Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 09:04 AM

4,035 posts, read 1,885,863 times

Advertisements

I really cannot find this info - CDC be darned!

Hypothetical Scenario:
I have "close contact" with a person today, then never again. Three days from now, that person tests positive for COVID. How long - or at all - should I quarantine?

I am looking ONLY for the CDC link for this type of situation. Nothing else matters.

"14 days since your last contact" - is not clear, about when the other person tested for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 11:54 AM

Wow no takers on this yet hm?

Just goes to show - it ain't as "common knowledge" as it should be!

Old 11-09-2020, 01:14 PM

23,353 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Hmm, I don't really see the problem. Seems like you are quibbling over 3 days. AFAIK, no test can determine how long you have actually had the virus in your system unless an antibody test eventually provides an estimate.

Let's say you had this close contact on November 1 and went on your merry way. They got their positive test result on November 4 and inform you about it. But, if as you say you had no contact after November 1, why does the test date matter? To be conservative, quarantine yourself until November 14. That should provide the minimum of 14 days from the date of contact which is really the one that matters for you and anyone else you are in close contact with. The problem you're left with is other people you had close contact with between November 1 and November 4 when you weren't aware of your exposure. How long they might want to quarantine themselves should again be based on the date they were exposed to YOU.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-09-2020 at 01:28 PM..

Old 11-09-2020, 01:38 PM

Yes - I agree - November 14th.

But since the policy available does not clearly say that - and could possible contradict that - it's a conundrum here at work and other places.

The policy says this:

An infected person can spread COVID-19 starting from 48 hours (or 2 days) before the person has any symptoms or tests positive for COVID-19.

If you have no symptoms - and you just got a positive test - I'd say "close contacts" are stuck for 14 days since the last contact - even if it was 3 or 4 or 5 days ago, not just "2 days" as this policy says. I believe this statement to be a poor paraphrasing for the sake of a quick FAQ.

This policy is on the CDC website. Seems wrong. Thus the question.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,900,071 times
Call your local health department. They'll help you figure out if you need to quarantine, be tested, etc. When my dad died from covid, we called to ask how long my mom needed to quarantine so we could schedule Dad's funeral. and the health department asked for a lot of detailed information about how high my dad's temperature was on different days, and told us how long she had to quarantine. It was a lot more helpful than the CDC website, which I looked at first. It was also helpful when Mom decided she was ready to come out of quarantine to go to exercise classes before her days were up, because we were able to tell her that the local health department said she couldn't do that, and that kept her home until her quarantine days were officially finished.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:05 AM

The only policy this workplace will follow is the written CDC policy, even if it contradicts the doctor right in front of them. (Which, to be fair, it never should.)

The health dept. is not exactly a Unified Front on this situation.

Besides that - if the health dept. does not get their guidance from the CDC - where are they getting it?

Old 11-10-2020, 08:14 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,394,039 times
shhhhhhhh....... your the only one following it

Old 11-10-2020, 10:44 AM

I think some of you are misunderstanding my question - or downplaying the overall problem. No matter your politics - private sector business is still following OSHA - because, well, it's the law. OSHA's covid policy? "Do what the CDC says." Not what yout local health dept. says, nope. The CDC.
So - in effect - if you're an employer - you are legally required to follow the CDC policy or risk fines (unlikely) or lawsuits (highly likely) by anyone that misses work from COVID because you - the employer - did not follow OSHA. Just like slips, trips, and falls, you are required to provide a safe work environment.

And I am saying - the CDC faq page is confusing - but as it is written - two days before any positive test is the only contact that matters. Three days before - and you're safe. I do not see the logic in that. That's why I'm asking if the CDC has a written clear policy about this.

I think lots of folks who either do not work, do not care, or do not understand that OSHA is in fact The Law - fail to understand that COVID can cost you your job - quite easily. Your spouse too. Rather or not you will die or suffer or go the hospital - not likely - but losing your job? Entirely plausible. For that reason - if you have a job and NOT a lot of vacation time - you really, really, do not want to catch the 'Rona or be near anyone that does.

If I find out YOU had it - but came to work - knowingly - you will terminated immediately.

Are ya beginning to grasp why I need the CDC policy clarified?

Old 11-10-2020, 08:30 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,469,500 times
Default CDC: When to Quarantine Stay home if you might have been exposed to COVID-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I really cannot find this info - CDC be darned!

Hypothetical Scenario:
I have "close contact" with a person today, then never again. Three days from now, that person tests positive for COVID. How long - or at all - should I quarantine?

I am looking ONLY for the CDC link for this type of situation. Nothing else matters.

"14 days since your last contact" - is not clear, about when the other person tested for it.
It does not matter if you never have contact with someone again. You had contact with them while they were transmissible for the virus, thus you should quarantine for 14 days from the time you you had contact,
because it takes some time before the SARS-CoV-2 virus shows symptoms in the person and a person tests positive for COVID-19. They actually have COVID-19. Why do you think there were so many problems at the White House? The people were getting tested, but some were already sick even before the test confirmed it.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...uarantine.html

"Quarantine is used to keep someone who might have been exposed to COVID-19 away from others. Quarantine helps prevent spread of disease that can occur before a person knows they are sick or if they are infected with the virus without feeling symptoms. People in quarantine should stay home, separate themselves from others, monitor their health, and follow directions from their state or local health department."

The CDC goes on to detail who needs to quarantine and includes the following public chart on its website:

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 11-10-2020 at 08:41 PM..

Old 11-11-2020, 07:06 AM

SFBay...

I totally - and sincerely - understand what you are saying - and was generally abiding by that calendar - until some other helpful person brought THIS to my desk from the CDC:

Close Contact: Someone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period* starting from 2 days before illness onset (or, for asymptomatic patients, 2 days prior to test specimen collection) until the time the patient is isolated.

This contradicts the calendar. Or - rather - when given a choice between the two - which do you think most workplaces choose? Your own statement - about the White House - just goes to show - the policy is not clear.

Or - rather - it's clear - on two different pages, with two different messages.

I do not see how - logically - the "2 days prior..." makes any sense. What am I missing??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness