Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2020, 08:31 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times

Advertisements

Its a long story, but basically, my sister remembers our parents taking me to Cincinnati Childrens Hospital about 2-3 times per week when I was around 9-10 yrs old, ( I have no memory of this), I asked my dad about it over the phone, and he said, "lets talk about this some other time in person"...which actually means, it will NEVER be brought up again. LOL

whats odd about this, I didnt have any serious medical issues as a child, the first incident I had was a broken arm at 12 yrs old during a BMX race. I have read thru my own medical record and there is nothing in there relating to being treated at Childrens hospital.

Im wondering if its possible for them to keep something out of a persons medical record, I cannot imagine any reason why they would do this though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 09:41 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
Have you tried contacting the hospital to get a copy of your own records ?

Old 09-03-2020, 10:57 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,999,223 times
I can't imagine not being able to remember having multiple weekly doctor visits ....Perhaps your sister is the one who can't remember....I can remember anything of importance from when I was 9!

Old 09-03-2020, 11:54 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,071,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I can't imagine not being able to remember having multiple weekly doctor visits ....Perhaps your sister is the one who can't remember..
Unlikely since the father said, "Let's talk about this some other time in person."

Quote:
..I can remember anything of importance from when I was 9!
Some adults don't remember traumatic experiences from childhood...so they say.

OP, I would insist that the conversation take place right now. No documentation of it is suspicious.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:43 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its a long story, but basically, my sister remembers our parents taking me to Cincinnati Childrens Hospital about 2-3 times per week when I was around 9-10 yrs old, ( I have no memory of this), I asked my dad about it over the phone, and he said, "lets talk about this some other time in person"...which actually means, it will NEVER be brought up again. LOL

whats odd about this, I didnt have any serious medical issues as a child, the first incident I had was a broken arm at 12 yrs old during a BMX race. I have read thru my own medical record and there is nothing in there relating to being treated at Childrens hospital.

Im wondering if its possible for them to keep something out of a persons medical record, I cannot imagine any reason why they would do this though.
What about turning this around and looking at it from a different angle? It is possible your sister was the one with a problem. Possibly she dreamt up the whole thing or had some distorted memory of that time. Siblings can have amazingly different memories about the same events. My sisters and I realize this all the time when we talk about family history. Maybe your parents told her a white lie about where they took you on those days to take pressure off the situation. Maybe your Dad wanted to explain/discuss your sister's issue with you at another time. The only ones who can explain this are your parents. Tell them you want to put this to rest and ask for an explanation.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-03-2020 at 01:11 PM..

Old 09-03-2020, 12:58 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Unlikely since the father said, "Let's talk about this some other time in person."

Some adults don't remember traumatic experiences from childhood...so they say.

OP, I would insist that the conversation take place right now. No documentation of it is suspicious.
Not necessarily. The records retention period is only a set period after you stop going to see a provider. The OP is clearly an adult now and presumably any records from that provider would have been destroyed/purged years ago. In order to get records transferred, you have to request the transfer or bring them over yourself. This is particularly the case for old records that would not be electronic. Current providers would have no reason to have records that are 30+ years old and in paper format unless the patient had been with that provider/practice that whole time.

Old 09-03-2020, 02:11 PM

867 posts, read 723,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Maybe your Dad wanted to explain/discuss your sister's issue with you at another time.

That is exactly my thought, too.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:35 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Quote:

You don't remember being brought there? Did you wait in the car? Perhaps this is just a memory that didn't imprint because you didn't notice anything amiss occurring that day / those days?

Old 09-03-2020, 05:55 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
OP you may find the answers to your questions at this web site...

https://www.rasmussen.edu/degrees/he...-records-kept/

How long are medical records kept? The answer isn’t black and white. The short answer is that laws vary by state. They differ on whether the records are held by private practice medical doctors or by hospitals. The length of time records are kept also depends on whether the patient is an adult or a minor. Generally, medical records are kept anywhere from five to ten years after a patient’s latest treatment, discharge or death.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:03 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:

How the hell do you have no memory of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness