Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 03:18 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times

Advertisements

50 to 80 percent of patients report lingering symptoms three months or more after treatment.

Long-haulers include two groups of people affected by the virus:

1. Those who experience some permanent damage to their lungs, heart, kidneys, or brain that may affect their ability to function.
2. Those who continue to experience debilitating symptoms despite no detectable damage to these organs.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2020101521173

Zinc and vitamin C are recommended for Epstein-Barr virus when it becomes active. I would expect the same here as there may be a host of similar viruses activating with Covid-19 weakening the immune system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 05:58 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
This is not research, folks. A telephone poll as a medical study? Nope.

Keep. Living in Fear.
Totally agreed- not the same as articles in a peer-reviewed journal. That's going to take time. Even though COVID was around last December in China, extensive testing didn't really start in the US till maybe March. So, the oldest verified cases in the US are 7 months old at most. Many are more recent- a surge coming after various places opened up, or after college students returned to an area, so those might be 3-4 months old. It's going to take awhile till they have a credible number of cases diagnosed 6+ months ago, papers can be written, and peer reviews completed. What we have now are anecdotes and telephone surveys. We need to use our brains in interpreting them.

You seem to believe that anyone concerned about this is "living in fear"- I've been attending church services
in person for the last 4 months, have been on 4 road trips, stayed at hotels and a B&B, and am back at the gym. I'm comfortable with all the precautions they and I are taking. I have never had groceries or takeout delivered.

So... I'm not exactly walled up in my home binge-watching Netflix and eating Papa John's.

Last edited by athena53; 10-27-2020 at 07:02 PM..

Old 10-27-2020, 09:07 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yeah, the lingering effects scare me. In our area, at least, the actual mortality rate is pretty low- 192 out of over 13,000 cases to date. Many were in LTC facilities early on. Even allowing for some mushiness in how a death is determined to be from COVID-19, odds of survival look pretty good.

I'm beginning to wonder if I had an early asymptomatic case- I'm 67 and fit, but when I started bicycling in the warm weather (around May), I noticed I was having a problem with hills. I could ride 20 miles on flat terrain but I just noticed I got out of breath more easily on hills. Same thing if I try to run up steps. It was a quantum change, not just a gradual "you're getting older" change. My guess: I left Bolivia in late March after a tour was curtailed, passing through 2 airports in Bolivia (only a handful of cases in the country at that point), then Miami, Houston and Kansas City. Fortunately, I stayed home for a couple of months after that other than quick grocery trips. No friend or family visits, church and gym were closed.

I'm not bothering with testing- even if I had it I probably would no longer have antibodies and it means nothing as far as future immunity, so I still have to be careful.
We'll honestly never know.

I had a respiratory infection based on what I was prescribed in late March after attending two full stadium basketball games in early March the week before things started locking down.

I remember being sick. I had bad bronchitis in December - that laid me out for a week, but the medication helped. I wasn't nearly as sick in March, but nothing helped. In a week or so, I was mostly over it.

I have had to take a few more breaks while hiking than expected. Is that a function of being overweight, exercising less, possibly some lingering COVID symptoms? I doubt I will ever know.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:14 AM

317 posts, read 239,120 times
In other Countries like india Covid 19 patients current treatments includes well fed food(lot of meat),Zinc and other tablets

Old 10-28-2020, 12:52 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I have a lot of respect for the damage anxiety can do to the human body. Likewise I'm a fervent believer in a positive approach to healing even in cases like cancer where the origin of the illness is not anxiety-related. The body is capable of healing miracles given a healthy state of mind. It isn't always under our control but creating a healthy state of mind creates the best possible circumstance for healing to take place.

The worst thing an ill person can do is allow an illness to own them, particularly their thoughts. Illness is not "My Covid-19" It is an invader which rightly belongs in the concern of the medical and spiritual healers whom we depend upon. In that way we separate ourselves from ownership and can release anxiety. What we ourselves need is knowledge, compliance with healthy guidelines and realistic acceptance.

Far too many of us have reacted with panic which is then accelerated in others around them. It's "catching." Media really creates a lot of this. Sometimes the more we think and talk about it the more anxious we become.

And what's deceptive about anxiety is that we can be full of it and not even recognize it. I was in denial until a participant here remarked that my increased forgetfulness could be a symptom of my denial of anxiety. Good observation and most welcome. Got to recognize it before you can fix it. LOL

I have a number of friends who appear to be living in prolonged fear which is a wretched response to disability and/or death since those things are universal and usually a normal part of a life cycle.

This is my opinion based on studies of anxiety/physical health and personal experience. I've followed this principle for forty years through several life-threatening illnesses and it has served me well. Or like someone else here said - Work for success.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:18 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

A lot of other countries seem to be opening up fully because they took the pandemic seriously.
Question to any person that walks into a dr office: Are you feeling tired? 99% people: YES

My state is open. We're fine down here.

Fear is horrible for the immune system.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:31 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Question to any person that walks into a dr office: Are you feeling tired? 99% people: YES

Fear is horrible for the immune system.
It's the other way around. They felt bad, but suddenly feel fine when they go to the doctor's office. It's a common phenomena that the symptoms disappear.

common

The Florida state's office is on its own. The cities have their reopening schedules in Florida. The governor is like Trump and tries to make himself relevant too late. A lot of people are avoiding Florida.

snow birds staying in Canada

Ignorance and lying is horrible for the immune system. It may be that the build up of guilt causes them to get sick, but more likely, it's the ignorance of the risks. We see that Christie took out an op-end piece on that very topic.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:05 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuninja View Post
In other Countries like india Covid 19 patients current treatments includes well fed food(lot of meat),Zinc and other tablets
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be working out too well, given the number of covid deaths, given that only about 20% of all deaths report a cause. 70% of the population lives in areas where no cause of death is ever recorded or reported.

Quote:

Fine? Maybe if you are comparing it to N & S Dakota and Wisconsin, but it's still 5x higher than Maine for current infection rates.

https://www.covidestim.org/

=====================================

I'm starting to wish that C-D would do like some other sites, and start dropping the ban-hammer on people who spread false/misinformation on covid.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:18 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuninja View Post
I didn’t start to feel better until I started vitamin D. That could also be part of why people in nursing homes do so poorly as well. They often lack the natural vitamin D others get. This is especially true when they were locked down in March.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:01 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I didn’t start to feel better until I started vitamin D. That could also be part of why people in nursing homes do so poorly as well. They often lack the natural vitamin D others get. This is especially true when they were locked down in March.
And they are prevented from having visitors. This is debilitating to people and a recipe for added depression for those who still have people in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness