Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:21 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

The Public Health Legacy of the 1976 Swine Flu Outbreak

President Gerald Ford’s administration embarked on a zealous campaign to vaccinate every American with brisk efficiency. In late March, President Ford announced in a press conference the government’s plan to vaccinate “every man, woman, and child in the United States” (1). Emergency legislation for the “National Swine Flu Immunization Program” was signed shortly thereafter on April 15th, 1976 and six months later high profile photos of celebrities and political figures receiving the flu jab appeared in the media. Even President Ford himself was photographed in his office receiving his shot from the White House doctor.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/hea...e-flu-outbreak

A health outbreak was sweeping the nation and the world with some calling it the next 1918 pandemic. It was an election year and the sitting President pushed hard for a vaccine before election day. However many suffered side effects including paralysis. My grandmother was hospitalized due to the vaccine. She recovered but was never the same.

So are we now repeating what happened in 1976?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 11:28 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

President Gerald Ford’s administration embarked on a zealous campaign to vaccinate every American with brisk efficiency. In late March, President Ford announced in a press conference the government’s plan to vaccinate “every man, woman, and child in the United States” (1). Emergency legislation for the “National Swine Flu Immunization Program” was signed shortly thereafter on April 15th, 1976 and six months later high profile photos of celebrities and political figures receiving the flu jab appeared in the media. Even President Ford himself was photographed in his office receiving his shot from the White House doctor.

A health outbreak was sweeping the nation and the world with some calling it the next 1918 pandemic. It was an election year and the sitting President pushed hard for a vaccine before election day. However many suffered side effects including paralysis. My grandmother was hospitalized due to the vaccine. She recovered but was never the same.

That is a good question.

I wonder how many people waiting for a vaccine have had the virus but didn't know it because they were asymptomatic.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
That is a good question.

I wonder how many people waiting for a vaccine have had the virus but didn't know it because they were asymptomatic.
Hopefully most of us would be tested prior to taking the vaccine if it was suggested. In fact I would think it would be a requirement if there was danger in taking it without knowing. I will let the experts advise us on that.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:33 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hopefully most of us would be tested prior to taking the vaccine if it was suggested. In fact I would think it would be a requirement if there was danger in taking it without knowing. I will let the experts advise us on that.

A negative antibody test doesn't necessarily mean a person hasn't been exposed to the virus. There is no way to definitively tell, AFAIK.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:43 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Interesting, but that isn't what I meant. Many people are desperate for a vaccine, any vaccine. I wonder how many of those people already had the virus and not only survived, it didn't even make them sick. We'll never know but it sure would be interesting info.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:29 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

This is a 2013 article for one. But, if you read it you will see this:

Quote:
Within 10 months, nearly 25% of the US population, or 45 million citizens, was vaccinated, but serious problems persisted throughout the process (2). Due to the urgency of creating new immunizations for a novel virus, the government used an attenuated “live virus” for the vaccine instead of a inactivated or “killed” form, increasing the probability of adverse side effects among susceptible groups of people receiving the vaccination. Furthermore, prominent American scientists and health professionals began questioning the campaign’s large expense and its drain on scarce public health resources (2).
We have learned a LOT since 1976, almost 45, years ago. None of the vaccines that are being developed today are "live virus" all are "inactivated" just parts of DEAD virus strands.

I got vaccinated for the Swine Flu. I wasn't happy about a live virus vaccine at that time, but I did get vaccinated! Neither MrsM or I, or anyone we knew had any ill effects

And, I will be first in line this time

Old 09-08-2020, 04:37 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Thank you, Mike, for setting the story straight.

It seems some people want to ignore the facts.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:23 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Actually, folks, here's the real story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_swine_flu_outbreak

In 1976 H1N1 was found here, the same strain that caused the 1918 pandemic that proved so devastating....The govt, no doubt with a great urging by the pharmaceutical industry, decided to pay for a vaccination program.

After a few months, several cases of ascending paralysis (Guillen-Barre Syndrome) were found in those vaccinated-- a very small percentage, given that 25,000,000 people were vaccinated. GBS occurs naturally in the same percentage of those who contact influenza infection....But the political appearances were negative and the program was stopped.

It had nothing to do with rushing the vaccine to market or to the way it was prepared.

In regards the problem at hand-- they're not taking actual short-cuts, but merely avoiding some of the paper work/ clerical regulations usually required. ...Long term side effects obviously can't be studied if we're not studying it over a long term...But can anybody here document for us a vaccine that wound up being denied licensure because it had long term complications?

Most of the FDA regs are in place for liability reasons, not medical reasons. You know how lawyers can pervert any situation to their own benefit.

Old 09-08-2020, 05:24 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
This is a 2013 article for one. But, if you read it you will see this:

We have learned a LOT since 1976, almost 45, years ago. None of the vaccines that are being developed today are "live virus" all are "inactivated" just parts of DEAD virus strands.

I got vaccinated for the Swine Flu. I wasn't happy about a live virus vaccine at that time, but I did get vaccinated! Neither MrsM or I, or anyone we knew had any ill effects

And, I will be first in line this time
There are live attenuated vaccines under development.

This one is designed to be administered nasally, like the nasal flu vaccine.

https://www.biospace.com/article/ano...eakened-virus/

Old 09-08-2020, 07:41 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Actually, folks, here's the real story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_swine_flu_outbreak

In 1976 H1N1 was found here, the same strain that caused the 1918 pandemic that proved so devastating....The govt, no doubt with a great urging by the pharmaceutical industry, decided to pay for a vaccination program.

After a few months, several cases of ascending paralysis (Guillen-Barre Syndrome) were found in those vaccinated-- a very small percentage, given that 25,000,000 people were vaccinated. GBS occurs naturally in the same percentage of those who contact influenza infection....But the political appearances were negative and the program was stopped.

It had nothing to do with rushing the vaccine to market or to the way it was prepared.

In regards the problem at hand-- they're not taking actual short-cuts, but merely avoiding some of the paper work/ clerical regulations usually required. ...Long term side effects obviously can't be studied if we're not studying it over a long term...But can anybody here document for us a vaccine that wound up being denied licensure because it had long term complications?

Most of the FDA regs are in place for liability reasons, not medical reasons. You know how lawyers can pervert any situation to their own benefit.
GBS after flu vaccine is 1 to 2 per million doses. It is more common after flu infection than after the vaccine.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/58/8/1149/355966

"Studies over the years have also shown an increased risk of GBS following influenza infection, and the magnitude of risk is several times greater than that following influenza vaccination."

Any COVID-19 vaccine would have to have serious risks that should be immediately evident in order to exceed the risks of the disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness