Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 09:39 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

I'll add: I've been avoiding my Bible reading for some reason. Last night I woke up, ignored my phone and grabbed my Bible. After my daily reading I went right back to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 10:45 AM

708 posts, read 1,296,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I'm not talking about having difficulty falling asleep - there are nights, like last night where my body just refused to go to sleep at all. This started about a year and a half ago. My doctor (since retired) prescribed Ambien, which works great, but I don't want to use it long term or be dependent on it.

I've tried everything - limiting or eliminating things that might affect sleep like caffeine, alcohol and sugar, but really, I can have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, 2 beers at dinner and a piece of chocolate after dinner and sleep like a baby sometimes so it doesn't make sense that it would affect me some times and not others.

I've tried most herbal/natural remedies as well as mediation or those sleep youtube videos. I try to get some exercise every day - harder now without the gym but I do take long walks and do stretching.

I'm at my wits end. At this point, I just want to know what's causing this. When I'm lying in bed not able to sleep, sometimes it feels like I'm anxious or edgy physically, but my mind is calm. I used to have middle of the night insomnia where my mind raced at night, but that went away after I retired and falling asleep was never an issue.

Also, I absolutely can't sleep during the day - even with ear plugs and blackout curtains, my body just refuses to let me sleep. Sometimes, if I'm lucky I can catch a short nap, but it doesn't really help when I've had little to no sleep the night before.

Has anyone ever experienced this and how did you cope?
I've been using Ambien for over 30 years continuously and have no problems at all. My PCP who prescribes the medicine has no problem with me taking it long term since there have been no side effects.

I started taking Ambien in the 80s because I was doing a lot of international travel and I had a hard time not taking it once my travels were discontinued. I saw a sleep doctor who "was the best" sleep doctor who told me to stop taking Ambien for 3 weeks and I would have no problem. Worst 3 weeks of my life.
I went back to taking Ambien and haven't stopped, nor will I.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:02 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I've been using Ambien for over 30 years continuously and have no problems at all. My PCP who prescribes the medicine has no problem with me taking it long term since there have been no side effects.

I started taking Ambien in the 80s because I was doing a lot of international travel and I had a hard time not taking it once my travels were discontinued. I saw a sleep doctor who "was the best" sleep doctor who told me to stop taking Ambien for 3 weeks and I would have no problem. Worst 3 weeks of my life.
I went back to taking Ambien and haven't stopped, nor will I.
Well that's interesting. I take it 5-6 times a month - a script of 30 pills lasts me 6 months. Maybe I shouldn't sweat it and just use them when I need them!

I will say that I did have bloodwork done at my annual in September and everything was normal. My fasting blood sugar was high at 99, but still in the normal range (I stop eating by 7 PM), and my TSH was high at 4.05, but still normal and per the doctor normal for my age. Getting old is not for sissies!

Last edited by in_newengland; 11-21-2020 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: fixed it :)

Old 11-20-2020, 06:42 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Why worry about becoming addicted to Ambien when it works so well for you? Sleep is very healing to the body.

When you get your caffeine (a drug by the way) every day, do you worry about that addiction? Given the times we're going thru, if adding one more addiction to your life, makes your life more livable, then do it!

Old 11-21-2020, 06:46 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Well that's interesting. I take it 5-6 times a month - a script of 30 pills lasts me 6 months. Maybe I shouldn't sweat it and just use them when I need them!

I will say that I did have bloodworm done at my annual in September and everything was normal. My fasting blood sugar was high at 99, but still in the normal range (I stop eating by 7 PM), and my TSH was high at 4.05, but still normal and per the doctor normal for my age. Getting old is not for sissies!
I take Lunesta but I often cut them in half. It's often enough for me to fall asleep but no grogginess the next day. Sometimes I only have time for 6 hours or so of sleep by the time I take it, so a whole would leave me sleepy.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:22 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Why worry about becoming addicted to Ambien when it works so well for you? Sleep is very healing to the body.

When you get your caffeine (a drug by the way) every day, do you worry about that addiction? Given the times we're going thru, if adding one more addiction to your life, makes your life more livable, then do it!
Good point. I guess I've just heard that I shouldn't take them long term from a few different sources so that was the basis for my concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I take Lunesta but I often cut them in half. It's often enough for me to fall asleep but no grogginess the next day. Sometimes I only have time for 6 hours or so of sleep by the time I take it, so a whole would leave me sleepy.
I've started cutting mine on half - most of the time it does the trick. I was reluctant to take any kind of sleep aid because I was afraid of it making me groggy, but fortunately Ambien doesn't do that to me. I also don't have any of the unpleasant side effects like sleep walking or sleep eating (or worse, sleep driving!).

BTW it was blood work not bloodworm, darned auto correct must have gotten me, LOL. Thank you everyone who took time to respond to me, I have lots of new things to try and am hopeful that I can figure out a way to manage this odd thing my body has bestowed upon me in my getting-old age!

Old 11-21-2020, 08:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Moonlady - how about a weighted blanket. I've just started using one. After three weeks I do think it's helping.

I am 60 years old and have been a poor sleeper all my life. I just never sleep.

I spend my days in a haze of exhaustion and pain because of no restorative sleep. I refuse to take sleeping pills, and all the OTC remedies have not done much. I do take magnesium and D-3. I do use CBD but only topically. I rub it on the back of my knees, it helps the restless legs.

But so far the weighted blanket seems like it's going to be the greatest help to me.

PS I saw in one post you said you don't eat after 7 pm. Perhaps you are hungry. Have a light snack a half hour before bed. A small bowl of cereal for example.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:16 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Moonlady - how about a weighted blanket. I've just started using one. After three weeks I do think it's helping.

I am 60 years old and have been a poor sleeper all my life. I just never sleep.

I spend my days in a haze of exhaustion and pain because of no restorative sleep. I refuse to take sleeping pills, and all the OTC remedies have not done much. I do take magnesium and D-3. I do use CBD but only topically. I rub it on the back of my knees, it helps the restless legs.

But so far the weighted blanket seems like it's going to be the greatest help to me.

PS I saw in one post you said you don't eat after 7 pm. Perhaps you are hungry. Have a light snack a half hour before bed. A small bowl of cereal for example.
I was thinking of trying the weighted blanket, however both me and my fiancé wake up hot (another gift of age, lol) and I was thinking they might make it worse. Have you found that to be an issue, or does it feel hotter underneath one than a normal blanket?

Old 11-21-2020, 09:26 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Sounds like you're already trying some good techniques.

One thing that helps me fall asleep without anxiety is to have an audiobook. I start it playing and have it on a sleep timer for fifteen minutes. If after fifteen minutes, I'm still awake, I listen to another fifteen minutes. Usually it doesn't take long and the voice of the narrator soothes me to sleep. If it does take me a little while that night, or I wake in the middle of the night, I'm not lying there getting anxious about why I haven't fallen asleep yet. I'm just enjoying a good book.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:53 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I had insomnia my entire life and have never been able to sleep more than 6 hours at a stretch. I just go with the flow. It was hard when I was working, but I always worked the pm shift so I could sleep in and still have enough time to get ready for work.

These days there are times I'm asleep at 8pm on the couch in front of the TV. I'll wake up around 10:30 and will be up until 3am to 5am. There are times I'm up all night until 5-7am. It's just the way my body works. I don't stress over it. I sleep when I'm tired and I feel fine. Being retired gives you that luxury. Don't stress over it Moonlady. Just listen to your body. I've never been one that needed a lot of sleep, and I've always been a night owl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness