Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 10:48 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times

Advertisements

I would still like to see a real study between those with vaccines and those without. No real test yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 01:35 AM

1,500 posts, read 885,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
Yes, just became eligible.Due to drugs taken and manufacture rebates that don’t apply if you have
Medicare part D, I elected to stay on Express Scripts for drugs.
Apparently the flu shot is covered under Medicare part D, And Express Scripts does not cover the flu shot.
Actually Medicare Part B will cover flu vaccine, also both pneumonia..

We don’t have D

Old 11-08-2020, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Not a flu shot- hope to get that tomorrow or Friday - but had a cortisone injection at a mid-size orthopedic practice yesterday. Doctor was running an hour late, so after checking in, I got to wait in my car and was called in later. Used hand sanitizer after manually hitting various buttons to check in.

Foreheads were scanned prior to admission and masks were required. Saw the doc using hand sanitizer in the hall outside the treatment room just before officially seeing him. Got the shot, used hand sanitizer and ditched my mask as soon as I was back in the car - used HS on the steering wheel, etc., too. Got home, took it easy and am better as the cortisone checks in, but have still been lazy today.

Other than the delay, it all seemed efficient and appropriate precautions were being taken, other than various staff members clustering in the fairly narrow hallway leading to the treatment room. I held my breath when I had to pass them. Covid is rising sharply in Kentucky now, so while I've been consistently cautious thus far, I will step it up even more until times get better.
You are a sensible person!

Old 11-08-2020, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I had an appt. for 9:10am, called when I got to the parking lot at 9am and was told to come up. I thought, great maybe I can get this over with sooner. There was one woman at the desk and she had to take several calls before checking me in. Meanwhile, 2 more people came into the office and were waiting. She checked me in and I went to the far end of the waiting room. The chairs were not socially distanced but it was only 3 of us so we could space out. Then, 3 more people came in and my appt time had passed. I was starting to get uncomfortable with so many people around. I don't go out unless a quick trip to pharmacy at the crack of dawn so I was feeling very uncomfortable being around people. Yes, all were wearing masks but it didn't help me feel any better.

I sat there with all these people for about 10 min before the nurse came out, who then told me they had run out of the higher does flu shot suggested for seniors. The nurse said he had called, never got a message. I was so uncomfortable being there I just said give me the regular dose and get this over with. I then had to sit in a exam room for 10 more minutes. I am thinking, WTH, this is just a flu shot, why is this taking so long. I was anxious to get out.

I was last at the Drs in July and at that time they were only taking 2 pts at a time in the office. I guess things have changed. Glad I don't have to go to the Dr often and really unless absolutely necessary would avoid ever having to do this again.

Is this now the norm? Is this what others have experienced? So many people in a waiting room?
We got our senior flu shot at CVS...I called first to make sure they had it, and when was a good time..

We went at 6pm....no line..we were in and out in 10 minutes....

Might be a good idea to call ahead if you need the senior type

Old 11-08-2020, 02:36 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I would still like to see a real study between those with vaccines and those without. No real test yet.
Here ya go: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm Summary-- about half the people who get the shot still get the flu. Getting the shot reduces the rate of needing ICU treatment by 1/4th -1/2 (pretty low rate anyways) and does not reduce the death rate.

First, a disclaimer-- statistical studies NEVER apply to the individual, only to the group. Mathematically speaking, YOU are NEVER "the one" who is helped by the treatment...of course, logically, someone has to be "the one."....

Once again, IMO, the stats are not so overwhelmingly definite that the medical profession (or anyone else) should be mandating getting the shot, nor shaming anyone for not getting it. Make your own decision based on your personal situation-- co-morbidities, ability to stand a week off work when sick, risk of exposing the frail to your illness, etc etc

Old 11-08-2020, 10:32 AM

326 posts, read 200,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Actually Medicare Part B will cover flu vaccine, also both pneumonia..

We don’t have D
The pharmacy called me 3 times afterwards looking for more info for someone to bill to.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:39 PM

22,844 posts, read 6,437,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Needed a routine dr office visit for blood pressure meds, got a flu shot for seniors while I was there...I was the only one in the waiting room.
Went back for a Dr. ordered blood test and the first shingles shot yesterday..7 people before me for the fasting blood test, one lady ate breakfast but wanted the test, they scurried around and finally took her blood anyway, I thought they would tell her to come back. The flu shot I had last week just left my arm a little sore and itchy. The shingles shot hurts my arm whenever I move it and I don't feel too great either....I am 73, sorry for the complaining. I'm thankful I can get help....

Old 11-10-2020, 08:13 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Went back for a Dr. ordered blood test and the first shingles shot yesterday..7 people before me for the fasting blood test, one lady ate breakfast but wanted the test, they scurried around and finally took her blood anyway, I thought they would tell her to come back. The flu shot I had last week just left my arm a little sore and itchy. The shingles shot hurts my arm whenever I move it and I don't feel too great either....I am 73, sorry for the complaining. I'm thankful I can get help....
For the shingles shot - it helps a LOT if you keep your arm raised the first day, and clench and unclench your fist every few minutes. Also it'll still hurt anyway. The first two days are the worst. After today you should be fine. If you can take an ibuprophen, take it.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:23 PM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
The pharmacy called me 3 times afterwards looking for more info for someone to bill to.
That should have been taken cafe of, before you got the shot. We had ours, at Walgreens, in & out in less than 10 minutes. But we had our medicare cards at the ready. Before the shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness