitive to and will catch you on it! Pay no attention...

Old 05-13-2020, 03:29 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Healthy kidneys should be able to keep BUN levels in the normal range when tested.

I do not do the 8 glasses of water thingy just drink coffee and water when thirsty. My diet is almost all fat and protein.......my BUN and BUN/CRE-ratio are well within the normal range.

https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/aa36271

A BUN test is done to see how well your kidneys are working. If your kidneys are not able to remove urea from the blood normally, your BUN level rises

Old 05-13-2020, 04:47 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Hello everyone. I am looking for a little help deciphering this lab result. I am a 50 year old male. Yesterday I went info my 6 month checkup with lab work. I still have no clue what all this means but due to the fact that my BUN numbers seem high, can anyone with knowledge please explain to me what is going on and what I need to do get these numbers within healthy parameters? Every time I ask my doctor about this, they just tell me to drink more water. I am already drinking 2 to 3 16.9 oz bottles everyday as it is. I cannot drink anymore.

My BUN-28mg/dl Range 6-20mg/dl
My Creatintine, Ser-1.16mg/dl Range 0.72-1.25mg/dl
My BUN/Creatintine Ratio-24.1 Range 7.5-15.5mg/dl

Thanks
Snoopy50
First thing to keep in mind with ANY lab value is that a normal "range" is just that...a range

Labs determine normal ranges by testing large numbers of randomly chosen presumably healthy individuals and then chart the results in a histogram. With any value with sufficient numbers of tests a bell shaped curve should be able to be formed which will include 95% of the tested subjects

In your range above for BUN the bottom number is 6 and top number is 20....95% of tested subjects fell within this range. That means that 5% of people will fall outside those ranges either above or below and are still technically "normal"

More important when interpreting results is change over time...

Is your BUN typically over 20 or is it usually in the teens?? That would be more important to know than a single point in time..

Of the 2 tests above for kidney function, BUN and creatinine, BUN is certainly more prone to fluctuations due to factors such as dehydration..

There are many reasons BUN can be elevated and those reasons are typically classified as Pre Renal...things that happen before the kidney such as being dehydrated or ill, Renal...things going on IN the kidney such as early failure and Post renal....obstruction beyond the kidney such as stones...

Have you had your BUN checked recently when it was much lower? Trends are more important than single data points

Old 05-13-2020, 05:08 PM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
-- haven't read the thread past the 1st page, so excuse me if this has been covered by someone already:

ACE inhibitors (like lisinopril) can cause elevations of BUN &/or creatinine levels.

More importantly, a small elevation of BUN & a normal creatinine has no clinical significance.

A guy 6ft 8 inches tall is mathematically abnormal. That doesn't necessarily mean he's unhealthy.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:06 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Quote:
Always one in every crowd!

BTW........My Doc has never instructed me to fast before coming in PROFESSOR!!
Look, you told us that you KNEW that you were required to fast when you admitted that you hadn't done so. Don't try pulling a line of BS, we're not all stupid here.

I am on treatment for HBP too, and required to have blood draws. In addition to actually READING the instructions/order for the draw, my doc informs me, every time, of the fasting requirement- if your doc doesn't do so, then your doc sucks, but I don't believe that because you've already told us that you knew you should have done it.

There are side-effects associated with BP medicines, as there are with most medicines, and periodic blood draws are required to monitor levels that would indicate adverse conditions. It's standard procedure, and the standard requirement is to fast beforehand. Getting defensive and snarky won't change the fact that you've been caught out.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:18 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,610,249 times
Don't know where u live but dehyration is a prob in many ppl. BUN & creatinine are affected by alot. If u worked out or did strenous muscle work day or so prior, its going to be higher exectretion levels on creatinine for sure as its a waste by product of skeletal muscle breakdown bigtime. These numbers are just spot checks in time & thus cannot eval a trend. U'd need repeat bldwk over a period of time. As in a cardiac suspected pt. in an er setting, who'd have blood work per 6 or 12 hr intervals to eval & look for enzymes etc.

In renal cases the BUN is certainly affected by low liquid intake. ALL liquid & even foods counts to the water content. Even fruit, veggies, coffee, beer, wine etc. it is just some act as diuretics & so lose hydration. Again ur doc is right; drink at least 64 oz of water/day but...i drink 128oz/day or a gallon. In addition to foods I use, that have a good amount o water like pasta or fruits/veggies. Then have ur doc retest at short intervals to look for a renal trend. Again I wouldn't panic over a spot test 'snapshot in time' which is what yrly bldwk is.

I know a bit re this all -- as was a med student for a yr or so prior to changing career path decades ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness