Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 10:06 AM

936 posts, read 2,082,088 times

Advertisements

My daughter has runny nose but no fever. She is getting better and most likely will have no symptoms in a few days but needs a doctor's note to go back to school next week. Her doctor cancelled her annual check-up today and doesn't want to see her until 2 weeks later. It's a shame that doctors not seeing patients when they are sick or providing necessary services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 10:45 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
My daughter has runny nose but no fever. She is getting better and most likely will have no symptoms in a few days but needs a doctor's note to go back to school next week. Her doctor cancelled her annual check-up today and doesn't want to see her until 2 weeks later. It's a shame that doctors not seeing patients when they are sick or providing necessary services.
If it is just a well check I can understand the doctors refusal. I am sure if your child had a medical issue they would see her. Considering you want to get her back in school she is obviously not ill. A runny nose and no fever is not reason enough to bring her to a doctor.
It's a scary time to be a nurse or doctor, or any staff working with them. They are going to err on the side of caution.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:46 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If it is just a well check I can understand the doctors refusal. I am sure if your child had a medical issue they would see her. Considering you want to get her back in school she is obviously not ill. A runny nose and no fever is not reason enough to bring her to a doctor.
It's a scary time to be a nurse or doctor, or any staff working with them. They are going to err on the side of caution.
Just more evidence that doctors are scum. They want the money of a hero but don't want to actually do the hard work.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:33 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Just more evidence that doctors are scum. They want the money of a hero but don't want to actually do the hard work.
Evidence doctors are scum? Excuse me? Where is the evidence? The kid has a runny nose and is otherwise fine.

Let me ask you who do you go to when you are sick or have physical trauma? I sure hope its not a doctor!

Old 11-10-2020, 01:33 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Did everybody miss the part about she "needs a doctor's note to go back to school next week" ?

Can't the doc at least do a "Tele-a-Doc" phone "visit" to write the kid a note. ?

Old 11-10-2020, 02:54 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

My doc didn't want anyone in office unless serious. Choices are tele-med or urgent care to get note for your kid

Nor scum, it's COVID time!!!!!!!

Old 11-10-2020, 03:00 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Will your doctor do a tele-health visit?

Old 11-10-2020, 03:24 PM

7,929 posts, read 9,152,376 times
A symptom like that could require a covid test or a differential diagnosis to get her back into school. Just a plain doctor note is not always accepted by the district due to state requirements.

I feel bad for some of the kids in my district who needed multiple covid tests so far for different covid symptoms: fever, running nose, cough, rash, sore throat, diarrhea. Covid has so many weird symptoms and some states are being very strict.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:26 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
It's bad poicy for schools to require a Dr's note for illness related school absence. Many childhood illnesses are self limited viral illnesses which any mom (or dad) should be able to take care of at home until the child recovers. It is counter productive to go to the Dr for every cold or allergy attack.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:48 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Is the school asking for a note saying that the child doesn't have Covid-19? Then take the kid to a public testing site and get her tested, and give the nurse the negative test result. Are they asking for a note to "prove" that there was a medical reason for the kid to have been out for a few days? Then take it up with the school nurse, the principal, the school board, for this absurd policy. Send the kid back to school with a note that YOU write, saying, "My child was out with a runny nose for a few days, but had no other symptoms. She is completely recovered now."

The absurdity that children who were kept home for minor illness should have to go see a doctor to confirm that they are now well, endangers medical personnel. Imagine the exposure risk for everyone in the doctor's office, if they were to have to "bless" every child who had had a minor illness, before that child could return to school. If Covid is the issue, negative test from a testing center. Otherwise, schools should accept the parent's word that the child has had a minor illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness