Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2020, 06:53 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Oh, man-- one of the favorite days of my life is when I had my wisdom teeth pulled! (they weren't impacted). Gosh I just loved it, and the novacaine only wore off once during the extraction. And I didn't even touch any of the hydrocodone they gave me for the pain, just used Excedrin. It's probably quite certain I'm a nutcase.
Man I want to be you! I could down hydrocodone, oxy, anything! like tic tacs and NADA. Ive had numerous surgeries and it takes forever to put me out. I aggravate most anesthesiologists. I must be missing some sort of enzyme.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:49 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Man I want to be you! I could down hydrocodone, oxy, anything! like tic tacs and NADA. Ive had numerous surgeries and it takes forever to put me out. I aggravate most anesthesiologists. I must be missing some sort of enzyme.
Or you have too much of some sort of enzyme!

There are genetic tests that can help find out if you do. It might be helpful for your next anesthesiologist to know. Ask your primary care doc about pharmacogenetics.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5447546/

Old 09-20-2020, 04:53 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Or you have too much of some sort of enzyme!

There are genetic tests that can help find out if you do. It might be helpful for your next anesthesiologist to know. Ask your primary care doc about pharmacogenetics.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5447546/

...Cost of testing ~$1000.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmpliChip_CYP450_Test ..The same Info could easily be inferred clinically the old fashioned way-- Give the guy a dose and see what effect it has.

It's interesting from the the academic standpoint that the differences seen among pts in their clinical response to various doses of drugs can be explained by their differential genetics.... but now that we know that, we can keep on doing what we've always done: if the the standard dose isn't enough, give a little more. If the standard dose is too much, give a little less next time....

...We're still reduced to that even with the genetic info because it's more involved than just the CYP450 system. Sometimes the clinical response is not what the simple test predicts.

Old 09-24-2020, 12:50 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
If you just had your colo today, I assume those two polyps were removed and send for pathology....it is a bit early to say there was no cancer....tho the doc might have meant no obvious, suspicious looking stuff...

I used to do these exams, and yes when I saw a larger, nasty looking polyp those usually were cancer....there also were some smaller, benign looking polyps that I removed and sent for path...occasionally they were cancer, or pre cancer..

My own hubby’s colo found a bunch..of polyps..8 years after a total negative exam...they printed out a photo for me of all the polyps found..I pointed to one, and said that one looks malignant! It was! He had a sigmoid resection, no spread, no further treatment needed..
Btw...he had no bleeding or other signs..it was routine exam
Good luck with your results
Thank you. Finally heard back and the polyps were benign. I go again in five years.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
I have contributed to this thread previously but I would only add that anyone else who has had a colonoscopy (or not, for that matter) kindly share it with all of us here.

We never know which of our words or experiences will help someone else here, one way or another.

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2020, 08:50 PM

1,579 posts, read 950,006 times
I had my first one a few years ago at age 45. They recommended it because I was 10 years younger than my dad was when he was diagnosed with colon cancer. I will get another one soon.

My father died of colon cancer at 55, his mother (my grandmother) died of colon cancer at 71, and her father (my great grandfather) died of colon cancer but I am not sure his age, I think 64. I seem to have the same stomach/gut issues my dad and grand-mom did, so I am thinking I inherited that risk from them too. but I seem to have a better control over things than my dad did.

At my first and so far only colonoscopy they found and removed precancerous polyps.

I hate the prep though. They've got to think of a better way of doing that. At the very least, make the solution so it doesn't also make you feel nauseated. If they could make it taste like mint chocolate chip ice cream...

Old 09-25-2020, 05:06 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I hate the prep though. They've got to think of a better way of doing that. At the very least, make the solution so it doesn't also make you feel nauseated. If they could make it taste like mint chocolate chip ice cream...
It depends on your health but I had miralax and gatorade - only - for my prep. Absolutely no problem at all in taste. It just tastes like gatorade. My doctor originally tried to give me one of the 132 oz preps that tastes like sodium.. but I called and asked for something easier and I got the 64 oz Gatorade (taken 32 oz at a time). I was cleaned out just fine. Tasted great. I suspect the office has a standard prep they give everyone so you have to call and ask if you can have something else.

I believe the normal preps add in sodium so you won't become deficient of electrolytes. This causes nausea. But imho the key is to drink a lot of "electrolyte" substances and water prior to the prep so you are fully hydrated when you start. I drank gatorade and pedialyte. Before and during.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:27 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I had my first one a few years ago at age 45. They recommended it because I was 10 years younger than my dad was when he was diagnosed with colon cancer. I will get another one soon.

My father died of colon cancer at 55, his mother (my grandmother) died of colon cancer at 71, and her father (my great grandfather) died of colon cancer but I am not sure his age, I think 64. I seem to have the same stomach/gut issues my dad and grand-mom did, so I am thinking I inherited that risk from them too. but I seem to have a better control over things than my dad did.

At my first and so far only colonoscopy they found and removed precancerous polyps.

LOL, for the job it's got to do that would be the worst tasting mint chocolate chip ice cream you ever tasted.

I had a colonoscopy two years ago ( after a positive occult blood result) and the prep the doc ordered wasn't too bad. And it was inexpensive. It consisted of two doses of Dulcolax tabs a couple hours apart, followed by two bottles of magnesium citrate a number of hours apart ( I can't remember how many hours apart) the day before the colonoscopy. I think there may have been instructions also to drink a generous amount of water or other clear liquid ( not red or purple) as well, with no solid food. It seemed to do the trick.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:33 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I have contributed to this thread previously but I would only add that anyone else who has had a colonoscopy (or not, for that matter) kindly share it with all of us here.

We never know which of our words or experiences will help someone else here, one way or another.

Thanks!
I've related my experiences as well. The colonoscopy was about as uneventful as those things can be, and I snoozed through the whole thing. They ruled out cancer as the source of my positive occult blood but found its source with an upper endoscopy as several bleeding gastric ulcers which were then treated before they got worse. I had no idea I had those and can only be grateful this was done.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:06 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Thank you all, sincerely and reps to each of you for your generosity in sharing your own personal experiences. It can be very helpful for those out there who may be sitting on the fence and thinking it can't happen to me... or hesitancy due to the prep.

Seriously we all agree the prep is the very worse part of it the rest is a walk in the park in comparison.

Certainly in this day and time some brilliant medical genius would come up with a far more better way to eliminate and scour our colons prior to the actual procedure.

Again thanks to all of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness