Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 09:53 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I was thinking of trying the weighted blanket, however both me and my fiancé wake up hot (another gift of age, lol) and I was thinking they might make it worse. Have you found that to be an issue, or does it feel hotter underneath one than a normal blanket?
I am also hot at night. The weighted blanket is not hot, unless you chose to put some kind of hot cover on it like flannel or fleece. I put a cotton cover on it.

I would not recommend a weighted blanket that covers two people though. A weighted blanket needs to be just on the one body, so it can settle and form all around you.

I get myself situated in a comfortable sleep position (side sleeper), pajamas straightened out and all, then lie still. Once I am still I can feel the weighted blanket settle around me, molding to me, settling me in place.

I am severely claustrophobic, and I did worry this would be a problem, but it isn't. The blanket just feels like it is gently holding me in place. I tend to toss and turn and thrash all night, sheets and blankets hopelessly twisted. The blanket has stopped all that.

Some reviews I read had me worried it might make my arthritis pain or degenerative disc disease pain worse. It hasn't.

I am 146 pounds, 60 years old, with a lot of degenerative joint trouble, and use a 15 pound blanket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I had insomnia my entire life and have never been able to sleep more than 6 hours at a stretch. I just go with the flow. It was hard when I was working, but I always worked the pm shift so I could sleep in and still have enough time to get ready for work.

These days there are times I'm asleep at 8pm on the couch in front of the TV. I'll wake up around 10:30 and will be up until 3am to 5am. There are times I'm up all night until 5-7am. It's just the way my body works. I don't stress over it. I sleep when I'm tired and I feel fine. Being retired gives you that luxury. Don't stress over it Moonlady. Just listen to your body. I've never been one that needed a lot of sleep, and I've always been a night owl.

6 hours at a stretch? That sounds like a massive amount of sleep to me. I celebrate if I get 2 consecutive hours of sleep. Unfortunately I still work so don't have the luxury of sleeping in. And my natural clock would prefer I go to bed around 11 and get up around 7 a.m. My deepest sleep (if any) usually occurs after 4 a.m. Since in real life I have to get up at 5 a.m, I never get that deep restorative sleep except on weekends, if then.

I've got five years until retirement.

Old 11-21-2020, 10:45 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
I have considered the weighted blanket also and was looking for one that is not too hot. We currently sleep under a lightweight down blanket with a cotton cover and it provides just the right amount of temperature control. I love the idea of a weighted blanket but thanks to menopause I sometimes get very warm at night!

Old 11-21-2020, 11:03 AM

6,450 posts, read 3,147,095 times
OP, what's your family history? I've never slept well, since I was a teen ager. I wouldn't doubt that working rotating shift work, off and on, during my career didn't help either, but then I started looking back at some of the history in my family, especially on my father's side of the family.

And in looking back, I realized that my father never got a lot of sleep, his one younger sister, that I knew pretty well, never got much sleep either, as she worked nights in a hospital, and her daughter, my cousin, is also what you could call an "occasional sleeper". I can recall one time, probably 35-40 years ago, when I came home in the morning, after working an overnight shift, went to bed (as I usually did, when on the "graveyard shift), and didn't wake up till late that evening. I slept for so long, about 13 hours, that I almost didn't make it back to work on time. That was the first, and only time, I slept that much. Usually, about 4-5 hours sleep is the most that I get.

And FWIW, I'm close to 70...............

Old 11-21-2020, 11:42 AM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I am also hot at night. The weighted blanket is not hot, unless you chose to put some kind of hot cover on it like flannel or fleece. I put a cotton cover on it.

I would not recommend a weighted blanket that covers two people though. A weighted blanket needs to be just on the one body, so it can settle and form all around you.

I get myself situated in a comfortable sleep position (side sleeper), pajamas straightened out and all, then lie still. Once I am still I can feel the weighted blanket settle around me, molding to me, settling me in place.

I am severely claustrophobic, and I did worry this would be a problem, but it isn't. The blanket just feels like it is gently holding me in place. I tend to toss and turn and thrash all night, sheets and blankets hopelessly twisted. The blanket has stopped all that.

Some reviews I read had me worried it might make my arthritis pain or degenerative disc disease pain worse. It hasn't.

I am 146 pounds, 60 years old, with a lot of degenerative joint trouble, and use a 15 pound blanket.
You so much, I probably would have gone out and bought one big enough to cover the entire bed!

Old 11-21-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I have considered the weighted blanket also and was looking for one that is not too hot. We currently sleep under a lightweight down blanket with a cotton cover and it provides just the right amount of temperature control. I love the idea of a weighted blanket but thanks to menopause I sometimes get very warm at night!

See my post up above. The weighted blanket is not hot. If you put a cover on it that is hot, it will be hot because the cover itself is hot, but a cotton cover is fine.

But a weighted blanket, in my opinion, is not meant for duo use. It would defeat the purpose. You want it to form a gentle mold around your entire form, that's the purpose and benefit. It's really lovely once you get used to it.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You so much, I probably would have gone out and bought one big enough to cover the entire bed!

The one I bought is 48 inches wide and 72 inches long. I sleep alone (except for the cats) on a queen size bed. The thing is, you don't really want it too wide or too long. It's heavy. If it's so wide it hangs off the sides of the bed it's going to slide off you in the night, onto the floor. Each person in the bed should have his or her own. In my opinion anyway.

Last edited by catsmom21; 11-21-2020 at 12:28 PM..

Old 11-21-2020, 12:42 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
The most natural things to do is to listen to some relaxing music to help put you to sleep. Or drinking Sleepytime tea by Celestial Seasonings. But the best thing is using Hemp Extract Oil. It does wonders.
Even in ole Texas you can get hemp. Says here:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/01...you-need-know/

If hemp works to help sleep, there you go.

I have an edible about 6 pm and enjoy TV with it---plus I can forget about my joint pain.

Then I sleep straight through the night, never waking except occasionally for the bathroom but go right back to sleep. Often, I even skip that!

If I don't have edibles, alcohol will start me off sleeping, but 4 hours later I'm awake and have to read my Kindle until dawn, then go back to sleep.

I much prefer the uninterrupted sleep that mj provides---every day I am grateful for great sleep.
I still read the Kindle for 1/2 to one hour in bed though---gets me "ready" for sleep. And no lamp to turn off!

Old 11-21-2020, 08:10 PM

423 posts, read 282,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Even in ole Texas you can get hemp. Says here:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/01...you-need-know/

If hemp works to help sleep, there you go.

I have an edible about 6 pm and enjoy TV with it---plus I can forget about my joint pain.

Then I sleep straight through the night, never waking except occasionally for the bathroom but go right back to sleep. Often, I even skip that!

If I don't have edibles, alcohol will start me off sleeping, but 4 hours later I'm awake and have to read my Kindle until dawn, then go back to sleep.

I much prefer the uninterrupted sleep that mj provides---every day I am grateful for great sleep.
I still read the Kindle for 1/2 to one hour in bed though---gets me "ready" for sleep. And no lamp to turn off!

I did not know that there is a hemp edible, only in CBD products. Maybe it is from the place you get yours?

I have other reasons I use it for besides sleep. Sometimes I use relaxing teas as I previously mentioned. Not all the time I have sleep issues either. And they also make a salve I use to help my other health issues.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:56 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,148,432 times
For me (age 52, post-menopause), I find a combination of melatonin plus reading until I'm literally falling asleep works best for me. I read on my Kindle in bed in a very dark room. If I read before getting in bed, even if I'm already nodding off, by the time I make it to bed, I'm too awake to fall asleep quickly.

I was using a melatonin from some health website which tasted awful but seemed to work -- until it no longer did. I switched to this product a few months ago, and I find it quite effective:

https://www.natrol.com/store/natrol-...-support-berry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness