Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 09:15 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
A runny nose can be 100 different things and most of them there's nothing a doctor can do. She may just have to stay home and wait for this to pass. Kids shouldn't be going to school when they're sick anyway. Adults shouldn't go to work sick either. That's how diseases spread and not just COVID.
Wow, this thread is just one more proof of how things have changed in the 50+ years since I was in school. Back then, kids had to be too sick to get out of bed to be allowed to stay home, and doctors' notes weren't required for their return except in very few circumstances.

It is amazing how many kids survived with so many teachers and parents who did not worry about slight fevers and runny noses. (And, yes, COVID is a good reason for many people to be paranoid now, but I am talking about teachers and parents of one year ago versus parents and teachers of 50 years ago).

And, yes, I do know that many people and other kids became sick because of this lackadaisical attitude, but people just accepted it, and I really do think that people and kids might have been hardier back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 09:33 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
My daughter has runny nose but no fever. She is getting better and most likely will have no symptoms in a few days but needs a doctor's note to go back to school next week. Her doctor cancelled her annual check-up today and doesn't want to see her until 2 weeks later. It's a shame that doctors not seeing patients when they are sick or providing necessary services.
This is now standard procedure at most doctor's offices due to covid. Is this the first time you've tried to go to the doctor's since the pandemic started?

At ALL of my doctor's offices they will not see you if you have had ANY sort of cold/flu/respiratory symptoms, or fever, or exposure to anyone with covid (any of the above) within the past 14 days. You have to cancel your appointment and make a new one 14 days later.

Your daughter's school is likely looking for confirmation she doesn't have covid. I'd suggest going to a public testing site and getting her tested and ALSO setting up a telemedicine appointment with her pediatrician (just in case her school wants both notes.) But be aware that if the school is looking for the pediatrician to say "this isn't covid" there isn't really a conclusive way for them to say that without testing--some people are entirely asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms. You would probably save yourself time to go ahead and get your daughter tested yourself if you want to get her back into school quickly rather than have to wait two weeks.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:22 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
This is now standard procedure at most doctor's offices due to covid. Is this the first time you've tried to go to the doctor's since the pandemic started?

At ALL of my doctor's offices they will not see you if you have had ANY sort of cold/flu/respiratory symptoms, or fever, or exposure to anyone with covid (any of the above) within the past 14 days. You have to cancel your appointment and make a new one 14 days later.

Your daughter's school is likely looking for confirmation she doesn't have covid. I'd suggest going to a public testing site and getting her tested and ALSO setting up a telemedicine appointment with her pediatrician (just in case her school wants both notes.) But be aware that if the school is looking for the pediatrician to say "this isn't covid" there isn't really a conclusive way for them to say that without testing--some people are entirely asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms. You would probably save yourself time to go ahead and get your daughter tested yourself if you want to get her back into school quickly rather than have to wait two weeks.
This ^^^^^^^^

Old 11-12-2020, 10:29 AM

483 posts, read 691,779 times
ITA, I went to see my allergist in April, and the receptionist just about fell out at the people bringing kids with them. Some well dressed young couple brought their baby (!!), the mother was unmasked (!!!) - someone else had brought their clearly under-12 kid to stand in the foyer hoping to get the kid a test; it was me and one other grownup seated cater-corner from each other - as soon as the little family left, the receptionist called the scheduling center and gave them a piece of her mind! "Do not, not, not let people bring their babies in here!! No kids under 12!" The chances are in fact higher that the kid will *get* COVID, running around in places where contagion runs rampant already, which would be about the definition of medical offices!

Old 11-12-2020, 10:42 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post

The psychological toll is probably what is causing the doctor to react like that.

That said, I'm not sure if this is the full story. If the doctor's office is open, they should have protocols in place for COVID screening. A runny nose is not a known symptom for COVID, so I don't understand why the pediatrician would refuse to see your child.
A runny nose is a known COVID symptom in children and toddlers, as is a stuffy nose.

Speaking from personal experience, I had a sinus infection a few weeks back. I had COVID (positive swab and positive for antibodies) back in April. When I called for an appointment re the sinuses I had to go get swabbed for COVID before I could be seen in the office. Swab was back in 24 hours and about 2 hours after that I was sitting in my PCPs office waiting for an exam.

In working in medical education and speaking with various providers, the swab requirement to be seen prior to an in-office visit is basically standard protocol in nearly all offices right now. And that swab must be within 3 days of the office visit.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:38 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I agree with the others that this is standard procedure for a lot of docs now due to COVID. Do you have a Walgreens or CVS near you? You can go to one of their clinics usually same day and get a note. They also take insurance.

However, because COVID presents differently, and usually more mildly, in kids, anyone who sees her is probably going to want to do a COVID test and won't give you a note to go back to school until the results come in.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:57 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Just more evidence that doctors are scum. They want the money of a hero but don't want to actually do the hard work.
The girl could be asymptomatic for CoVid
Likely why the school wants a doctor’s note to readmit her
It used to only be 48 hrs w/o fever

Get a CoVid test for her

Old 11-12-2020, 09:07 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
My daughter has runny nose but no fever. She is getting better and most likely will have no symptoms in a few days but needs a doctor's note to go back to school next week. Her doctor cancelled her annual check-up today and doesn't want to see her until 2 weeks later. It's a shame that doctors not seeing patients when they are sick or providing necessary services.
I found many doctors I worked with being the biggest wussies. Meanwhile other hospital staff are risking their own health to care for others while the doctors stand and dictate behind the wall. Oh I have so many stories regarding this..lol

Old 11-12-2020, 11:38 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I found many doctors I worked with being the biggest wussies. Meanwhile other hospital staff are risking their own health to care for others while the doctors stand and dictate behind the wall. Oh I have so many stories regarding this..lol

Doctors have died from COVID-19.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:43 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I don't blame doctors for trying to protect themselves. Where would we be if they didn't and were dying because of it? Its really not that easy to become a doctor so give them a bit of slack on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness