Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 08:37 AM

16,000 posts, read 7,052,519 times

Advertisements

Minor pains like earache, inflammation, shoulder pain, that you can manage without going to the doctor.
I always worry about side-effects of taking aspirin and the like and may end up taking too little for effect.
So here is the list. What is best and least harmful for these kinds problems and what dosage of the following:

Plain aspirin
Ibuprofen
Aleve
Tylenol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 10:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Minor pains like earache, inflammation, shoulder pain, that you can manage without going to the doctor.
I always worry about side-effects of taking aspirin and the like and may end up taking too little for effect.
So here is the list. What is best and least harmful for these kinds problems and what dosage of the following:

Plain aspirin
Ibuprofen
Aleve
Tylenol
For me, it is Ibuprofen and doctor as well as nurse practitioner who happens to be our granddaughter both say as long as you are sensible i will not do any damage and will help with the pain. I rarely take more than 2 a day, but when I recently broke a couple of ribs I took 6 a few days: that was by the approval of our doctor I will add.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:21 PM

14,338 posts, read 11,733,236 times
I keep plain aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol), and and ibuprofen in the house, at the regular or standard dosage. Which one I take or give my kids depends on the type of pain it is. If I feel feverish or like I'm coming down with something, I take aspirin; for muscle pain or cramps, ibuprofen; for toothache or earache, usually Tylenol.

We really don't take a lot of pain relievers but even so, I feel like it must be better to choose from several rather than take the same thing all the time.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:34 PM

23,343 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:

Plain aspirin
Ibuprofen
Aleve
Tylenol
I don't think this is the right approach to take. One size doesn't fit all. I could only report what works for me in my specific circumstances. No one here should be telling anyone else what they should or should not take to relieve pain or anything else.

People metabolize and tolerate each of these medications differently.

Each of them works to relieve pain differently.

As for dosages, again one size doesn't fit all. The recommended dose listed on the package might be too high for one person and the same dose might not make a dent for someone else.

What other underlying health concerns someone has and what other medications they take should influence which pain reliever choice they make...regardless whether they have an earache, headache, or arthritis. A common example is someone who takes blood thinners. They should not be using ibuprofen/naproxen even if it might work better for them.

This seems to give a good overall view of OTC pain relievers, how they work, counterindications, and potential risks.

https://www.webmd.com/drug-medicatio...ain-reliever#1

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-18-2020 at 01:49 PM..

Old 05-18-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I don't think this is the right approach to take. One size doesn't fit all. I could only report what works for me in my specific circumstances. No one here should be telling anyone else what they should or should not take to relieve pain or anything else.

People metabolize and tolerate each of these medications differently.

Each of them works to relieve pain differently.

As for dosages, again one size doesn't fit all. The recommended dose listed on the package might be too high for one person and the same dose might not make a dent for someone else.

What other underlying health concerns someone has and what other medications they take should influence which pain reliever choice they make...regardless whether they have an earache, headache, or arthritis. A common example is someone who takes blood thinners. They should not be using ibuprofen/naproxen even if it might work better for them.

This seems to give a good overall view of OTC pain relievers, how they work, counterindications, and potential risks.

https://www.webmd.com/drug-medicatio...ain-reliever#1

Nobody is telling anyone what to take as far as I can see. They are just sharing what THEY do and what works for them. That was precisely the point of the OP.
Let us all use some common sense.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:01 PM

8,781 posts, read 5,074,069 times
I really like those pain patches, that you stick on, for back, shoulder, knee pain ect. They feel warm and soothing....helps me alot.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For me, it is Ibuprofen and doctor as well as nurse practitioner who happens to be our granddaughter both say as long as you are sensible i will not do any damage and will help with the pain. I rarely take more than 2 a day, but when I recently broke a couple of ribs I took 6 a few days: that was by the approval of our doctor I will add.

When my doctor instructs me take Ibu she actually asks me to take more than the 200gm capsule I normally take, and several times. She wants me to get the inflammation down so I can heal.
On my own I am much more conservative, if one helps I'd rather not take two.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I really like those pain patches, that you stick on, for back, shoulder, knee pain ect. They feel warm and soothing....helps me alot.

Is the patch for heat only or is it medicated?
I make my own compress by putting a wet napkin in the microwave for 30 sec and slip into a mit, and use that. It works quite well.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:17 PM

8,781 posts, read 5,074,069 times
Quote:
Is the patch for heat only or is it medicated?
I make my own compress by putting a wet napkin in the microwave for 30 sec and slip into a mit, and use that. It works quite well.
I have had both medicated,and heat only patches. They both work for me, and you can go out, and wear them all day.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:21 PM

23,343 posts, read 18,916,990 times
Quote:
Nobody is telling anyone what to take as far as I can see. They are just sharing what THEY do and what works for them. That was precisely the point of the OP.
Let us all use some common sense.
I understand. The problem is, what works for one person might be exactly what another shouldn't do. Unless you give someone all your specifics their suggestion may not be of any use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness